Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
buksida

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by buksida »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:30 am That's because you're that much closer to Nakhon Si Thammarat!

Christ it rains down there. Hua Hin only gets about 40% of their annual rainfall
I reckon our proximity to Chumphon keeps us in the wet stuff. Ranong also gets a helluva lot of rain, though we're closer to Hua Hin than 'Rainong'.

Anyhoo, we're bracing for another torrential week.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

Hey Buksi
you should have had your 3rd crop of this in by now....

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/environ ... stant-rice

Not that anyone gives a flick but we had 42 mm in " the storm " last night
numerous trees damaged including a few coconut trees
buksida

Post by buksida »

No rice where we are, its rubber and palm oil territory!

With all of Thailand's weather patterns changing, they're going to need flood resistant everything soon!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:No rice where we are, its rubber and palm oil territory!

With all of Thailand's weather patterns changing, they're going to need flood resistant everything soon!
As per usual Thai Met report a lot less... 17mm.

Their stats are always 'low'

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I looked at the weather forecast yesterday evening and it showed virtually non-stop rain for at least 24 hours and so far, they seem to have got it right as it doesn’t look like it’s stopped!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Extreme Weather Warnings have been issued within the last hour for all over the east, Bangkok area, and southern east coast. I don't have the article yet but will post when seen.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This is a translation from my weather app.

lower north Northeast, Central, including Bangkok and its vicinity, the East and the South have heavy to very heavy rain in some places, asking people in those areas to be careful of the danger of heavy rain. To be very heavy and the rain that accumulates which may cause flash floods, flash floods and water overflowing especially the slope area foothills near waterways and lowland areas This is because An active low pressure cell covers the Gulf of Thailand. Upper and Eastern In addition, the monsoon trough lies across the upper southern part. Waves are 2-3 meters high in the lower Gulf of Thailand and more than 3 meters in thundershower areas. The waves are about 2 meters high and in areas with more than 2 meters in thunderstorms, the boatmen in the area are asked to navigate. with caution and small boats in the lower Gulf of Thailand should also refrain from leaving the shore during this period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

short and sweet, this morning
36 mm here in an hour
maybe a spit in HH
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

bigston wrote:short and sweet, this morning
36 mm here in an hour
maybe a spit in HH
Can you remind everyone where 'here' is? (I think you're Sam Roi Yot or Pak Nam Pran)

And yes Hua Hin got a spit...ThaiMet say 8mm!
(nb up to 07.00.... did we have rain in HH after that perhaps? I was in the land of nod! Image)

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We’re certainly getting more than our share of rain the past few days and at the moment it’s coming down fairly heavily!!
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 am We’re certainly getting more than our share of rain the past few days and at the moment it’s coming down fairly heavily!!
It sure seems like we are getting a LOT more rain than normal, but I wonder how true that is. Does anyone have quick access to the statistics of how this rainy season compares to average ?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Scout wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:49 am We’re certainly getting more than our share of rain the past few days and at the moment it’s coming down fairly heavily!!
It sure seems like we are getting a LOT more rain than normal, but I wonder how true that is. Does anyone have quick access to the statistics of how this rainy season compares to average ?
I will summarise at end of Nov as I did for October

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

According to ThaiMet....

the Daily breakdown figures for November totals up to 131.4 mm. This is against a November average of 103 mm (according to weather and climate.com)

That would suggest that we had 28% percent more rain than the HH average for November.

I'm sure there are a couple of people on here who would say that we had quite a bit more than that and that's probably because they got more!
Again it's so localized, the ThaiMet figures( for Soi 51/53) are always less than what is privately reported on this forum by members living not that far away.

If I recall correctly, and without looking it up, both September and October were 'wet' too. I certainly can't recall the golf courses being so soggy this time last year.

Incidentally, 42% of November's rain fell in one day(Mon 14th). But I suspect that's not that unusual

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'll try hard not to lose any sleep over it!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Well you don't get any so why would you?!