VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Post by buksida »

huahin4ever wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:23 pm I have ditched Express VPN now due to the enormous price hike. I get 2 years with Nord VPN and Surfshark for what Express VPN charges for 1 year now!
Let us know how it compares, was also looking for alternatives after the Express price hike.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:23 pm I have ditched Express VPN now due to the enormous price hike. I get 2 years with Nord VPN and Surfshark for what Express VPN charges for 1 year now!

YNWA
Enormous? I remember a rise, but no more than I expected with inflation. It is very unusual for me not to notice such a large rise. How much was it?

That aside, yes please, keep us updated with how Nord or Surfshark perform. I too will certainly consider changing if Express doesn't improve.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I paid $100 back in January which was the same as the year before so I’m interested to see what it will be in Jan 24?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

The increase was about 20% if I recall. I paid $119 in August and that was after discounting due to a couple of referrals. I asked them about fee hiking for loyal customers and got the usual bullshit about expenses increasing and better services. Domain names, hosting services, cloud subscriptions, and many internet services have all been hiked more than inflation rates this year.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Big Boy wrote:

YNWA
Enormous? I remember a rise, but no more than I expected with inflation. It is very unusual for me not to notice such a large rise. How much was it?

That aside, yes please, keep us updated with how Nord or Surfshark perform. I too will certainly consider changing if Express doesn't improve.
Well, when I got 2 years + 4 months extra with Surfshark for less than the price Express wanted for 12 month renewal, the decision wasn't so hard.

So far Surfshark works good. I use it mostly for watching television, but not UK. I also use it for some special apps which only work in my home country. The last thing I use it for is at work. I work offshore with slow WiFi where there are many other users. By using VPN it seems like I bypass something in the switches/server of our system which slows down the speed.

YNWA

YNWA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a shame - I'm looking for perfection on ITV and BBC. Other UK TV services are fine. Do they do a trial period where you can test before you buy?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a shame - I'm looking for perfection on ITV and BBC. Other UK TV services are fine. Do they do a trial period where you can test before you buy?

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:That's a shame - I'm looking for perfection on ITV and BBC. Other UK TV services are fine. Do they do a trial period where you can test before you buy?
Just do a google search - https://nordvpn.com/offer/?vpn=brand&ga ... 8wEALw_wcB

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, so Nord offer a 30 day money back guarantee. I might try it well in advance of my Express VPN expiry if its so cheap - if Express don't sort themselves out of course.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m thinking of doing the same starting early December - assuming I do I’ll provide feedback here

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Interesting article about Nord

https://cybernews.com/best-vpn/nordvpn- ... 0attention.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Brilliant- thank you. Just the answer I was hoping for.

Points 51; Position 21
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:13 pm That's a shame - I'm looking for perfection on ITV and BBC. Other UK TV services are fine. Do they do a trial period where you can test before you buy?
Not sure anyone can guarantee perfection, but I've had virtually no problems so far in using NordVPN for BBC, ITV, Channel 4 etc, in nearly a year now.

The only slight problem I've had is the occasional slight drop in picture quality when watching live sports events which always rectifies itself within a few seconds. I have never had any such problem while watching things on catch up or with live studio programmes such as the news.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you, that is sounding very good.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wow, just checked NordVPN pricing and Express is taking the pi$$.

$90 for two years + 3 months, about a third of the price of Express. https://nordvpn.com/pricing/

BB, you're the VPN Guinea Pig!