Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Piss poor final game today. Was right up for the Liverpool Vs United. Awful for the neutral, but I'm sure United will be very happy. First points pool have dropped at home. Arsenal completely destroyed Brighton, I was hoping it was going to be one of those they just can't get the ball in the back of the net... not to be in the end. Should have been much more, completely dominant. And Villa took the three points, only after Brentford went down to ten men! :cry:

Not the results I was hoping for but, meh.

:cheers:
Somehow I suffered the whole first half(don't know how!)

No way I was suffering the second half

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I quite enjoyed the game. It's quite entertaining to watch your rivals play so badly. I haven't laughed that much for ages.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Didn't see any of the Liverpool vs Manure game, but surely a missed opportunity for Liverpool and points dropped? The BBC gave some stats (which I know can be BS for pretty much all sports), But......
STATS.jpg
STATS.jpg (36.78 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
How the hell could that game be goalless based on that??!! Crap from Liverpool or all Manure defenders on the "Goal Line"... ? :tsk: :duck:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:12 pm
Lost wrote:Piss poor final game today. Was right up for the Liverpool Vs United. Awful for the neutral, but I'm sure United will be very happy. First points pool have dropped at home. Arsenal completely destroyed Brighton, I was hoping it was going to be one of those they just can't get the ball in the back of the net... not to be in the end. Should have been much more, completely dominant. And Villa took the three points, only after Brentford went down to ten men! :cry:

Made the right choice.

Everton flying at the minute! Am quietly rooting for them this season such is the travesty of their point deduction. How some teams get away with absurd spends through 'loopholes' or prolonged legal palaver... just wrong. Hope there's enough finances for your stadium to get done in the end, would be a lovely ground!

Everton.jpg
(184.78 KiB) Downloaded 1817 times

Wishing you all the worst this Saturday, though. Hope we thrash you. :mrgreen:

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:27 pm Didn't see any of the Liverpool vs Manure game, but surely a missed opportunity for Liverpool and points dropped? The BBC gave some stats (which I know can be BS for pretty much all sports), But......
STATS.jpg
How the hell could that game be goalless based on that??!! Crap from Liverpool or all Manure defenders on the "Goal Line"... ? :tsk: :duck:
A very Mourinho-esque performance, and probably the right one to play to be fair, as ugly as it was. United's frontline have been woeful this season. Rashford with only two goals. £80 million Antony and £72 million striker Hojlund are both 13 games in with zero goal contributions in the prem. Not even an assist. Garnacho has the one goal. To put it in perspective, Tottenham's defence have more goal contributions than United's frontline this season.

Playing for a nil-nil was the right call. :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:46 am To put it in perspective, Tottenham's defence have more goal contributions than United's frontline this season.
That statement will most likely apply to quite a few teams, including Utd themselves.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:37 am
Lost wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:46 am To put it in perspective, Tottenham's defence have more goal contributions than United's frontline this season.
That statement will most likely apply to quite a few teams, including Utd themselves.
I doubt this. Happy to be proven wrong though in regards to 'quite a few teams'. United, yes.

Ok... if we forget about the assists from Tottenham defenders (8) and just look at goals. Tottenham's defenders have scored more goals than United's goalscorers. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:40 am
I doubt this. Happy to be proven wrong though in regards to 'quite a few teams'. United, yes.

Ok... if we forget about the assists from Tottenham defenders (8) and just look at goals. Tottenham's defenders have scored more goals than United's goalscorers. :D
Talking of goalscorers, I still don’t rate Nunez even though he scored a few in his previous games - he was woeful against United!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There won’t be many people surprised that Nottingham Forests Steve Cooper has been sacked although his likely successor (Nuno Espirito Santo) doesn’t have an exemplary track record!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67757915
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League festive fixtures & schedule in full

Kick-offs 15:00 unless stated. All times GMT.

Thursday, 21 December

Crystal Palace v Brighton (20:00)

Friday, 22 December

Aston Villa v Sheffield United (20:00)

Saturday, 23 December

West Ham v Manchester United (12:30)

Fulham v Burnley

Luton Town v Newcastle United

Nottingham Forest v Bournemouth

Tottenham v Everton

Liverpool v Arsenal (17:30)

Sunday, 24 December

Wolves v Chelsea (13:00)

Tuesday, 26 December - Boxing Day fixtures

Newcastle United v Nottingham Forest (12:30)

Bournemouth v Fulham

Sheffield United v Luton Town

Burnley v Liverpool (17:30)

Manchester United v Aston Villa (20:00)

Wednesday, 27 December

Brentford v Wolves (19:30)

Chelsea v Crystal Palace (19:30)

Everton v Manchester City (20:15)

Thursday, 28 December

Brighton v Tottenham (19:30)

Arsenal v West Ham (20:15)

Saturday, 30 December

Luton Town v Chelsea (12:30)

Aston Villa v Burnley

Crystal Palace v Brentford

Manchester City v Sheffield United

Wolves v Everton

Nottingham Forest v Manchester United (17:30)

Sunday, 31 December

Fulham v Arsenal (14:00)

Tottenham v Bournemouth (14:00)

Monday, 1 January

Liverpool v Newcastle United (20:00)

Tuesday, 2 January

West Ham v Brighton (19:30)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:03 am
Lost wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:40 am

Talking of goalscorers, I still don’t rate Nunez even though he scored a few in his previous games - he was woeful against United!!
He has flashes of brilliance amongst his truly awful misses/games. 24 year old I think, don't think his ceiling is that high. Diaz is another of Liverpool's attack that's not consistent at all. I'm glad they swooped in for him when it was 'nailed on' that he was joining Spurs... we got Kulusevski instead! :D
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:12 pm

Made the right choice.

Everton flying at the minute! Am quietly rooting for them this season such is the travesty of their point deduction. How some teams get away with absurd spends through 'loopholes' or prolonged legal palaver... just wrong. Hope there's enough finances for your stadium to get done in the end, would be a lovely ground!

Everton.jpg

Wishing you all the worst this Saturday, though. Hope we thrash you. :mrgreen:

Well we're due a good beating so you may get your wish!

I'm not suggesting that Spuds haven't got players out but I just can't see Everton winning at a sky 6 club WITHOUT Doucoure. He's just too important to us

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Just the five penalty shouts for Villa this half then. I'd be furious if I was Villa. Those of us captaining Watkins in the fpl almost had a windfall... but got nothing. :D

Rooting for Sheffield United of course, Villa's won 15 on the trot at home, a club record. Dropping points against the bottom-of-the-table team would be a much welcomed dent to their form. And of course give Spurs an opportunity to close the gap tomorrow.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:55 am Just the five penalty shouts for Villa this half then. I'd be furious if I was Villa.
Goal disallowed for Villa. :laugh:

Watkins 'assist'. Hoping my poor season of fpl captaining has jinxed this for Villa.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Six penalty shouts.