Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Price comparison FOOD - Hua Hin/U.K

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:01 am Good post DB. In any country if you eat local produce then obviously cheaper than imported.

'When in Rome .........."

Really makes this thread quite meaningless.
It would be meaningless, I agree if...

...we, as expats, all ate rice and seafood everyday. We don't. Some folk here don't like rice or eat seafood. I think this thread is entirely meaningful.

Edit: If you live on seafood and rice each day, ignore this thread. If you don't - you get a lot more bang for your buck in the UK.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't live on purely on Thai food. However, I expect to pay more for food from my own country. That would be the same wherever you live. Not just us Brits living in another country but anyone who lives outside of their country.

Which is why I've said that comparing the price of western food here with that in the west is meaningless.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is also why I used Indian food in my example.

At the end of the day, my income since retirement has halved. If I'd stayed in the UK, yes we would survive, but I now have a much better lifestyle here than I had in the UK. I have even taken on a few (not many) extended family commitments. If Thailand is so expensive, what am I doing right? I'm obviously squeezing a quart from a pint pot.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Not just us Brits living in another country but anyone who lives outside of their country.
Finns being one exception, suspect other Nordic countries are the same. You can't eat under 10€ in a restaurant in Finland. You can get plenty of Finnish dishes for less than 400 Baht in Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Ahem, BG. 400 baht is more than 10 Euro!!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:56 pm
Not just us Brits living in another country but anyone who lives outside of their country.
Finns being one exception, suspect other Nordic countries are the same. You can't eat under 10€ in a restaurant in Finland. You can get plenty of Finnish dishes for less than 400 Baht in Thailand.
To continue with the bonuses of Finns living here than in Finland, they just recently passed a motion to say that sex with a 10 year old is NO LONGER legal in Finland.

:shock: (I'm actually NOT joking. Google that shit!)

I used to respect the Finns...

:offtopic:

Edit: Got respect for you though Bamboo Grove. Never seen you do anything untoward. So where were we...

... ah yes! Beans, noodles and bread.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Really makes this thread quite meaningless.

Best statement so far.

Arguing over the price of a tin of beans, really?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

400 baht is more than 10 Euro!!
Yes but it's still cheaper than in Finland and I did say, you can't eat under ten in Finland but you can in Thailand. Never mind, I hope you got the idea.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:45 pm Really makes this thread quite meaningless.

Best statement so far.

Arguing over the price of a tin of beans, really?
We're not 'arguing over a tin of beans', though are we.

We're having a civilised discussion about how monthly groceries will set you back twice as much as in the UK. Good information for people planning retirement here and doing their monthly cost maths. Yes, it may only be an extra hundred quid a month on food but...

Hundred quid is a hundred quid.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But we are still comparing imported foods here with domestic produce back in the UK.

So meaningless!!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 am But we are still comparing imported foods here with domestic produce back in the UK.

So meaningless!!
May I ask you HHTel. Do you eat a lot of seafood? Do you enjoy rice? Do you cook Thai food at home? Maybe you do, I don't know.

Or do you enjoy a lot of the imported produce we're talking about.

This is a forum for expats and I'd expect most expats eat imported food very often so a price comparison is both meaningful and useful for those who aren't aware of the difference in cost Uk/Hua Hin.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 am May I ask you HHTel. Do you eat a lot of seafood? Do you enjoy rice? Do you cook Thai food at home? Maybe you do, I don't know.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Impudent brat! Having revealed your previous IDs, I wonder how many people know...? :naughty:
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lost wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 am
HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:06 am But we are still comparing imported foods here with domestic produce back in the UK.

So meaningless!!
May I ask you HHTel. Do you eat a lot of seafood? Do you enjoy rice? Do you cook Thai food at home? Maybe you do, I don't know.

This is a forum for expats and I'd expect most expats eat imported food very often so a price comparison is both meaningful and useful for those who aren't aware of the difference in cost Uk/Hua Hin.

I give up. You obviously don't get it. :run:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 am
Lost wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 am

So meaningless!!

I give up. You obviously don't get it. :run:
Argument obviously won. Cheers

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 am
Lost wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 am May I ask you HHTel. Do you eat a lot of seafood? Do you enjoy rice? Do you cook Thai food at home? Maybe you do, I don't know.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Impudent brat! Having revealed your previous IDs, I wonder how many people know...? :naughty:
:lach:

Only just saw this. Just you and now pharvey. Literally so lonely I wanted to say hi to old forum comrades. Sue me. :laugh:

I stand by my word though. Groceries are cheaper in Uk than Thailand. :wink: