TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by Vital Spark »

Two great series that I'm hooked on a the moment are:

The Driver: A British three part mini-series about a taxi driver who decides to do a bit of driving for criminals.
and
Ordinary Lies: a five part series set in a car dealership in Manchester.

Both of these are not exactly feel-good programmes, but are superbly produced and addictive.

Enjoy,
VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Have seen the first one and certainly agree there - not seen the latter though, will take a look..

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

[quote="Vital Spark"]Two great series that I'm hooked on a the moment are:

The Driver: A British three part mini-series about a taxi driver who decides to do a bit of driving for criminals.
and

What site can I download these from please ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pagey wrote:
Vital Spark wrote:Two great series that I'm hooked on a the moment are:

and

What site can I download these from please ?
I would imagine any of the torrent sites like Kickass - I watched them when they were shown on UK TV (BBC I recall), they were both very watchable, The Driver being the best (imo).
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pagey, if you go to https://torrentz.eu/, it gives you a choice of download sites.
This is the way
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thanks guys, that's done the trick. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I really enjoyed this....can't wait for the nest series 8)

Narcos
Drama series
9.1/10·IMDb
77%·Metacritic
9.2/10·TV.com
Netflix takes on the infamous Medellín drug cartel in "Narcos," which follows the rise and fall of Colombian kingpin Pablo Escobar and the Drug Enforcement Agency agents hunting him. The story is told largely from the points of view of Escobar, played by Brazilian actor Wagner Moura, and U.S. DEA Agent Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook), on opposite sides of what would become an all-out war. The gritty drama begins with the early days of the drug battle, when the biggest offenders were "hippies in flip-flops" caught with up to a kilo of marijuana, continuing to the violent, bloody battles between members of the cartel peddling tons of kilos of cocaine and drug agents from Colombia, Mexico, and the U.S. -- a struggle estimated to have cost at least 4,000 lives over two decades. Pedro Pascal ("Game of Thrones") co-stars as Mexican DEA Agent Javier Peña.
First episode date: August 28, 2015
Directors: José Padilha
Program creator: Chris Brancato
Watch with free trial
Netflix
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The Bastard Executioner

"Life changes forever for 14th-century warrior Wilkin Brattle when a messenger implores him to set aside his sword and lead the life of a journeyman executioner. In a time of rebellion and political upheaval, he must walk the line between protecting his identity and serving a mysterious destiny, guided by mystical healer..."

Oh dear.

Sounds right up my street - historical fiction with a touch of the paranormal/supernatural. I started to watch episodes 1 & 2 combined into 90 minutes, and I gave it as much benefit of the doubt as I could, but had to give up after 20 minutes. It wasn't so much the storyline as the truly appalling acting, not just by one or two of the cast but across the board.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote:The Bastard Executioner

"Life changes forever for 14th-century warrior Wilkin Brattle when a messenger implores him to set aside his sword and lead the life of a journeyman executioner. In a time of rebellion and political upheaval, he must walk the line between protecting his identity and serving a mysterious destiny, guided by mystical healer..."

Oh dear.

Sounds right up my street - historical fiction with a touch of the paranormal/supernatural. I started to watch episodes 1 & 2 combined into 90 minutes, and I gave it as much benefit of the doubt as I could, but had to give up after 20 minutes. It wasn't so much the storyline as the truly appalling acting, not just by one or two of the cast but across the board.
That's a real pity - I'd seen it advertised, and like yourself I was looking forward to it. Anywho, have had it on record for when I get home.... so will give it a go anyway (not expecting a lot after your review - you are just there to depress me :D ).
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Doctor Foster

Described as a 'watercooler drama'. Not the way to attract viewers, IMO!

Wikipedia:
Doctor Foster is a British drama television series that had its first episode broadcast on BBC One on 9 September 2015. The five-part series, written by Mike Bartlett, is about Doctor Gemma Foster suspecting her husband has been having an affair and finding out the truth.

The opening episode received generally positive reviews from critics, with Lucy Mangan from The Guardian calling it a "gripping portrait of a marriage slowly being poisoned", although Mangan expressed fears of the show descending into "melodrama in the not too distant future ".[8] In a review for The Telegraph, Michael Hogan gave the drama four stars out of five, describing it as "an edgy nail-biter", that was "sparkily written by Olivier Award-winner Mike Bartlett", despite a soundtrack that was "overbearing".
Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but the main reason I won't be watching is that it isn't set in Gloucester.
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:The Bastard Executioner

Oh dear.

That's a real pity - I'd seen it advertised, and like yourself I was looking forward to it. Anywho, have had it on record for when I get home.... so will give it a go anyway (not expecting a lot after your review - you are just there to depress me :D ).
I, too, was looking forward to it. The writer who developed this is the same guy as Sons of Anarchy so I expected a lot...
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

dtaai-maai wrote:Doctor Foster

Described as a 'watercooler drama'. Not the way to attract viewers, IMO!
Thanks for that DM. :cheers:

Watched the first episode tonight, and I'm hooked already trying to figure out what her husband's really up to - I do hope it doesn't disappoint.

BTW the limerick was quoted in the programme by a young kid, but he/she got the last line wrong (should be 'And never went there again').

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That first 2 hour episode of "The Bastard Executioner" sure had it's share of action and blood/gore, very graphic scenes of pregnant women being stabbed in the belly, knives and swords through the heads of men and women, children getting their throats cut, a man being skinned alive, a very graphic scene of a beheading, etc. I have to say I quite enjoyed it! :twisted:

Don't let the kiddies watch!
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote:Two great series that I'm hooked on a the moment are:

and

Both of these are not exactly feel-good programmes, but are superbly produced and addictive.

Enjoy,
VS :wink:
I know why you like these series, VS. Because you were once a car salesperson in Norrrrfolk and Parahandy was once a taxi driver in the East End who drove getaway cars for the Kray twins! :laugh:

EDIT Watched the first 15 minutes of Ordinary Lies and couldn't take any more...
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

David Threlfall is one of those steady British actors who begins to hit the headlines in middle age. He won a BAFTA for his portrayal of Tommy Cooper in last year's biopic (BBC?), which I'm about to download. He stars/features in all of the following series.

Midwinter of the Spirit

I watched the first of a new 3-part British (ITV) drama last night. The Exorcist minus the green puke and spinning heads - so far anyway! Beautiful setting in Hereford, some good actors working well, and a spooky atmosphere pretty much the whole time.

What Remains

2013 4-part BBC drama series starring David Threlfall as a retiring detective trying to solve one last murder...
Well worth a look.

Code of a Killer

2-part ITV drama. The true story of how Alec Jeffreys develops genetic fingerprinting as a crime-fighting tool.
I was quite surprised by how little I knew of the background to this. Not really a gripping whodunnit, but interesting because of the true story aspect and the comparatively recent history.
This is the way