The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by buksida »

Thai beer must be really shite if you guys are all scrapping over Oranjeboom ... :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well I haven’t tried any for many many years, but at 55B a tin, I thought I’d give it a go - similar price to Leo but must taste better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

At that price, I'd have bought them all too!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My son has been telling me of a local craft beer called Hua Hin. First time I've heard of it - anybody tried it?

I've told him to get me a bottle/can when he can - I'll let you know my thoughts when/if the beer actually arrives.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Hua Hin beer is brewed by Thai Spirit Industry, the contract brewer in Chachoengsao. The Untappd entry doesn't have much info other than that it is a lager with 5% ABV. It has one rating of 3.75 out of 5. That reviewer's description (translated by Untappd) says. "It looks more flavorful. The beer is a bit thicker than the typical lager." That reviewer consumed the beer at "Three Dots & A Dash" in Hua Hin which is at 29/4 Naebkehardt Rd, near Soi 51.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for that :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Tried what was labelled as an 'American IPA' today. Nice but a little too citrusy for me (am I doing the lingo right beer people? :D). Is that a common trait of the US IPAs? Could just Google I know, but I enjoy discussion here.

Unrelated, but in the previous thread I said I'd never bother with fruity beers anymore. My beer of choice atm is the grapefruit infused Brewdog or Aldi equivalent IPA's. Something about the bitterness of the grapefruit seems to work.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

From Untappd:

"Characterized by floral, fruity, citrus-like, piney or resinous American-variety hop character, the IPA beer style is all about hop flavor, aroma and bitterness. This has been the most-entered category at the Great American Beer Festival for more than a decade, and is the top-selling craft beer style in supermarkets and liquor stores across the U.S.."
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Cheers Ratsima. To me, this one had a slightly similar aftertaste to a lipton lemon ice tea. A little overpowering for me, but still decent enough. Will continue to try my way through different IPAs, Brewdog/Aldi own brand still my favourites.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I have a problem with fruity beer, it doesn't taste like beer to me. I think it's basically something to try and attract non-beer drinkers to drink beer.
I'm the opposite, I joined the navy at 16 and rapidly became a confirmed beer drinker, I don't need any additiinal encouragement!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote:Well I was either too late or too early - I arrived at 11.15 and there was just one can left - I very reluctantly took that and will look next time I’m there (normally we get there before beer serving time) after 11am!!
I’ve been back to Makro Cha Am twice and no sign of Oranjeboom, so suspect that’s it. Only having the one can I held onto it until a suitable occasion which was last night. Although I’m not a big fan of lager beer, it was definitely less “chemical” than the run of the mill Thai beers that everyone stocks.

Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

It’s really hit and miss isn’t it? The other day I was at the Mall, Korat and spotted a single can of Relax, a hazy New England IPA by Offshoot brewing in Placentia, California. It was delightful. I’ll probably never see it again
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

I hadn’t seen it in a few weeks, but today at round 10:45 I arrived at the Makro in Cha Am and there it was again - Oranjeboom at 55 baht per 500 ml can. It has a BBE date of 22APR2024.

I took six and left two.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m in the UK at the moment and there are lots of good deals on beers in the supermarkets such as 10 cans of Green King Abbot Ale for £11 and Doom Bar for £11.50, but the absolute cheapest was 4 cans of Asda own brand bitter for just £1.10 - mind you it was only 2% alcohol so probably disgusting, but I guess you could have those 4 cans and still pass a breathalyser test!!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This could have a serious (positive) impact on small breweries in Thailand - things should become clearer in the coming weeks.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Food-B ... ve-Forward