Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Nereus »

If it looks like rain, I'll take the necessary precaution. It can't get much simpler

And if it does'nt look like rain, just wash the car and the rain will quickly appear!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:03 am It was certainly the worst October rain I've known in Hua Hin in the 10 years we've lived here. We normally get a bad period of 2/3 days each year but the rest is the occasional shower. I think we had 3 prolonged periods this year.
I have always found that memories fade fast in these situations which is why referring to data is so useful.
My immediate reaction upon reading your post was that 2020 was quite a bit worse. And so I checked the numbers this morning.

And the statistics would back my gut feeling up. Please note that these are all official Thai Met stats so importanly I'm comparing apples with apples. The new Thai Met website has the daily rain data, its just that someone is not adjusting the YTD data(simple stuff, i actually called them this morning to point this out).

Yes, rainfall is localised but over the course of a month I think these things balance out(soi 51 weather station versus Soi 94) Other areas considerably farther away may differ

And Yes, pretty ironic coming from me to think this. Because on Tuesday the 11th of October I spent the entire day on the internet trying to get out of Hua Hin because I was so sick and tired of the rain (and what it was doing to the golf courses). Hence I started that other thread (where to travel to escape rain in Thailand?).

But in the end I decided to stay here and actually it turned out to be the right decision as for the next 10 days or so we hardly had any rain and only significant rain for 3 days after that for rest of month.

The bottom line is that the total amount of rainfall for October '22 was 323 mm. In 2020 we had 33% more than that (429 mm).

We also had 16 days in Oct '22 where we had zero rain, including 9 consecutive days from 12th onwards.
In 2020 there were 12 days of zero rain although there were quite a few days which had less than 1 mm to be fair.

In summary October 2020 was much worse

I will try to post the day by day comparitive stats from my spreadsheet
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you need a hobby! (or is this it?)
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:I think you need a hobby! (or is this it?)
Yeah, I'm a real hit at parties with the ladies!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

:lach: :lach:

Another good answer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel, a 2020 comparison would be useful if it shows hours per day it was raining. I don't really count showers of 2 hours or less. When I say prolonged periods, I'm referring to constant rain spanning more than 1 day
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well that rules out most days - even in October there were very few periods (if any) when it rained 24 hours non-stop!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Well that rules out most days - even in October there were very few periods (if any) when it rained 24 hours non-stop!!
Yes DB, or in the whole year!

I sort of understand what BB is saying though (but disagree re time period) eg if it rained for 10 mins everyday, then who cares?

But 2 hours is significant in almost everyone's book, it floods roads, causes delays and, we all have our personal agendas, but it seriously affects golf courses.

My golf course has recently been in the most terrible condition. Greenkeepers couldn't get on the course to maintain (they could be swinging the lead a bit there?)

So the amount of rain, and the duration, is important.

Also BB thought this year was the worst in 10 years. There were no days last month with 24 hours of rain but there was in Oct '20. As I recall sending such a message back home to UK ("it's not stopped raining for 24 hours")

Anyway, it's still saying no rain for next 10 days so hope that's all behind us now

Onwards...

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As a golfer, it must have been an absolute nightmare. I'm happy to sit on my porch, and stare out when there are just shorter showers.

Maybe not 24 hours of rain, but multiple 2 hour periods, which felt like most of the day.

Points 51; Position 21
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

It's quite cool tonight.

Trust me, I know..... I swam!

Brrrrrrrrr....

bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

Yes indeed it was colonel
i gave up at 11 pm watching it plummet down to 19.3 almost as fast as the AUD sank
sometime in the wee small hours it hit 18.4
the first of many nice crisp evenings i hope
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big downpour tonight around 21.00 on HHTel's manor of 112

I was there to witness this extraordinary phenomenon

It lasted fully 30 mins and it came again at about 11.30

Anyone in Hua Hin not get this downpour? Was it super localised?

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I drove back from the footie last night, and we hit very heavy showers several times on the way back from Ratchaburi. So I think the 'phenomenon' was fairly widespread. I was also woken by a very heavy shower about 5 this morning - didn't last long.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

And there was us thinking the wet season was over. First bike ride in months and I got soaked riding back yesterday. Apparently, it has been raining in BS solidly since Friday (which is nothing unusual really). Was nice to have a dry weekend in Cha-am though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

According to ThaiMet.....

A whopping(!) 4.2 mm fell in Hua Hin last night/this morning (up to 07.00), felt like more

Could be some more coming next weekend

The November monthly average of 103 mm has got to come sometime

For me if it rains 4 mm every night for 30 mins I couldnt care less. Just as long as its after I get back to my room! Image

I think the golf courses can cope with that

Sent from my M2007J20CG using TapatalkImage