Permanent Residency

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

cheers mate, certainly cleared a few things up :shock:

so buksida has never been a monk eh???? bad boy. :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
buksida

Post by buksida »

Orange doesn't suit me!

The world of confusion deepens, that's four different sets of rules I've heard now! SJ any idea what the last category on that list means ... foreign correspondents? Asian journalists only?

Its all very well quoting websites but we all know they make it up as they go along on the day anyway!

My sources in Bangkok tell me that applications can only be made in December and January, can only be done at Suan Plu, and I don't need company papers or 'social security', just the 3 extensions, work permit and a tax record.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

There is a concise guide pinned in that other Thai forum by a single guy living in rented accommodation in Bangkok and working for a Thai company. Worth a read for those still interested in the topic.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

buksida wrote:The world of confusion deepens, that's four different sets of rules I've heard now!
The only official criteria/rules I've heard of are the Immigration Department's that I linked to, not sure of the other three unless it's lawyer's advice etc, some of which I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw. Sorry mate, can't help with the journalist part.

SJ
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

buksida wrote: My sources in Bangkok tell me that applications can only be made in December and January, can only be done at Suan Plu, and I don't need company papers or 'social security', just the 3 extensions, work permit and a tax record.
The applications open within a very narrow window towards the end of December. They stay open for about a week. I missed this window twice. And yes, it can only be done at Suan Plu.
You do need the 3 (yearly!) extensions, with the tax records to boot. As I said, things may have changed since I applied, but not by much.
วินเชนท์
tarakandi
Banned
Banned

Post by tarakandi »

If you are all long term resident I would recommend that you take a good look at PR, at least the start process and believe me it is not as difficult as it might seem at first.

There are much more advantages than disadvantages.

I travel extensively with my work so I need to get a multi re-entry permit which is renewable every year, THB 6,500 and it is an apply one day and pick up the next deal.

You end up with two separate books. A blue one which is your permanent resident book, this is stamped similar to your passport in and out. In addition you will get an Alien book (red colour) which is the equivalent of the Thai ID Card.

When you arrive they just stamp you in without a date and likewise when you leave you are just stamped out.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Permanent Residency

Post by hhfarang »

Some possible insight on why PR has been so difficult to obtain over the past 5 years...
Phuket Opinion: Policy on Thai residency should not be secret

PHUKET: It's time for the Ministry of Interior (MoI) to set up a special task force to begin fast-tracking the processing of the huge backlog of permanent residency (PR) applications it is now sitting on in silence.

Such a move would have multiple benefits for all parties involved, including, especially, foreign investors (potential and extant) and Thailand’s all-important tourism industry.

For reasons that have apprently never been divulged by the MoI, the stacks of stale PR applications, submitted in good faith and at great expense by law-abiding, long resident "visitors" to Thailand, continue to gather dust at the ministry.

The farce has aged to the extent that any foreigner who technically qualifies for permanent residency status under the Immigration Act would certainly be put off from applying at all, given that the current plethora of applications dates back to at least 2006.

The breakdown in processing these applications reportedly stems from a xenophobic decision put in place almost a decade ago by 'social order' activiist Purachai Piemsomboon, Interior Minister (and foe of Phuket's night entertainment industry) under former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Phuket Gazette readers will know that Police Captain Purachai agreed last week to lead the Pracha Santi Party into the upcoming general elections, and that pollsters see him as a credible contender for the nation's premiership.

Thailand’s current requirements for foreigners to obtain permanent residency are among the most restrictive in the world, at least for male applicants seeking that status on the basis of marriage to a Thai and support of a Thai family.

Current regulations make it far easier for the foreign spouse of a Thai man to obtain residency, a fact which is inherently sexist and completely at odds with the spirit of Thailand's current constitution.

At its heart, qualification for residency status requires male applicants to prove beyond any doubt that their presence in the Kingdom is advantageous to the country. Applicants are also required to prove that they have been in the country for a minimum of three years on consecutively-issued, one-year permits-to-stay, and have paid all of their taxes.

Another stringent requirement put in place during Pol Capt Purachai’s tenure requires male applicants to pass a Thai-language test. Few other countries, with the notable exception of the United Kingdom, impose similar requirements on visa and/or residency applicants – with good reason.

Even the United States puts the primacy of the family unit over language concerns.

Permanent residency applicants, many of them from Phuket, represent the best and brightest of Thailand’s expatriate community. Simply ignoring their applications, submitted in good faith over the past five years, is unacceptable.

If the Government wants to do away with this avenue for immigration, it should amend the Immigration Act to reflect this fact; announce the amendment widely; and stop wasting everybody’s time.

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-03-27
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good article, and reason why I haven't bothered applying officially.
hhfarang wrote:Police Captain Purachai agreed last week to lead the Pracha Santi Party into the upcoming general elections, and that pollsters see him as a credible contender for the nation's premiership.
If this fascist xenophobic dinosaur gets even a sniff of power we'll be witness to a wave of clampdowns on foreigners the likes of which have never been seen before.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Leaving aside our previous discussions about the intricacies of PR application process, regarding stuff like whether it favours big shot business types over Joe Average punters with Thai families etc, I have to say this pretty shoddy treatment to leave these applicant's hanging rather supports yours, Lomu's and others' general views about it, and somewhat undermines my... 'sure they wanna give us PR, they wouldn't issue 100 per country quota each year if they didn't' ...argument a little :D :oops:

Knowing as we do what's involved in getting accepted at this stage, surely it wouldn't have hurt too much to complete the process with that batch, then put this unofficial stop on things :?

SJ
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Yeah, me too, won't even bother applying as it seems to be futile with such racists around and in positions of authority. This is also why I had a rant on that other thread about the minister and his attitudes.

I reckon I qualify on all points for PR, depends how hard the language test is, might have to brush up and make a bit of a conserted effort for a while to be sure on that one.

However, what would be the point. :|
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

I have to admit that after travelling around the world to dozens of different countries I have never been met with such racism as I have here.

I remember when I was about to meet the parents of the wife some decades back. She said to me.. "Please try to be real nice because he doesn't like farangs". She said it like it was normal. It's like in England now, saying to the missus "Please make an effort because the old man doesn't like you yellow people!"

Never tried to get the PR. Sometimes think a visa aint even worth bothering with anymore either. We are the least of their worries and in twenty years I have never had anything checked. Unless you are running a business or need to travel often there really doesn't seem to be much point. Even if you were caught it's only a bit of cash in the pocket anyways - less than what you would have had to pay for the visa.
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

This whole issue of permanent residency seems to me to be largely down to status from what little I've seen so far.
It was only late last year when I came across the farang cemetary in Chiang Mai, and started to think about it more. There are certainly a few farang up there who are 'permanent' due to historical reasons - descendants of farang missionaries and forestry workers mainly I would guess.
There are also a surprising number of farang who have been awarded Thai titles.
Last December I found a magazine in Bookazine HH 'Expat Society' 2010/11 issue, which is quite an eye-opener. It lists the top 300 expats - the Khunyings and Thanpuyings - all of whom I would suspect have almost automatic PR.
Their status has come about mainly as a result of being either a great help to Thailand - ie doctors, surgeons etc, or by contributing to Thai society (the Hi end version) by founding things and doing charitable works.
I'm sure a lot of this recognition of expats goes back to the days of Rama 4, when foreign input was needed. Whether Thailand still views foreigners in quite the same way is a moot point. Probably not.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I guess I'm fortunate because I have absolutely no desire to get PR, even if it was offered to me on a plate. I qualified for it in the UK and never wanted it, and if I didn't want UK PR, I can't imagine why I would ever want it here. I'll just plod along with visas, and if that turns sour, I'll up sticks and away. Thailand is not the only nice country in the world to live in, and in fact, it's starting to look less appealing as the years go by. I mean, just look at the plank running the interior ministry.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

As long as we keep getting guys in office that live by the saying of 'Farang Kee Nok' (Farangs are mere bird droppings in our country) we will be okay and they will continue to pretty much ignore us. As soon as a real xenophobic guy comes into office - THAT'S when we will have big problems
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I started the process in January, and the guy who is handling it for me reckons I should get it by the end of the year, so let’s wait and see.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon