Electricity and Water Charges

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Big Boy

Re: Electricity and Water Charges

Post by Big Boy »

Our electricity bill has just arrived (3 days late) - 3,094฿. Certainly not the same as February's bill, but still very cheap considering we've used a lot more A/C during each day than we've ever used before. I'm quite happy with that.

My recorded discount was 95฿, but in reality the savings are a lot more than that.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

We have one air con unit that admittedly goes most of the time these days. I've mentioned that we seem to have a business meter, so that's that as far as I'm concerned regarding any discount.

However, for the electricity bill to jump from 1,200 (Feb) to almost 4,000 last month is difficult to swallow. It's paid though.

And the water bill? Well, it's not a lot compared to electricity but it's never over 100 THB a month - that's over 15 years living here. This month it was almost 200 THB.

Sod the utility companies. Peace, love and happiness to you all from them because they really care.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Last month PEA told us to wait until this month before paying the bill. This month we paid last months bill and it was reduced by 946 BHT. We run an air conditioner, when we're home, nearly 24/7 and average between 2200-3000 BHT monthly.

Our water bill has remained constant, for 6 yrs., except when there was a leak, generally around 60 BHT per month.

Only 2 adults in the home, no pool.
buksida

Post by buksida »

The 'discount' is a scam - they're discounting the units over the threshold, not the price. So effectively they're getting pretty much the same revenue, this is why most are only seeing a few baht off the bill.

Our bills are usually around 1,800 year-round except April and May when they jump to 3k due to using more a/c and units at a higher price.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am The 'discount' is a scam - they're discounting the units over the threshold, not the price. So effectively they're getting pretty much the same revenue, this is why most are only seeing a few baht off the bill.

Our bills are usually around 1,800 year-round except April and May when they jump to 3k due to using more a/c and units at a higher price.
Whatever the method and their reasoning, I'll take the 900 bht. discount.
Highflyer

Post by Highflyer »

Yes to my surprise got our discount on our bill, based on stated Feb total units , against units for 25th May bill.
Question is the discount set to continue for next months bill? Cheers
buksida

Post by buksida »

More mass confusion regarding electric bills. I'm now convinced they just pull figures out of thin air and make them up as they go along.

Without the discount, this month's bill would have been the highest this year at just under 3k even though we've made efforts to cut back and not use the a/c so much since the weather has cooled. The unit count is well below April's bill, yet the price is similar.

However, my ranting stops there as they actually discounted the final price by 50% this month. There is absolutely no logic or reasoning as to how they calculate these bills which differ wildly month to month, seemingly regardless of how much electricity is actually consumed.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

15 years ago when we moved in, the electric account was created by the builder in the name of the company that owned the house. We never changed it.....

And, the new rebates only apply to individuals, not companies so we are stuck with the 3% discount.

:-(
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

fft100 wrote:15 years ago when we moved in, the electric account was created by the builder in the name of the company that owned the house. We never changed it.....

And, the new rebates only apply to individuals, not companies so we are stuck with the 3% discount.

:-(
I wonder if that's the case for us too! The house we own was registered in a company before when we bought it. Now it is in my wife's name, but I guess electric meter still same as when it was in a company.

YNWA

YNWA
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

Can I ask a quick question here (actually two)? I'm stuck in the UK at the moment, with little obvious prospect of a return anytime soon. We have the utility bills on direct debit - which usually works very well. But...PEA hasn't billed for July and August, although I can see online that they have read the meter. Is this the 'new normal' or is something going awry? Has anyone else had the same thing ie meter read but no direct debit taken?

And...the water bills have gone up a lot. It's usually 50 baht a month, with guys doing the watering in the garden and topping up the pool. The last few months have been much higher - up to 100 baht a month. Has the water price gone up, or is someone tapping into one of my garden taps?

Many thanks
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
buksida

Post by buksida »

Both our electric and water bills are higher than usual for this time of year so I guess it is part of the 'new normal'.

I'm also guessing they're clawing their discount money back - nothing is free in this life!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unusually on this thread, I have to agree with you. My electricity is up about 10% and water 20%.

Last month, I put the electricity increase down to excessive use after the discounted months, but usage is back to normal this month.

Water is very cheap anyway, but I've had our odd job man check the system for leaks, which he didn't find.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Some years ago I experienced significant increases in our water bill - I’m sure it was approaching 500 Baht a month. Having checked for leaks we ended up changing the meter (at our own cost) and the bills plummeted and have remained fairly stable ever since
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, our neighbours had to do the same, when their monthly bills were coming in at 2300% higher than ours. Even now they are 500% higher than us, with similar usage (maybe we need to shower more :D )

Points 51; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

my water bill for July was 50 BHT and has never gone above 63. The landlady installed a new air conditioner and the bill for July dropped 800 BHT and we run AC 24/7. (Except when we're out)