Electric charge getting high from Government?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
buksida

Re: Electric charge getting high from Government?

Post by buksida »

Reopening this old thread to see if anyone else had an astronomical electric bill this month? Ours was the highest ever since I've lived here at just under 4,000 baht. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Highflyer

Post by Highflyer »

Check your units used on bill, roughly 4.45 Bhat per unit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know, its normally 3.9 - the bastards hike it up in the hot season when they know people are going to be using more. :guns:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Got our bill today. The unit price is the same as last month at about 3.9. Our bill increased because we used more aircon this last month.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:18 pm I know, its normally 3.9 - the bastards hike it up in the hot season when they know people are going to be using more. :guns:
Mine was also up about 1,000 Baht to what it is normally, but I have had to run an air con in the living area some afternoons.

I doubt that they are stuffing around with the unit price, but some of the trouble is sure to be the antiquated metering equipment that they use. There are several what they call "amp" connections. The most common for a house is probably the one that is called "15 amp supply". It has very little to do with the actual amps being drawn, but is to do with the calibration of the meter. The meter is calibrated to be accurate at 15 amps passing through it, and could be reading ANYTHING above or below that amount. As it also depends on the voltage to calculate the number of units, only Buddha himself knows what it may be recording at ANY other amperage flow.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:56 pm The most common for a house is probably the one that is called "15 amp supply".
That's the one we have - I wanted the 30 but the PEA refused to supply one.

We've had the a/c on a little more at night but it shouldn't have doubled the bill.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

As far as I know the following unit cost are still those being used. The Ft(fuel tax)at the moment is shown as a credit on my account. Note that the per unit rate increases as the number of units used increases. The fixed charge(38.22 Baht)has not changed for years. Don't forget the VAT added to the total cost.

https://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=utility_costs
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just done the calculations and, as expected, the unit charge has gone up probably because we'd gone into the next bracket in terms of usage. I blame the kids for that!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's actually quite simple. The first batch (I think 10 units) starts at 2. something and the next batch is a little more until you get to paying around 4.2 per unit at the high end. I don't have one to hand but the bill is quite detailed. There is also a standing charge which never seems to change.

AFAIK it doesn't differ from province to province.
Saying that they hike the price in hot weather is nonsense. Check your meter reading from one bill to the next which will give you the units used then just apply the table. If you think the meter is recording more units than you're using then the first check is to switch everything off and check that the meter is stopped (the wheel should be stationary)

People don't realise that as you use more and more, then you jump into the next tarrif then each unit used above that is charged in that band.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm It's actually quite simple. The first batch (I think 10 units) starts at 2. something and the next batch is a little more until you get to paying around 4.2 per unit at the high end. I don't have one to hand but the bill is quite detailed. There is also a standing charge which never seems to change.

AFAIK it doesn't differ from province to province.
Saying that they hike the price in hot weather is nonsense. Check your meter reading from one bill to the next which will give you the units used then just apply the table. If you think the meter is recording more units than you're using then the first check is to switch everything off and check that the meter is stopped (the wheel should be stationary)

People don't realise that as you use more and more, then you jump into the next tarrif then each unit used above that is charged in that band.
Ol'timers disease is a bitch! :rasta:

What does my previous post say?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry Nereus, I didn't click on your link which states it better than I did.
Ol'timer's - I got it in bucketloads!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm People don't realise that as you use more and more, then you jump into the next tarrif then each unit used above that is charged in that band.
buksida wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:03 pm the unit charge has gone up probably because we'd gone into the next bracket in terms of usage.
You could also try reading what has been posted before spouting off.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A big (20%) increase on our bill this month, but I guess it correlates with extra a/c usage.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

From the huge 30% jump in our bill it works out that a 12,000 BTU a/c unit running at night only costs over 1,000 baht a month.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ok so it's have a go at Hhtel.
Points taken and will practice getting my brain in gear. I was having a bad day.