The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by dtaai-maai »

England, on the other hand surged out of the blocks and raced into a huge lead by half time, scoring 5 tries in the process. They slowed down a bit after half time, allowing Italy to kick a penalty and adding only 3 more converted tries. A wonderful display of fluent, attacking rugby.

And then I woke up... :oops:
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:59 am England, on the other hand surged out of the blocks and raced into a huge lead by half time, scoring 5 tries in the process. They slowed down a bit after half time, allowing Italy to kick a penalty and adding only 3 more converted tries. A wonderful display of fluent, attacking rugby.

Italy's rugby surprised everybody. It's possible that Ireland will beat them by 30 points and put everything in perspective, but let's wait and see.

If England had opted for a lineout instead of a scrum at the end it was likely going to end up 34-17, but 'if and ands', etc....

England's first half defence threw the result completely out of shape. A largely inexperienced team but learning. Wales are currently in building mode too.

In the opening match of the tournament win is a win. Scotland know that, well done sweaties!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:55 am
PeteC wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:17 am Regardless the final score Pharvey, there should be nothing but pride in Wales tonight. :cheers: :cheers:
Well, perhaps a smidgeon of pain as well...
Well, there's a great deal of pride in the 2nd Half display and the fact that the team didn't just throw in the towel. However, the 1st half - well 45 odd minutes when Wales were down by 0 - 27 was abysmal. Kicking from hand was dreadful, inaccurate with zero chase, the lineout was simply not working - this not just inaccurate throw-ins, but wrong calls - poor tactics, inability to change them (on-field decisions) certainly highlighted a lack of experience at this level. The only positive in the 1st Half was the Welsh Back-row who won a number of vital turnovers. Ultimately though, Scotland were given far too much respected, they came in with a fully-loaded team and the game was lost in that opening half regardless of Wales' comeback. The jump from Club/Regional Rugby to International Rugby is a big one - perhaps too big for a couple of the players. That said, overall the "youngers" in the team should their metal and a fighting spirit! There's much to work on, but a lot to work with!! To fight back from 0-27 to 26-27 was incredible, especially when some were looking at a 50 or 60 point loss for Wales. Hats off to them!! :thumb: :bow:

And yes, a fair level of pain also for players, managers and supporters alike. Still though, a cracking advert for rugby - the Good, the Bad & the Ugly!! :D
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:55 am And the merest hint of embarrasment for a no. 8 with the worst moustache in Europe.
Well, it's there for a good reason to be fair (and there's at least some "Body" to it :neener: ) - It all started with "Mowvember", where growing facial hair in support of charities for Men's Mental Health, (Bowel) Cancer etc...... And seems to have just stayed there. I always thought your own Marcus "Wendyballer" Smith had the most embarrassing attempt at a 'tash, but this award has now got to go to Wales' Ioan Lloyd :roll:
404cameljockey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:55 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:59 am England, on the other hand surged out of the blocks and raced into a huge lead by half time, scoring 5 tries in the process. They slowed down a bit after half time, allowing Italy to kick a penalty and adding only 3 more converted tries. A wonderful display of fluent, attacking rugby.

Italy's rugby surprised everybody. It's possible that Ireland will beat them by 30 points and put everything in perspective, but let's wait and see.

If England had opted for a lineout instead of a scrum at the end it was likely going to end up 34-17, but 'if and ands', etc....

England's first half defence threw the result completely out of shape. A largely inexperienced team but learning. Wales are currently in building mode too.

In the opening match of the tournament win is a win. Scotland know that, well done sweaties!
I don't think Italy's performance was a great surprise to anyone quite frankly. They've played very well recently and have shown to have some very dangerous backs (Wales certainly know this - as do SA!!). England perhaps underestimated them, but to say England put out a "largely inexperienced team" is way off the mark. Yes, there were players missing, but those replacing them were hardly inexperienced let's be fair, just look at the Caps. Comparing this to a Welsh side full of new Caps (and not looking for excuses) is a tad off the mark IMO.

And yes, the "Sweaties" deserved the win ultimately, but by God they need to sort out their discipline moving forward.

Going back to the Llillywhites, they didn't have the best of games and some decisions could have hurt them - Italy are certainly no mugs as I've said before and the new coach seems to have pumped more life into the squad. Their weakness is the Front 5 IMHO and England failed to make the most of that - whether down to tactics or on field decisions. Other 6N Teams will certainly not underate the ability of Italy - especially the Backline and Back-Row.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:10 pm That said, overall the "youngers" in the team should their metal and a fighting spirit!
Welsh for 'showed their mettle'... :wink: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:29 pm
pharvey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:10 pm That said, overall the "youngers" in the team should their metal and a fighting spirit!
Welsh for 'showed their mettle'... :wink: :laugh:
Oh fceck off..... I have enough typo's - "Youngsters" might have been useful as well - I do blame my bloody keyboard, though I didn't question your spelling DM... :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Yet another sad day for Welsh Rugby and the Rugby World as Barry "The King" John dies aged 79.... :( One of the greatest players to grace the field passes away shortly after his teammate JPR Williams. R.I.P. Sir :bow:

"Wales rugby legend Barry John has died aged 79, his family have confirmed.

Nicknamed 'The King', John was considered one of the sport's all-time greats, winning three Five Nations titles, a Grand Slam and two Triple Crowns with Wales.

He played 25 times for his country and five times for the Lions, while he also represented Llanelli and Cardiff at club level.

He died in hospital on Sunday. A family statement read: "Barry John died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children. He was a loving Dadcu to his 11 grandchildren and much-loved brother."

John had made his Wales debut in the victory over Australia in December 1966, but he would have to wait a year before being partnered up with Sir Gareth Edwards - forming one of the greatest half-back combinations the game has ever seen.

From John's first piece of dry advice to Edwards when the scrum-half asked how he'd like the ball delivered to him - "You throw it, I'll catch it" - the partnership became a defining one in Welsh rugby's golden era.

John was central to Wales' 1971 Grand Slam - their first since 1952 and sealed with a first victory in Paris in 14 years. Later that year, he cemented his legacy against the 1971 All Blacks by playing a starring role in the historic 2-1 win"

More @ https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... 932cb26d5e
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:10 pm
Going back to the Llillywhites, they didn't have the best of games and some decisions could have hurt them - Italy are certainly no mugs as I've said before and the new coach seems to have pumped more life into the squad. Their weakness is the Front 5 IMHO and England failed to make the most of that - whether down to tactics or on field decisions. Other 6N Teams will certainly not underate the ability of Italy - especially the Backline and Back-Row.

Wales have 5 new caps, just like Italy. And Wales, England and Italy all have the same number of players with 5 caps or less. I'd estimate that the total number of caps in the Welsh squad is little different to the Scottish squad who've been performing very well recently. It seems to me the general discussion of the inexperience of the Welsh side is being a little overplayed. :)

No-one will underestimate Italy 'now'. Their defence has always been fine, but they seem far more lively than in recent years. I never expected much from England, first match of the tournament and away from home. I was pleasantly surprised in the second half. Italy's lineout was simply appalling though, making the job easier.

England are playing a new (to them) game system. Mistakes were always going to be there in defence, hopefully to be ironed out quickly.

Sorry that I missed the second half of the Wales game, tiredness got the better of me. Must have been fun!

:cheers: :thumb:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Bless Barry John. He'll be up there, at the bar, telling great stories.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:16 am Bless Barry John. He'll be up there, at the bar, telling great stories.
There was a joke years back where a wonderful aged Welsh miner who had lived a wonderful and full life passed away and was taken through the "Pearly Gates". He'd worked hard in the Mines of Wales, taken care of his family and friends and even strangers through thick and thin and was to be rewarded for his good deeds. Saint Peter (of course) met the old soul at the gates and took it upon himself to show him the wonders of heaven - all was peaceful, joyful and all the old man could have imagined that heaven could be. BUT then, they walked passed a beautiful, serene room with a great throne - and on that throne was a Welsh Rugby shirt with the number "10". "Barry...?" the old man whispered with a tremble... No, said Saint Peter - that's God's... He just wishes he was Barry!! :wink:

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:03 am that's God's... He just wishes he was Barry!! :wink:
:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:12 am Wales have 5 new caps, just like Italy. And Wales, England and Italy all have the same number of players with 5 caps or less. I'd estimate that the total number of caps in the Welsh squad is little different to the Scottish squad who've been performing very well recently. It seems to me the general discussion of the inexperience of the Welsh side is being a little overplayed. :)
Taken purely from the teams selected in the First Round (Apologies, France missing unfortunately, but...): -

England XV - 612 Caps, Bench - 271 Caps TOTAL 883 Caps
Ireland XV - 618 Caps, Bench - 415 Caps TOTAL 1033 Caps
Italy XV - 470 Caps, Bench - 89 Caps TOTAL 559 Caps
Scotland XV - 540 Caps, Bench - 96 Caps TOTAL 636 Caps
Wales XV - 413 Caps, Bench - 65 Caps TOTAL 478 Caps

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:27 am
England XV - 612 Caps, Bench - 271 Caps TOTAL 883 Caps
Ireland XV - 618 Caps, Bench - 415 Caps TOTAL 1033 Caps
Italy XV - 470 Caps, Bench - 89 Caps TOTAL 559 Caps
Scotland XV - 540 Caps, Bench - 96 Caps TOTAL 636 Caps
Wales XV - 413 Caps, Bench - 65 Caps TOTAL 478 Caps

Thanks, some support for the claim, then. :)

Always fun to pull a dragon by the tail though. :mrgreen:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:19 pm The Red Card was simply stupidity from (South African) Willems - I've seen Red Cards given for his first Yellow Card offense, but to get another Yellow shortly after coming back on the pitch for a near identical head high tackle..... :roll: There'll no doubt be some interesting conversations with him behind closed doors and I suspect a ban that will effectively end his 6 Nations.
Well, fortunate to get away with what will effectively be a 3 week ban, but I don't think we'll see him back in the Starting XV this 6N. He'll have certainly pi$$ed off the coaching team and unless his replacement (likely NZ born "Aussie" Meafou if back from injury) plays very poorly, I don't see a way back in for him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68223487

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, Wales have named their side a day early to face the Lillywhites this coming weekend - there's changes, enforced, fairly obvious and a surprise or two for me at least: -

Great to see North back in to shore up the mid-field defence which is a huge plus.
I honestly think Rowlands should have been brought straight into the XV and Beard dropped to the Bench, but Beard will relish the challenge (and we'll see Rowlands in the 2nd Half).
Dee starting (on the Bench last weekend) was a no-brainer, though Elias cannot be blamed entirely for the lineout debacle of the 1st Half (he'll be brought on in the 2nd).
Domachowski (before you ask - yes, born in Wales, brought up in Wales - Polish Grandfather), can well feel unfortunate that he's not starting. Did well against Scotland and played the FULL match which is very unusual these days for a Front Row player - will no doubt be coming on in the 2nd Half.
Backrow: - I don't think this would have been touched as they saved Wales complete failure and embarrassment quite frankly, but Botham is injured so Mann steps up and Basham comes in - all good!
Costello is injured and did get a fair bit of abuse for his 1st Half performance at Fly-Half, he didn't play well - BUT another that suffered from cr@p tactics and a failure for those to change "on field" IMHO and that sorry goes to the Coaching Team and THE CAPTAIN. The latter certainly played well, but needs to be given time and experience in his role as Captain.
Ioan Lloyd is selected at Fly-Half.... I certainly still have my reservations, but we don't have a huge choice :roll: :cry: He has been stuffed in some respects in being used as a "Utility Back", playing at Fullback, Wing, Fly-Half or..... for Bristol (and at times Scarlets/Wales (once)). Tony Clement had a similar issue to a certain extent for Swansea/Wales/B&I Lions in the 80's and early 90's - give the lad a chance, he's only 22, Wales are rebuilding but we still have some stars.... :thumb:

The Lillywhites are yet to name their team - I don't see many changes, other than (possibly) Genge coming back into the Frontrow after injury - hate to say it, but one hell of a player who Wales will have their hands full to deal with certainly in the loose. "Wendyballer" Smith would be there also, but I think injury will keep him out (toenails or varnish chips I believe :wink: ) - that said, despite "Runaway" Farrell missing, you also have a class act in George Ford. I honestly believe to be the latter of the 3 the most underrated, but an International Class Fly-Half... :bow:

As to the result? Wales don't have the best of records at "Lah-de-Dah" Twickers HQ, we have a young team (with now a few changes), but we have immense passion and we have HWYL!!

February 10th marks the Chinese New Year and "THE YEAR OF THE DRAGON".... Beware Lloegr! :neener: :butt:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Just to note, the Under 20's 6N Round 2 matches take place tonight (fixtures as per the senior sides). Wales taking on the Lillywhites at Bath's Recreation Ground. Wales managed a Bonus Point win against Scotland last week, but were pretty much dominated in the forwards (aside from Morgan Morse at Number 8 who's certainly one for the future) - it'll certainly be tough going tonight against a solid English pack....

England had a big win away to Italy last week, with Ireland edging France 31 v 37 in a high scoring game.

As for tomorrow's games, Scotland vs France just depends on what French side turn up.... Will they be the headless "Cockerels" that faced Ireland in R1, or will Scotland face the backlash? Scotland certainly need to sort out their discipline, but also go into the match missing a couple through injury. Dempsey though comes into the starting XV at Number 8 which is a big plus. That said, France got the better of Ireland in the tight last week, so Scotland will find things hard up front IMHO.

Well, heart over head, it's obvious what the result will be at "Twickers"..... :wink: :D

Italy will no doubt put up a fight against Ireland on Sunday, but the loss of Negri and Cannone in the Backrow is going to hurt them (especially Negri). On the plus side though s the return of Ange Capuozzo who missed the England game due to illness. Ireland have made several changes and rested a couple of players - I'd love to see it come back to bite them on the @rse, but it's a pretty formidable side!!

Anywho, those in the Prediction League, don't forget your picks!!