Do you let your children drink Sodas?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Do you let your children drink Sodas?

Post by MrPlum »

I have a pretty strict policy of not allowing the youngster to drink Sodas. Diet or otherwise. Biscuits and sweets, too, are kept under control.... as much as is possible, bearing in mind the neighbours do their best to undermine my 'cruelty'.

The reasons are obvious... to stop the children from getting addicted and fat. And to keep their minds as sharp and bodies as calm as possible, for school.

How many see sweets and biscuits as 'treats'? What do other parents do?
Last edited by MrPlum on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

When I tie my right shoe-lace my left thumb knocks against my right fore-finger.
How do others deal with this ?

SJ
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Phew Mr Plumb

At first I thought you were referring to bars

I gave up alcohol over 2 weeks ago and now drink soda or water

I know in BK this sometimes means ejection as there is no profit to make

Waiting for it to strike in HH now
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Super Joe wrote:When I tie my right shoe-lace my left thumb knocks against my right fore-finger.
How do others deal with this ?

SJ
SJ

You are using the wrong finger. Try this...

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`•¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.•´
.............\..............(
..............\.............\.....
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

richard wrote:Phew Mr Plumb

At first I thought you were referring to bars

I gave up alcohol over 2 weeks ago and now drink soda or water

I know in BK this sometimes means ejection as there is no profit to make

Waiting for it to strike in HH now
Thanks for that. I've edited the title to be clearer.

Why not create an 'I'm on the wagon' topic. Quite interested in why you gave up.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Very good Mr P you got me there, you wise old owl :D

SJ
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I had no idea that orangeade was addictive ? or that soft drinks affected the brain function .I am sure they will find the right combination of alcohol and recreational drugs by the time they are 15 or so .If they are looking a bit porky before then confiscate the DS and the playstation and restrict mobile phone use .Who knows? they might get interested in sport .I love kids but I couldn't eat a whole one . :wink:

Crazy 88
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

crazy88 wrote:I had no idea that orangeade was addictive ? or that soft drinks affected the brain function .I am sure they will find the right combination of alcohol and recreational drugs by the time they are 15 or so .If they are looking a bit porky before then confiscate the DS and the playstation and restrict mobile phone use .Who knows? they might get interested in sport .I love kids but I couldn't eat a whole one . :wink:

Crazy 88
Crazy answer :wink:

Do a search for 'soft drinks addictive' and 'soft drinks fattening'.

I asked the question since I have watched a Thai child turn from being healthy slim and energetic into a fat lazy coke guzzler who is, as you say, now only interested in computer games... in the space of twelve months. What a shame.

The kind of carbohydrates a child takes in can turn them into balls of restless energy since the sugar goes direct to the brain. Sugar supposedly gives the body an hour's rush followed by 2 hours of depression. As soon as that depression starts, what do most people do? Reach for another coke or whatever sugary drink or food they like. They take in more and more sugar which gets converted into fat.

I have read a book from a whistle-blower that the Food Giants add appetite stimulants to many foods. Whether he's right or wrong I know that if someone gives me a packet of biscuits I generally scoff the lot in one sitting. Now they don't get through my front door.

Studies have shown that children's IQs and behaviour improve when soft drinks and sugary snacks are removed from their diet.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Mr Plum

The situation you describe is becoming more and more common amongst Thai children .They are addicted to 7/11 right up to the highest levels of society for a start .I have worked with 15 year olds that cannot tie their own shoelaces and I am supposed to take them rockclimbing/snorkelling/kayaking/diving etc . Outdoor activities require 4-5 litres per day of water to maintain hydration at least .Salt and sugar is better provided via fruit juices than sodas .I really do not think that a certain amount of sweets/snacks/sodas is too bad as long as it is part of a balanced lifestyle and diet .In my experience Thai kids will jump at a good somtum as quickly as they will a triple cheese four meat seafood cocktail stuffed crust pizza with extra lard .Up to the parents to educate them before they end up like the US in the 50's and the UK now .Everyone picks on the fat kid and the one that smells of pi** after all .

Crazy 88
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

As an alternative, and when they're cheap, freshly squeezed orange juice is lovely. We bought a nifty little machine from the wet market (150 baht), just cut the oranges in half, pop them in and push the handle down. It has the added attraction of using up a bit of energy making the juice. :)

With Coca Cola and Pepsi sponsoring almost anything that appeals to young kids it's not surprising that they go for these brands. Get 'em young and they'll be hooked. I've seen a reasonably behaved kid turn into an uncontrollable monster after a few swigs of Pepsi. It's certainly a bit no, no for hyperactive kids.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I have always said - everything in moderation, and i moderate everything! :D
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

We are taking an alternative stance with our kid, he's 14 months old, we have decided to bypass the child stage where they crave coke and the like, and have fast forwarded to treating him like a young adult, let him decide what beverages best suit him.

Over protect kids and they go off the rails. The progress so far .........

Image .Image
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

SJ,
Not sure about the progress - from getting naked with the Sang Som, to wearing a red jump suit and Malibu...is he the reincarnation of Elvis? :thumb:
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

At least he's grown out of his Spurs baby-grow now, things are looking up for him.
Some say thats what drove him to the drink!!

SJ
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Drinking soda

Post by Arcadian »

when our daughter was about 6, 22 years ago, she was hyperactive, we read that orange squash contained a chemical, tartrazine, which affected the brain. We cut out the squash and normality was resumed.