Are ceiling fans effective ?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I already have an effective A/C in the bedroom. There is a standard light fitting with a naff shade which I was going to replace with a nice light fitting but after looking in Home Pro and Big Kiang I thought of fitting one of the fan/light combis. Are they effective ? I thought of using at night or after a period of having the A/C on or if the weather is a little cooler. And presumably they are cheaper to run than A/C.

Also, if they are effective, what makes them effective to enable me to choose from the massive variety on offer. Is it the length or thickness of the blade or the type of material they are made from ? or what else ?

Thanks in advance. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Are ceiling fans effective ?

Post by hhfarang »

It depends on the fan. The imported ones or ones from better Thai companies that will reach good speeds are pretty good, especially if you are directly under them. Don't buy the cheapest Thai or Chinese ones as they are low quality and you'll be disappointed. Also if they are on a porch or in an area that is open to the humidity a lot don't get wooden blades as they will start to sag over time. The plastic (fake wood) or metal blades don't droop but I've seen the metal ones rust.

The best one's we have are the top of the line ones from the companies Hunter and Sunlight.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

I find them excellent for sleeping. I turn on the a/c, and close the door for 15 mins. and have a swim.
When its time to sleep I turn off a/c and put the fan on the lowest quietest speed, keeping the BR door closed but windows open.
I'm perfectly comfy all night and no respiratory problems from the a/c. Works for me, maybe not for everyone.
I have Sunlight fans and no problems.
Happiness can't buy money
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Concentrate on the motor. The two you're going to find here most commonly are 'stack' motors and 'pancake' motors. The 'stack' type are always good in my experience, quiet and last forever. The 'pancake' can be high quality or low quality and you can usually tell that by the price. Following links have some details and there is more if you Google "ceiling fan motors". http://www.delmarfans.com/product_rating.cfm http://www.lampdepot.com/page111.htm Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

About ten months of the year we sleep only with the fans on, which is much cheaper than A/C. Sometimes we cool the room down for about 1 hour before we go to sleep.

We bought 8 of the fan/light combinations at Pure (Index) at about 2000 Baht per piece. But at Homepro or Big Kiang they have the same types, only the prices vary slightly. What we don't want to miss is a switch on the wall, reachable from the bed, where you can regulate the speed and the light. Because with this strings on the fan you never know which speed is set.
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

pitsch wrote: What we don't want to miss is a switch on the wall, reachable from the bed, where you can regulate the speed and the light. Because with this strings on the fan you never know which speed is set.
Get a fan with a remote control and then there is no problem with changing the speed or putting the light on. I have also been told the fan should have at least 5 blades
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Forgot to mention. Compass East Industries Thailand produces Sunlight and Compass East brand, which are their premium fans. I have Compass East in the house here and they are a better fan than Sunlight which I had in Pattaya. Very strong and quiet motors. If you can find them, good choice along with Hunter as HHF mentions. The biggest selection you're going to find though will all be Sunlight brand. On their web site here you can find both Compass East and Sunlight models. http://www.ceifan.com/index.php?langtyp ... pypelist=1 Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Do not confuse "Chinese" with Taiwan. The fans that the following company has far exceed the quality any of the Thai manufacturers.

http://www.mrken-fan.com/about

I will not live in a house without ceiling fans! In a big room they will also assist the efficiency of the Air Con by improving the air circulation. I have used fans here for more than 20 years, and the only ones I have had trouble with are Sunlight.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

What about electricity consumption compared to stand-up fans? All the houses I've rented with ceiling fans seem to have higher electricity bills......or perhaps they just have always been old units in the houses and thus more expensive.

I also can't get the damned image of one spinning off and round the room turning everything into spam, unlikely I know........but......sloppy installation/manufacture etc being all too possible here (would be cool to have a paranoid emoticon to use).

Sorry, just me being silly.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

In a pinch on a rainy day SF you can hang laundry on them and it will be dry by morning. Don't forget to balance the load though. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Everybody seems to have the same plan, cool the room for an hour with A/C and then use the fan to blow this cooled air over you. Remember before a/c thats all that they had and were VERY happy with the effect.

Just to complete the picture although it is not a factor here. Most fans can be reversed and blow up to the ceiling. In Canada they are used this way in the winter to blow the warm air that is close to the ceilings down the walls.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Loads of good info, thanks all.

Like Spitfire I have seen many that appear to 'wobble' as they go round especially the fast ones........maybe best not to have it fitted directly over the bed :oops:

Any idea on cost for a decent one ? (I am not back until the end of Oct so I cannot walk to HomePro and check). They started at under 2,000 baht I think at the bottom end of the market and Big Kiang charge only 500 Baht for fitting plus the cost of any additional cable etc.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote:Do not confuse "Chinese" with Taiwan.
Despite the press, not all Chinese products are cr@p - we have ''Midea'' fans around the house and office. Quiet, reliable and cost effective...... very much unlike the workforce here!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

The most effective ones are the 'industrial' metal blade types usually white in colour with 5 -6 long blades.............
When the blades are balanced properly there shouldn't be any wobbles.
Some of the cheap wooden blade types with fancy light fittings underneath are more for decoration.
They just stir the hot air around and increase room temperature with their under-rated motors running too hot.
If air-conditioners are too costly, evaporative coolers work well where the fan blows over a continually wet cloth or some other material.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Dysons new Bladeless Fans! 8)