2022 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2022 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:25 pm Also, don't want to derail the thread, but I think it should be discussed. Everything that moves has a resonant frequency, and I agree with you that in this case it could be aerodynamiclly induced.
No problems here Nereus, whilst it's an F1 Thread this is a major issue and should be discussed - personally I welcome the discussion and viewpoints. Whilst I am an engineer (greasemonkey), I am certainly no expert in this particular field (or any other for that matter :oops: ) and it's great to see other viewpoints whether geared to car design/aerodynamics/resonance/science or other! :thumb:

The devastating effects of resonance are clearly shown in the videos you posted and I always remember being shown a video in my school days of the destruction of the "Tacoma Narrows Suspension Bridge"...... Always stuck in my mind that one!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not an engineer so wouldn’t know where to start, but it’s mystifying that the experts at Mercedes have not been able to fathom out how to overcome the issue - much to LH’s considerable frustration!!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm I’m not an engineer so wouldn’t know where to start, but it’s mystifying that the experts at Mercedes have not been able to fathom out how to overcome the issue - much to LH’s considerable frustration!!
Oh, there's certainly no doubt Lewis is somewhat pi$$ed off and it shows - he's hellish competetive, but also fair in my book.

Lot's of rumours around this seasons changes and financial constraints - some say Mercedes are holding out on the spending to slightly later in a hugely extended season, but wishful thinking perhaps.

Ferrari and Red BS way ahead so far this season, and the former way ahead in today's GP!

Leclerc way, way ahead but Mercedes pulling off a very unexpected 3rd and 4th finish was quite something! :thumb:

Cracking from Norris in 5th and how in the hell did Albon in a Williams starting at the back of the grid finish in 10th :bow: :bow:

Sorry, but nice to see Crashappen and Red BS crying and Lewis and Mercedes above them in the table! :neener: We all know it's temporary, but what the hell!! :D
Aus-GP-Race.jpg
(186.28 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:04 pm I’m not an engineer so wouldn’t know where to start, but it’s mystifying that the experts at Mercedes have not been able to fathom out how to overcome the issue - much to LH’s considerable frustration!!
What is porpoising in F1?
Porpoising is when a Formula 1 car bounces up and down – a phenomenon caused by an increase, then a sudden decrease, of downforce. It is traditionally associated with ground effect cars, with teams working hard to get on top of the issue with the new breed of Formula 1 machines.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rA8Hu.html

If we accept that the problem is aerodynamic, and it MAY NOT be, then it is a very involved phenomenon. I also think that calling it "porpoising" is a misnomer, as no self respecting porpoise would be seen dead getting along in that fashion!

There are many different types of drag. The following are those encountered in aviation, and MOST of them are exactly the same in cars, or any body moving through the air:

Drag - Types and Effects (Google each one if you are interested)

• Drag.
• Induced Drag.
• Parasite Drag.
• Interference Drag.
• Form Drag.
• Friction Drag.
• Wave Drag.
• Surface Coatings and Drag Reduction.

We do not know what the FIA rules are concerning both construction materials, and the form allowed, under the rules. I cannot find the reference just now, but I believe that this is far from an unknown problem.

As it appears that not all the F1 cars are affected to the same degree, then it has to asked; what is the difference with those most affected?

Rather than clog up this thread, the following has some good explanations:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ctrp- ... explained/

This one not so much:

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_ ... _for_a_car
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Parahandy still sits atop the league by the skin of his teeth - congrats to JJBones on the Yellow Cap this week! :thumb:

Not too sure Dai_L's tactics of waiting until qualification is helping him though!!
HHF-F1-R3.jpg
HHF-F1-R3.jpg (56.7 KiB) Viewed 296 times
A 2 week break now until Imola - can anyone upset the Scuderia at "home"?....

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Interesting read Nereus - thanks :thumb:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I've forgotten. Do we have to make our predictions before tomorrow's sprint race? Or how does it go?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:47 am I've forgotten. Do we have to make our predictions before tomorrow's sprint race? Or how does it go?
Apologies - should have made that clear...... :oops:

Yes, the results of the Sprint Race determine the Race Grid - so if you want the "Early Bird 2pts" you'll need to make your predictions before then.

Some details from today's sessions @ https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/61192154

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thanks, Pharvey. In no way it's your responsibility to remind us. We should be aware of these things, it's part of the game. Appreciate your info.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Results of the Qualifying Sessions today (22.04).

NOTE: This is Qualifying for the Sprint Race (23.04 - 16:00 Local) - the results of the Sprint will determine Race Grid.
Qual-21.04.jpg
(187.88 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Sprint Results/Race Grid for Imola (plus additional points scored): -
GRID.jpg
(169.43 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, they certainly need to do something and quickly - personally hope to see a big improvement next weekend!

"Mercedes are aiming to have upgrades at the next race in Miami that they hope will begin to solve the car problems that have afflicted them this year.

Trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin said the new parts would "hopefully indicate whether we are moving in the right direction".

Mercedes, constructors' champions for the past eight years, have started the season nearly a second off the pace.

Shovlin said the team were "not expecting to solve this overnight".

Seven-time champion Lewis Hamilton has had a difficult start to the season. The 37-year-old has managed only one podium finish in the four races so far and lies seventh in the championship.

Team-mate George Russell has fared slightly better, and is fourth in the championship, having also scored one podium.

Hamilton has already written off his hopes of winning a record eighth drivers' title this year.

Mercedes' biggest problem is a phenomenon known as "porpoising", where the under-car airflow becomes disrupted and leads to a high-frequency bouncing on the straights.

This is forcing the team to run the car at a higher ride-height than it was designed for, which reduces the overall level of downforce and performance but makes the bouncing just about manageable.

One of the new parts expected at the inaugural race at Miami Gardens from 6-8 May is a lower-drag rear wing.

The hope is that by reducing the aerodynamic load on the car at the rear, the porpoising will not be triggered as easily.

However, other parts will also be needed to fully solve the problem, which a number of engineers outside Mercedes believe is likely caused by flexibility in the floor.

A major difficulty for Mercedes is that porpoising does not show up in either computational fluid dynamics or a wind tunnel, the two tools F1 teams use to simulate aerodynamic behaviour and design and test upgrades.

Shovlin said: "A lot of the work that is going on in [the factory in] Brackley has been to understand the phenomenon and whether we can actually control it, whether we can engineer it out of the car.

"Is there an aerodynamic solution that we can apply to the car that will make this problem go away?

"Now, being realistic we think this will be something we approach in steps rather than one big moment where the whole thing vanishes.

"But we are seeing encouraging signs. As I said, we are hoping to bring parts to the car soon, maybe even Miami where we can hopefully see progress on this issue.""

Taken from bbc.co.uk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Next up the inaugural Miami GP. Note, all times UK - silly o'clock in HH. Will be shown on pay-per-view SKY F1 in the UK, but I shall be using https://live1.formula1stream.cc/
Miami-2022.jpg
Miami-2022.jpg (27.32 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Miami-Track.jpg
(64.61 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
Obviously no history of the track, but no doubt will be between Red BS and the "Scuderia" yet again - hopes are Mercs can improve..... Results for LH can't really get much worse!!

Good luck to all in the Prediction League :thumb:

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Audi And Porsche to Enter Formula 1

"German car companies Audi and Porsche have decided to enter Formula 1, the boss of their parent group Volkswagen said on Monday.

VW chief executive Herbert Diess said discussions about F1 at board level had created divisions within the group.

He said Audi and Porsche bosses, whose brands are VW's biggest income generators, argued entering F1 would bring in more money than not doing so.

"You just run out of arguments [against it]," Diess said.

Speaking at an event in Wolfsburg, where VW is based, Diess added that Porsche's preparations were more concrete than Audi's, without specifying details.

Porsche is said by F1 insiders to be preparing an alliance with Red Bull.

Porsche would partner with the team's new engine division, which has been set up to design and build the drinks brand's own power-unit for the new engine regulations due in F1 in 2026, and the team would run as Red Bull-Porsche.

Audi will come in as a team and has been linked with buying out an existing entrant.

It is said to have had talks with McLaren, Sauber, Aston Martin and Williams."

Full Article @ https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/61300470