Whiskeys

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Whiskeys

Post by buksida »

Name Taken wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 am I drank a small bottle of Hong Thong and it left me with a hangover that lasted 2 days! :shock:
That stuff is brutal.
The Thai attempts at making whisky are woeful (just like their beer), that stuff is gut rot.

I've been getting into the Tendo, Japanese Whisky, and it's not bad (much better than that Bells toilet water). Available at CJ shops for about 350 a bottle. Its not a patch on real highland Scotch, but I can't take a loan out here whenever I want a bottle of something decent.

tendo.jpg
tendo.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

As the subject came up can I ask those who buy locally if Villa or otherwise are carrying a stock of Ardbeg 10 year old, one of my favourites. I should be flying back soon and usually get something good at the airport. My stock at home is very low with the Octomore 8.1 nearly empty and apart from a bottle of Mortlach 18 which is saved for special occasions needs restocking. Singapore usually has a good selection and I can see a bottle of Laphroiag or Lagavulin plus, if I think I can get away with it another peaty malt to see me through the 11 day incarceration.
Have the prices gone down after the recent announcement about tax reductions or are we still paying premium prices for decent whisky. I sometimes fall back on a blend but enjoy my single malts from Islay.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gregjam wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 am Have the prices gone down after the recent announcement about tax reductions or are we still paying premium prices for decent whisky.
Silly premium, likewise for wine.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Gregjam wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:02 am Have the prices gone down after the recent announcement about tax reductions or are we still paying premium prices for decent whisky.
Instead of going down VM increased prices for all alcoholic drinks.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

Anyone know where I can buy a bottle of Drambuie?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Pretty sure I've seen Drambuie for sale at Sun Store on Pala-U.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@12.57211 ... 8192?hl=en
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

sateeb wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:44 am Pretty sure I've seen Drambuie for sale at Sun Store on Pala-U.
Yes, they have it, I was just in there for some biscuits. ( McVitie's Ginger Nuts, incidentally. )
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:11 am
sateeb wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:44 am Pretty sure I've seen Drambuie for sale at Sun Store on Pala-U.
Yes, they have it, I was just in there for some biscuits. ( McVitie's Ginger Nuts, incidentally. )
Guys can you provide location details again, the link for google maps will not work for me
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

On google maps search for White Bean Hua Hin. The supermarket is right next door.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

sateeb wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:36 pm On google maps search for White Bean Hua Hin. The supermarket is right next door.
Thanks guys got the location, will try it out later.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We'll never see this here, which may be a good thing.

php4tn0M6PM.jpg
php4tn0M6PM.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Coca-Cola is putting Jack & Coke in a can

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/06/13/busi ... F91AcMnksY
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The bottled version is available online within Thailand, so I don't think it'll be too long.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I've got a small Whisky collection at the condo which hasn't been touched in a while since I'm 'off-it' just now.
A few days ago I had a neighbour visit so I thought I'd crack open a new bottle of GlenGlassaugh. The cork completely disintegrated upon opening and the fragments had to be pushed into the good stuff.
Now I'm concerned my whole collection will be suffering the same...
So no more duty-free whisky on trips back from work.
Anyone found the same issue?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Whisky never hangs around that long in my house. :oops:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Yes sadly I’ve experienced the same - the humidity causes all sorts of problems - whisky corks being one and another I’ve suffered from is the glue on shoes/trainers, but it’s the whisky that’s the biggest issue, in fact you’re message prompted me to check my quite expensive bottle of Blue Label and although the cork is still in one piece, it’s not as tight a fit as I’m sure it should be - I did a quick taste test and it was still fine fortunately!!
27274DD6-0D39-4771-8AAB-A590E97B721A.jpeg
27274DD6-0D39-4771-8AAB-A590E97B721A.jpeg (101.19 KiB) Viewed 1238 times