Internet Speed

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Internet Speed

Post by pharvey »

As is the norm in China (and much similar in Thailand I'm sure), certain services don't exactly live up to their billing.......

I have a broadband connection both at home and at the office which in general is fine for the usual (emails, web surfing etc), but struggles with large downloads and "live streams" for example.

My problem is that I need to set up video conferencing both at home and at work and judging by a recent test on www.speedtest.net, my connections are simply not going to be man enough.

The local server/supplier is not much help and a lot is lost in translation.....

Can anyone tell me whether there is a box of tricks out there where I could bring 2 or more connections in converting to 1 "boosted" connection? Or are there any other methods of increasing upload/download speeds?

FYI results from speedtest: -

"Ping" (Whatever it is)... 610 ms
Download : 0.39 Mb/s
Upload : 0.30 Mb/s

This could be a little slower than normal, with it being Sunday afternoon and every bugger and his dog is online...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Re: Internet Speed

Post by pharvey »

Should also point out that the test was done through the Hong Kong server, which in general is the route taken for "international" sites etc.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Just a side comment Pharvey waiting for the gurus to reply. Have you tried Skype for your video conferences simply to just try it and see if a better method than what you have already attempted? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Pete, thanks for the response - yes, have tried SKYPE video conferencing, in fact this is generally the way we like to go due to indifferent internet speeds. We have offices dotted around the world, so connection speeds are a common problem, although offices in North America and Europe with superior internet connections/speeds do tend to prefer some of the more advanced conferencing software.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

I just sent the following self-explanatory email:

Triple T Internet 25th May, 2010
3BB
contact@3bb.co.th
Bangkok

Subject: your TTT/3BB services

Gentlemen,

I have with you an account no: XXXXXXX with service no: YYYYYYYY

My contract is 3 M that has cost me about 2000 THB/month. For several months now your speed have gotten steadily slower and now the contact frequently freezes totally for period lasting up to 20 minutes. Frequently there is a longish period of good speed terminating with total freezing of net speed for longish periods.

Of course one can not work with this kind of unsteady and greatly varying net speed. I have complained about this over the email as well as at your service number 1530 and also visiting your office in Hua Hin.

When phoning number 1530 and trying to get service I have been put on hold for 15 – 20 minutes. Therefore I see no reason to use this number anymore. When I visited your office in Hua Hin on May 24th, I met with your local representative, a gentleman with An Attitude, he suggested I should terminate my contract with you. I confess I find this suggestion rather unusual, but I do understand the frustration of you gentleman with An Attitude as he seems to be faced with a steady stream of dissatisfied customers all complaining about the same thing: your net speed. While I was at your office two other clients came there at the same time to complain about your slow speed. About the speed you lied to deliver while making the contract but which you do not, in truth, deliver.

I have had your gentlemen visit my house to check on connection and my computer only to find out that there is nothing wrong with my computer or with my connection. Therefore send no more men to check something that works.

I now ask your suggestions of how to resolve this matter. I look forward to receiving your reply at your very best speed, whatever that might be at any given moment.

Thanks and regards

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
a dissatisfied client

P.S. I tried to register as your client at your web site, but could not. While registering your web site froze totally over.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

And, on using th address TTT 3BB prints on it's bills, I got this reply:

Mail Delivery System to me
show details 23:06 (1 hour ago)
The following message to <chanjira.ma@jasmie.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up jasmie.com (MX): NXDomain'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;chanjira.ma@jasmie.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up jasmie.com (MX): NXDomain' (delivery attempts: 0)
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
buksida

Post by buksida »

You really expected to get a reply via an email written in English to a Thai ISP? :shock:

Where did you get the contact address? Looks like their standard one is just a forwarder. Try chanjira.ma@jasmine.com - Triple T also own Jasmine so there maybe a typo in the domain name.

So far my 3BB service has been pretty good - this week it has started playing up though so it could well be the Ministry of Censorship shaking things up again and installing more filters.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
rikkitikki
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rikkitikki »

Hi, based on your speed test, in theory you should have no problem video conferencing at .4mbit. You should experience a 1/2 second lag based on your latency so when you say something it will be broadcast on the other side a 1/2 second later.

I have also found Skype to be one of the most efficient conferencing systems but google video chat works well too under low bandwidth. Certainly check you settings to see what quality of video you are sending receiving there may be a way to dial it down. There is also a network settings detector which I believe should make these settings for you automatically.
They throw their clubs backwards, and that's wrong. You should always throw a club ahead of you so that you don't have to walk any extra distance to get it. ~Tommy Bolt, about the tempers of modern players
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

buksida wrote:You really expected to get a reply via an email written in English to a Thai ISP? :shock:

Where did you get the contact address? Looks like their standard one is just a forwarder. Try chanjira.ma@jasmine.com - Triple T also own Jasmine so there maybe a typo in the domain name.

So far my 3BB service has been pretty good - this week it has started playing up though so it could well be the Ministry of Censorship shaking things up again and installing more filters.
Actually no, I do not expect anyone to answer me. But what else can I do?

Their contact address is both on their website and on the monthly bill. I have already written to various and sundry - including chanjira.ma@jasmine.com - at Jasmine. I do not expect anyone to answer me. Their service number 1530 is equally useless by leaving an english-speaking caller on the line for great lengths of time to listen to Thai bubblegum music.

Buksi, what would try to do to remedy the situation?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Farang wrote: Buksi, what would try to do to remedy the situation?
Take their advice and change provider.

TT&T/Maxnet/3BB are notorious for over-subscribing their packages which is why a service often starts off well then gradually deteriorates over time. The "after-school surge" is also a well known problem that they do nothing to alleviate.

The trouble is that other providers are not much better as they all get their bandwidth from CAT. 3G maybe an option, speeds are pretty good though I'm not sure about reliability, SJ posted something on it here: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... 1&start=27
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

its 3BB supposedly "improving" infrastructure according to the two idiot pole monkeys I earoled the other day for messing the line to my house up.

I read in the paper that the reds had caused a shed load of damage to 3BBs infrastructure in Bangkok... in a country where the default setting is bare faced lies who knows????

I use Speedtest a lot to monitor whats happening to my connection. I did one run at the weekend and got similar results to the OP. Run it 10 minutes later and its flying along at just under 4MB. 10 minutes after that the DSI and Net lights go off on the router. 30 mins later its on again and slow as hell. Run it again 20 minutes later and its flying again. And so on and so on all frickin weekend.

The ICT have gone nanners and are blocking all sorts of odd sites now - some proxies are blocked, and for some reason they have started blocking some atheist sites I visit (NB Ive checked and theres no Thai related content so why the frigging block??)

[ Edited by Admin: no unnecessary inflammatory comments please ]

The answer..... mate this is Thailand. Your ISP doesnt know the meaning of the S word, nor does it care. Most customers are Thai, dont bother kicking up a fuss when nowt gets fixed, and dont know any better. Their staff are rude, ignorant and indifferent, as you and any other visitor to pig head and his shower of useless lying bastards at the HH office can attest.

Thailand is highly protectionist, and downright refuses to let any foreign providers in.... they know that they foreign telecoms providers and ISPs would wipe the floor with the Thai competition.

You havent even got any legal recourse for single or class action breach of contract, mis-selling/trades descriptions etc because... this is Thaiand. So forget sueing the firm.... you will be in a coffin before the case gets adjudicated.

In other words you are f**cked, as am I.

We grin and bear it or move on. :banghead:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

The letter from farang could have been written by myself !

until last Thursday my premier package was fine. 24/7, good speed (close to rated), no complaints. However, since last Thursday it has been hopeless. 2 or 3 hours okish (though slower than normal), then a freeze that can last upto an hour, then etc etc.

Complained via 1530 (good response times) most days. Today, i had the most interesting piece of news from them in that the girl said she had been told a 'card' was replaced this afternoon. Since then the service has been pretty good. Looking at my router the SNR db and the attenuation db are a lot better than in the last few days, so hopefully this card replacement has solved the problem.
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote: So far my 3BB service has been pretty good
I spoke too soon...
shite.jpg
shite.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 889 times

I see what you guys mean now :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :banghead:
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Farang wrote:
buksida wrote:You really expected to get a reply via an email written in English to a Thai ISP? :shock:

Actually no, I do not expect anyone to answer me. But what else can I do?

Their contact address is both on their website and on the monthly bill. I have already written to various and sundry - including chanjira.ma@jasmine.com - at Jasmine. I do not expect anyone to answer me. Their service number 1530 is equally useless by leaving an english-speaking caller on the line for great lengths of time to listen to Thai bubblegum music.

Buksi, what would try to do to remedy the situation?
I would suggest you have your letter translated into proper Thai and resubmit it, preferably to an executive in the organization, and with cc:s to the Mayor of Hua Hin, The Minister of Communications, selected Thai and English language newspapers, your home country's ambassador plus other dignitaries and multipliers. And do list all these at the bottom of your letter.
Yah, I know..... but why not???
What you have done so far is only a beginning, and your English language letter has been thrown into the big black hole...
Go get'em, boy!
A friend is only one click away
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

After a week or so of good speed (3B rang me to tell me that they had repaired a fibre option cable outside Pranburi), it is running like a dog this morning.

Sites outside thailand virtually unobtainable, and even some thai sites require a lot of refreshes - incl this one. router restarted more than once :(

Anyone else affected (3B max premier 4MB) ?