New International School opening in Hua Hin July 2009

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

I think it emphasizes the "British Curriculum" part as it is a well known fact around the world that the British Education System is, by FAR ,more superior than anywhere else.
I suppose thats true compared to the standard Thai curriculum, but compared to the "old" Brit (O and A Levels) system the new one is just a joke.

Under the old system if you came out of school with an A or two you were a smart kid....three or more and you were really smart. Now it seems to be the norm that kids get a slew of A's and B's...and dont tell me they are getting smarter, or that teaching standards have suddenly skyrocketed.

Hopefully that "Brit System" will mean the kids are encouraged to ask questions and discuss ideas rather than just learning by rote like a classroom full of robots.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
Chas
Banned
Banned

Post by Chas »

"the National Curriculum of England and Wales" .. . .is this a franchised deal, a government initiative, a textbook mill, British culture for export, just the way all schools are run in England or what? Please explain what this is for those of us who have not dealt with British schools.
My question remains on the board.

Sandman, for fear of taking this forum completely off track, I decided to ignore the blatant jingoism of the previous post and let the resident Brits have a say on the quality of the current state educational system there.

(By the way, I know the old "A" and "O" levels very well. I agree. . .they were serious and difficult exams to be sure and very carefully administered.) To be honest, I have never had the impression that schools in England were well regarded. ( The exception being "public schools" perhaps?) I saw something of the schools in Netherlands and Denmark on a recent trip ( guest of a teacher in one country) and they seem to be quite good. I won't comment on the Thai "system".
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

As far as I know there is no such thing as a "British Curriculum" England and Wales might follow the same Curriculum but in Scotland it is different.

Married to a Scot I am constantly being told that the education in Scotland is SO much better than in England so perhaps the new school should be following the Scottish curriculum
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

HAllo There CHas

I have just now googled the Term National Curriculum of Wales and England. is the way that all public Schools should be be run.
Here's now a klick and paste suff I got frpm the Parents Choice Website.

Guidelines for the National Curriculum are laid down in the Education Reform Act of 1988. It requires state schools in England and Wales to provide pupils with a curriculum that
is balanced and broadly based
promotes their spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development
prepares them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life
includes, in addition to the National Curriculum, religious education and, for secondary pupils, sex education
The National Curriculum is for all children aged 5-16 and is divided into Key Stages.

These give levels and attainment targets against which pupils are assessed. Each Key Stage sets out which subjects are to be studied. Teachers have some flexibility in what they can cover but certain important requirements, like reading a play by Shakespeare at Key Stage 4, are given.
The Key Stages cover four age groups. During each Key Stage pupils sit the National Assessment Tests to monitor their progress.

Stage 1. Schoolyears 1 and 2 Age: 5 to 7
Stage 2. Schoolyears 3, 4 and 5 Ages: 7 to 11
Stage 3. Schoolyears 7, 8 and 9 Ages: 11 yp 14
Stage 4. Schoolyears 9 and 10 Ages: 14 to 16.

The rest is about what subjects must be taken in those four stages. I hope this shed some light into the far superior Natioanl Curriculum of England and and Wales. and not the British Curriculum

http://www.talkeasy.co.uk/parent/inform/ks.html

Chas you are absolutely right If the New school is doing a thing together with the owner of Stamford by renting their premise. its certain the owner of Stamford will will throw some wrenches into the wheel of this New Internatioanl school of Hua Hin venture.
This has to be a peliminaray school Name of this , there has to be something like. ________ Hua Hin INternational School!!!

Your's The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

I think it emphasizes the "British Curriculum" part as it is a well known fact around the world that the British Education System is, by FAR, more superior than anywhere else.
The British education 'system' (don't know about curriculum) went down the pan a long long time ago, there's now a severe shortage of quality teachers, kids control the classrooms, a teacher is attacked EVERY day.
You can't blame the teachers, thet get paid peanuts and get attacked regularly either by pupil or if they're not up to it the parent takes care of it. Touch the kids and they're up on a charge.
The government plans to introduce airport type metal detectors to 100's of London schools to stop the kids from stabbing the teachers.
What's the future for it if new teachers aren't coming through.

SJ
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Just a correction to a few posts above.

Public Schools are PRIVATE schools and nothing to do with the State Schools which are of course government run.

The British public school system achieves exceptional results and always has.
Shake n bake
Novice
Novice

Post by Shake n bake »

One simple question here. Who is behind the set-up of and running of the the school. As a long term parent living in Hua Hin and knowing what goes on I would like to know who are the investors and power brokers here. A international school is well over due yes but not if it ends up being run by those who have interests in other areas.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The British education 'system' (don't know about curriculum) went down the pan a long long time ago, there's now a severe shortage of quality teachers, kids control the classrooms, a teacher is attacked EVERY day.
You can't blame the teachers, thet get paid peanuts and get attacked regularly either by pupil or if they're not up to it the parent takes care of it. Touch the kids and they're up on a charge.
The government plans to introduce airport type metal detectors to 100's of London schools to stop the kids from stabbing the teachers.
What's the future for it if new teachers aren't coming through.
SJ, Sounds exactly like the current American public (government) school system!
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Sad HHF but true.

I can't see why its so difficult to pay teachers (and nurses) decent wages, theres enough government money sloshing around being wasted on nonsense.

But I can't see how they are going to get discipline/security back, these days kids take drugs at school, carry weapons and even the girls attack the teachers.
The worst thing about it all is that we missed out on all that fun :D

SJ
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Having read this thread, I think it shouldn't even have been posted yet because little, if any, information is available. Due to the concern/interest of parents/potential customers there is of course going to be a large genuine ammount of inquiry about said topic, due to the fact that a school of such nature is needed/desired urgently.

From an educational perspective, many schools/colleges/universities fall into some 'glaring' traps when they open/try to change/introduce new programs(EP courses are they most obvious) etc, a sample of which are :

-How are you going to get qualified/of the right nature/criminal free past/no bazaar skeletons in the closet type of teachers. This is a massive concern from parents(especially westerners) and a massive problem for educational institutions in the country, for the simple reason that they are in short supply and the average salary in Bangkok can be very good.

-If you can find them that 'fit the bill', then you need to understand that to keep them and have them 'put their heart into it', you need to give them a good salary/contitions/some holidays. It's no good taking the usual Thai approach and 'not giving a toss about them' because then you'll end up with a bunch of 'Muppets'. Hua Hin is not the cheapest place to live. Many places have a high turn-over of teachers because they employ the wrong ones or because they don't understand the better ones and treat them like slaves/locals.

-Who will run the 'English Department', a Thai that can't speak much English that is nowhere to be found? Happens all the time in many places.
Really you need a westerner, who has an MA plus a DELTA, and they are not cheap as you will probably have to steal him/her from Bangkok/another country. This individual should be involved in the hiring of further teachers as then it would be professional and give off the right vibe/impression/weed out the 'blaggers', proving that it's a real international school, which is what you need. No half-baked potatoes is a good idea here.

The pevious one often reminds me of a fictional senario of going to learn Thai in the UK and then finding the course is full of westerners teaching Thai, with a couple of Thais knocking around to make it look good. :shock:
An 'English Program' at an international school only has native speakers involved in teaching English/EP(maths, geography, science etc is also in English). The Thai stuff is seperate.

This is a general slant and only my opinion.

Some may have other things to add here but I'm trying not to make this too long. Could get a lot out of this.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I mostly agree with what spitfire has written but not on the point of native English teachers. While teaching English at all levels and some other subjects at higher levels this might be the case, it shouldn´t be so at every level. I am doing a two week substitute teaching job at the International School of Helsinki (IB program http://www.ish.edu.hel.fi/index.htm) it has teachers, mainly Finns from non-native speaking countires as well. This is particularly the case with music, fine arts and Finnish languge (naturally) but also some classroom techers are Finns. I´ve always found it strange that a school would hire a native speaker without any degree (or even experience) but not a non-native degree holder.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

That's fair enough BG, what you mentioned, on the 'level' issue. :cheers:

To be honest, that post was 50% for the OP and 50% for the parents in HH/surrounding area.

For the OP, we all sincerely hope that you sort it out properly and deliver a class act, as it's needed. Just remember that we know what we should be getting. Please don't disappoint everyone if you do open. If you get it wrong then you'll get pounced on, reputation wise.

For the parents/readers of my post, what I highlighted in the post is exactly the subjects/areas you should be aiming any inquisitive questions at. Ask about these areas and make your judgements on the answers you get to them, don't accept ambiguity in the response. This is an important topic.

All the best everyone :thumb:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
borodave
Novice
Novice

International School

Post by borodave »

Has anyone any more details of this school - I contatced the email but have not had a response.
(buffalo) Bill
Banned
Banned

Post by (buffalo) Bill »

whois www.hua-hin-international-school.com for more info.

I spoke to one of the guys involved in this new International school project in person (Oliver), I was given no new information except talks had broken down with the resort they were working with. The Resort was NOT Palm Hills and the location was not Stamford.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Bill, I know you said you were given no new info, but did he say whether they are actively looking for an alternative venue or whether the project is dead ?

Cheers,

SJ