The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:37 am New rules to speed the union game up. About time this was done.
:cheers:
It's been spoken about for a long while lindos - and as you say it needs to come in. BUT - there are "Feeding" into the scrums, Lineout throws et al, that need to be refereed, that lasted half a season perhaps - look at it now :roll: :banghead: Ultimately, it's the refereeing that needs to change/improve - inconsistent to an extreme at the moment.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm not sure how this 'shot clock' will save time. It looks cosmetic to me. And I confess I thought it was a minute for both penalties and conversions. Why does a conversion need an extra 30 seconds?
I agree with the Welsh Wizard, there are existing rules that need to be better enforced.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Oh how I wish I saw that match, or any match like it! :D The player in the forefront is Fran Cotton. I think the photo is from the Lions in New Zealand in 1977.

321947272_1610068962765293_6762099430457850574_n.jpg
(455.97 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Looks a little bit muddy :duck:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:12 am Oh how I wish I saw that match, or any match like it! :D
Not that unusual in those days! :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, the 2023 6N Tournament is almost upon us!! :dance: :clap: :sun: :clap: :dance:

I've set up the HHF Prediction League once again (thanks for the reminder lindos :thumb: ). Those who have played previously will have been sent an invitation by Email, but those who have not but are interested, details are below: -

https://www.superbru.com/sixnations/pool.php?p=12546553

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

chowears

Fixtures for This Year's Tournament: -
2023-6N-fixture-graphic.jpeg
2023-6N-fixture-graphic.jpeg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 167 times
:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

One of the few English loved and respected in Wales :D :wink: Known as "Dai" over the bridge, David Duckham's attacking style of play was a wonder to see. Absolute class player - '71 Lions and '73 Baa-Baas game vs NZ (again) stand out performances for me. R.I.P. Sir - another great loss. :bow:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64229459
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A couple of very enjoyable games on Friday night, but Clermont vs Leicester takes the biscuit - wow what a game!!

Both sides came into the match with poor results in their respective leagues, but certainly upped their game for this match.

I shan't post the result in case it's possible to watch a repeat/recording of the match...... But, a total of 73 points and 9 tries scored - suffice to say, it was far from boring rugby!! :thumb:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ex-England boss appointed Australia head coach as Dave Rennie sacked

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/64285827

phpbMDQn4PM.jpg
phpbMDQn4PM.jpg (88.6 KiB) Viewed 126 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some magic potion being concocted here?

England Six Nations squad: Billy Vunipola, Jonny May & Jack Nowell left out by Steve Borthwick

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/64287374
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:06 pm Some magic potion being concocted here?

England Six Nations squad: Billy Vunipola, Jonny May & Jack Nowell left out by Steve Borthwick

Well, there are plenty of excellent alternatives to all of these. What I find most surprising is the inclusion of Dan Cole.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:08 pm
PeteC wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:06 pm Some magic potion being concocted here?

Well, there are plenty of excellent alternatives to all of these. What I find most surprising is the inclusion of Dan Cole.
Well the Lillywhites have a great deal of strength in depth, but I'm surprised at some of the omissions. Not mentioned is Sam Underhill - whilst Bath have been dire for the last couple of seasons, Underhill has been one of the few shining lights, playing in a beaten pack on numerous occasions.

As for Cole, he's certainly been playing extremely well, but is getting somewhat long in the tooth - perhaps Borthwick showing his Leicester bias (and anti-Bath sentiment)....

Still, it's a very strong squad. Will be interesting to see the squad Gatland names later today.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A loss for the "Blackness", but he's gone for the money - and who can blame him to be fair. A class act who's coming to the end of his career.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... -world-cup
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:53 pm Will be interesting to see the squad Gatland names later today.
And the sheriff is back in town!! :bow: Ken Owens named Captain - I love Tipuric as a player, but he's not the right choice as Captain in my book. Gats has made some big changes, but has not gone too far, keeping a decent mix of new blood and experience. Wales don't have a huge pool to pick from and we're also suffering with injuries. That said, happy with the squad picked (aside from Cuthbert) and great to see Rhys Webb back! :thumb:

Watch out the Lillywhites... :neener:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64301116
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:12 pm A loss for the "Blackness", but he's gone for the money - and who can blame him to be fair. A class act who's coming to the end of his career.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... -world-cup
It's sad for me as I've been watching these core players for so long, both internationally and locally, it's like attending a funeral when one goes off somewhere probably never to return. There's several others getting close as well due to age that aren't mentioned in that article. Let's go new boys, and there are several now to fill the holes, but not to the skill level we're used to, yet. :cheers: :cheers: