6 Nations Rugby 2008

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

rugby

Post by redzonerocker »

jaime, i'm still shell shocked :( over our performance at murrayfield yesterday :oops:
embarrassing doesn't quite cover it :oops: :oops:
no disrespect to the scots, i might add. :D

hats off to the welsh though, they have ground out the results & deservedly so, & apart from the first half at twickenham, they have performed excellently throughout the tournament.
credit where its due :cheers:

full steam ahead against the french & a possible (most unexpected!) welsh grand slam :thumb:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Re: rugby

Post by Jaime »

redzonerocker wrote:full steam ahead against the french & a possible (most unexpected!) welsh grand slam :thumb:
Too true - totally unexpected at the start of the tournament but I'll take it!

:cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Come on WALES sheepshag the FROGS

My money was on Wales from the outset
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I would never consider myself anywhere near an expert rugby pundit but from the few games i have watched, the standard seems to be a bit poor this year?
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

rugby

Post by redzonerocker »

Jockey wrote:I would never consider myself anywhere near an expert rugby pundit but from the few games i have watched, the standard seems to be a bit poor this year?
very poor jockey :thumb:
but. . .sometimes, it's not how you play the game, it's if you win or lose.
the current table is a fair reflection of the tournament so far, with wales deservedly top of the pile :cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Wales used to be good at fast flowing rugby, NZ the best but the game has changed. Forwards play a bigger part now as they are bigger, more agile and faster

The objective is win not give an entertaining flowing game for the public
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

sport

Post by redzonerocker »

richard wrote:
The objective is win not give an entertaining flowing game for the public
i think you can apply that theory to any sport, winning with style & flair is what all individuals or teams aspire to.
sometimes though, just winning is paramount :cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

AND Business and politics too!!!

Driven by managerial achievement, greed and for players(lackies), money
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Jockey wrote:I would never consider myself anywhere near an expert rugby pundit but from the few games i have watched, the standard seems to be a bit poor this year?
I know you aren't English Jockey but it's funny how that one always comes up when anyone other than England or France dominate the tournament. Fact is that Wales have outscored everyone to date, played some very good rugby with a more balanced side and game plan than that of 2005 and scored plenty of tries. They have a points difference of +65. Says it all really.

Wales, Scotland and Ireland were all awful throughout most of the 90's when it was effectively a 2 horse race between England and France but nobody ever questionned the tournament quality then, when in fact it was pretty woeful. The truth is that someone needs to be good and someone else needs to be bad for a winner to emerge - that's just the way it is.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Sack EOS
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

eos should move to LOS MIGHT FIND SOME RUGBY PLAYERS IN BINTABAHT TO WATCH SUCH WORN OUT RUGBY
MUNGAN MUNGAN SAME OLD SH ONE T :guns:
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is probably appropriate at this juncture:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/spo ... 080310778/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Jaime wrote:My prediction as follows:

1. Wales - Champions but probably not a slam. Unless France change their style of play, I expect Wales to beat France at home and that's all we need for the championship (famous last words...)

2. England

3. Ireland

4. France

5. Italy

6. Scotland

I think Ireland could beat England and the positions of Ireland and England be swapped about if that happened. Ireland would win the Triple Crown in that case as I can't see Scotland beating them. I see Italy beating Scotland and maybe causing a big shock against France if they tuck it up the jumper like England did. Italy's replacement fly-half looked pretty tidy last weekend when he moved there from full back late in the second half.

I love rugby I do. :cheers:
Well, I wasn't that far out! *SMUG*

http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/home.php

As it developed, Wales were by far the best team of the tournament, setting a new record for fewest tries conceded. Against Ireland and France, their two toughest tests, they were clearly more powerful, faster, stronger and simply more determined. The Wales - France game today was on another level to the other two games - reminiscent of recent England/Ireland - France encounters.

This Grand Slam was so much more impressive than that of 2005 but 2 Slams in 4 seasons shows that with a fully fit squad that 2005 was not a one off. This is a very, very good squad of players. The re-united centre partnership of Henson and Shanklin looks class - head and shoulders above the rest of the 6 Nations sides; two interchangeable sets of genuine international quality half backs and world class players like Shane and todays man-of-the-match Martyn Williams (who in my opinion is the best 7 ever to play for Wales and currently the best 7 in the world bar none - a true legend)

Looks like Ireland have shot their bolt and England have a lot of rebuilding to do. France will definitely get stronger - they have shown that they have tremendous strength in depth this season.

Even though they got the spoon, Italy have played very well - apart from their demolition by Wales (who else :wink: ) they competed better than ever before.

As for Scotland, I feel that Hadden, along with Ireland's Eddie O'Sullivan are under most pressure as coaches. Maybe Ashton will keep his job after todays comprehensive defeat of Ireland?

I think Gatland's job is safe... for now!

Anyway ....

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Sorry, got this today and I couldn't resist posting (apologies for the blasphemy):

Our Father, who art in Heaven
Gatland be thy name
Thy Grand Slam come
Tries will be done
by Shanks, Byrne and Williams
Give us this day our daily Bread of Heaven
And forgive Nugget offside
As we ruck those who trepass against us
Lead us not into bad discipline
But deliver us from France
For Wales is the Kingdom
The dragon and the daffodil
For ever and ever,
Amen

bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

maybe its a prayer for buddha?????
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!