Crime fighting

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Crime fighting

Post by Lung Per »

I wish to be able to protect myself and my family from criminal intruders, burglars, thieves and other scum. I have heard that under Thai law one is free to shoot burglars in self defense. Therefore I wish to own a gun.
Question 1: Do I need a license to own a gun and if so, where do I go for the license.
Question 2: Where can I by a gun and ammo?
Please advise.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

You can't own a gun. :roll:
Last edited by BaaBaa. on Fri May 22, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BaaBaa,

Methinks too much happy juice celebrating 54 :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Big Boy wrote:BaaBaa,

Methinks too much happy juice celebrating 54 :D

:mrgreen: Callers a smart arse! :clap:

I'm only 28 :cuss: , not drunk, just amusing myself! :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by BaaBaa. on Fri May 22, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You look much older :D

No, seriously, I think we all know you well enough to know what you're doing :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

You can't own a gun LP, you'd be better off looking at Alarms, stunguns, Mace, Bats etc.

There is a thread somewhere but I can't find it.

:cheers:
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

I just found this in a quick search.
---------------------------------------------------------
In summary, a foreigner in Thailand is unable to carry a firearm, without express permission, which is very rarely granted. For a Thai citizen, they must show themselves to be good members of the community, show cause for issuance of the licence, and I seem to recall show or pay a specific sum {see below} for a firearm licence to be provided. As in other countries the regulations specify class of weapon, including shot-guns, small bore rifles, hand guns etc..

From a report submitted by the Thai authorities to the UN, in 2005:-

Any person who desires to possess small arms (pistols) must obtain permission from the authorities concerned. In Bangkok, the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police is
responsible for granting permit licenses of gun possession. An inter-agency, committee, comprising agencies such as the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Ministry of
Interior, the Ministry of Defence, the Office of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, will be set up to verify the qualification of each applicant. Then, the persons
who have authority to grant permit license are the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and provincial governors. Permit licenses can be cancelled any time when the licensee is proven to have committed a crime or to have used guns inappropriately. The person whose license was cancelled will never be granted a permit license again.

The Ministry of Interior released the ministerial order on 29 May 2003 to suspend the permit license granting for all types of rifle temporarily due to the increasing number of
crime cases caused by small arms and according to the government policy to suppress firearms, illegal arms, and organised crime. Such authorisation must be given by the
Minister of Defence.

For a civilian who wishes to obtain a possessing license, he/she has to be over 35 years old and possess a saving account more than 1 million Baht at least 6 months. In case an
applicant for a permit license owns a business or is a company manager, the registered capital must be at least 10 million Baht. In addition, this act states that any government officer who desires to carry government issued guns and ammunitions out of the office in a non-emergency case has to ask for permission from the head of the agency, and must have the letter of permission at hand.

The Ministry of Interior has proposed new Amnesty Act to exempt penalties to any person possessing illegal arms in order to help reduce the number of illegal arms possession in the country. At present, this Act has not yet been endorsed but is in the final review process.{2005, don't recall that it happened} However, Thailand has enacted the Amnesty Acts six times in the past, namely, in 1948, 1958, 1975, 1987, 1992 and 2000.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Farangs can not own fire arms what you need is one of Super Joe's super duper intruder alarms and security systems, or you could get a large dog. :thumb:

Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Crime fighting

Post by Arcadian »

This is an unsolicited testimonial. I bought an alarm system from HH Alarms, aka Super Joe, it was installed on time, without any mess and to eveyones satisfaction. I don`t think shooting people is the answer.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

its not a question of owning a gun, its a question of can you use one? If you cant it is a liability that will possibly get you killed, and most people should never even pick one up.

There are enough lethal implements to hand without adding a firearm to the equation.

Protecting the inside of a house and your person is best done with a can of mace (from the market) and a short wooden implement like a som tam stick/mortar that costs 20bht from a hardware shop....its the same as an old British bobbies truncheon - great in confined close quarters.

If you are into martial arts Id suggest a bokken about the house....you can get them from most martial arts shops.

Someone breaks in...turn off all the lights and wait for them to come to you....spray the sod in the face with mace and a few good whacks on the BODY with the som tam stick.... close your eyes/hit the lights...call the police.

That and buy a good house alarm...there are reccs here...you can self trigger those...and that will send the sods running 99% of the time.

A gun should be the last thing on your list. Its an expensive toy that will get you killed.

Alarms, lighting and common sense cost less.

Sandmans Home Defence Top Tip of the week... care of the Met Police Tottenham home security officer.....

A Burglar is in your house....you turn off the lights and sit on the floor behind the bedroom door. Burglar moves through house....comes to bedroom...the door opens slowly and an arm and shoulder pop round it......he wont be looking at floor level though....hes looking at the bed to see if you are there.

Having braced your back against the wall you now kick with both feet hard as you can against the door....which slams into the burglar .... breaking arms, shoulder etc..... now kick him in the face a few times for a laugh....hard...stamp on that broken arm.

lock bedroom door....call police.

any mates he has with him will hear all hell break loose and run like rabbits.

meanwhile you are now still on the other side of a now locked bedroom door, safe.

"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

If you fancy having a go at an intruder, i would recommend a large Mag Light firstly blind them with the torch and then turn it around and twat them around the head with it.
:starwars: :starwars: :sfight: :sfight:
Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Is that a martial arts technique...? :shock: :D
This is the way
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

guns

Post by Lung Per »

Thanks y'all. I do know how to handle fire arms, question was how to get one. My personal experience is that your chances of survival are much better with a fire arm than with a stick or maze. Shoot the bastards, ask questions later. They have no business breaking into my house, stealing my money, raping my daughter or wife, etc.
miked
Professional
Professional

Post by miked »

Lung Per wrote
Thanks y'all. I do know how to handle fire arms, question was how to get one. My personal experience is that your chances of survival are much better with a fire arm than with a stick or maze. Shoot the bastards, ask questions later. They have no business breaking into my house, stealing my money, raping my daughter or wife, etc.

i'm with you on this one. i also have had experience with fire arms. o.k. it'e not legal for you to own one, but come on this is Thailand. shoot the bastards and sought it out later. at least you will still be around to sought it out.
shoudn't be difficult to obtain, as i said this is Thailand. happy hunting.
miked[/b]
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm with Lung Per and Miked on this one too. If I could, I'd have a machine gun nest at the top of the stairs leading to my bedroom so that when the alarm let me know there was an intruder downstairs I could be ready! :D :D :D

By the way, guns are also a lot of sporting fun at either of the two Hua Hin ranges and IMO not much more dangerous in trained hands than the darts that are thrown about in bars by some drunken sods (speaking from the experience of having a dart thrown into me up to the hilt!). :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?