Buying a new smart TV

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Buying a new smart TV

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:38 pm Out of interest though, what software/Apps are you wanting to/considering adding that don't come as a standard or via updates? Can't say I've ever looked further than what's provided - though that's simply down to me not being knowledgeable on the subject. Something else for me to look out for perhaps.....
Express VPN, Youtube Vanced, Kodi, and Livenet TV for a start - all can be installed on a phone or set-top box, but none can be on the brand-name TVs that have their own restricted operating systems.
HHTel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:18 pm It should be noted that afaik OLED/QLED has nothing to do with 'smart'. It's a new picture technology. We've gone from Plasma through LCD, LED etc and now to OLED/QLED
Well aware of that, thanks. Need to compare LED/OLED/QLED side by side now to see if it makes that much of a difference.
bigston wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:51 pm almost of the panels in tvs today are either LG or Samsung, or some real crap chinese knock off ones
some of the cheaper brands use tier 2 panels which can be old techology,and can be missing a lot of the picture processing technology or surplus to current requirements for the bigger brands
you will find failures with all brands but less in the better brands , with hopefully an easier service experience
I've had failures with 2 LGs, and Samsung and Sony are like Apple with their control over the software, app stores, and what they let you play, so no thanks.

Nearly all of the innards are made in China anyway, and those TCLs get decent writeups on the western review sites. I'm not really a brand monkey so refuse to pay 50% more for something that will last an equal or shorter time (servicing not a factor as we live miles away from civilization). As said, my eyes are not great so I don't need all the gimmicks and new-fangled picture wizardry anyway.
pharvey wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:54 am Another point to mention I guess is screen size - personally I don't see the need for anything larger than +/- 50", but each to their own. Costs and picture quality must be effected on larger sizes - especially the likes of 85" for example.
Right, the toasted LG one was a 49" so upgrading to 55" or 60" seems reasonable - plus I wont have to replace the bracket on the wall or move the couch! :thumb:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am
pharvey wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:38 pm Out of interest though, what software/Apps are you wanting to/considering adding that don't come as a standard or via updates? Can't say I've ever looked further than what's provided - though that's simply down to me not being knowledgeable on the subject. Something else for me to look out for perhaps.....
Express VPN, Youtube Vanced, Kodi, and Livenet TV for a start - all can be installed on a phone or set-top box, but none can be on the brand-name TVs that have their own restricted operating systems.
Certainly don't want to hijack the thread - perhaps should be in "Software", although in this instance certainly relates to "Smart TV's".

I'd truly be interested in the likes of Kodi (thought that was dead) and Express VPN - more so getting them on a Smart TV and how to actually use them.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

There was an old thread on Kodi here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27063

It would be handy to have it on the TV directly rather than messing around with boxes. The VPN installed directly on the TV would also allow iPlayer and ITV to work through a non-intrusive browser such as Brave as it does on a laptop. The big tech corporations have other ideas though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Regarding picture quality on larger TV's: I have an 86" and I certainly don't see any degradation of the picture compared with smaller TV's I have in the house. It does need to be at least 4K though. Although it has the same number of pixels regardless of size, the pixels are bigger. You would have to be very very close to the screen to pick out individual pixels.
It's also enhanced by HDR (High Dynamic Range) which I think most of the new TV's have. My laptop produces HDR and my TV has it's own. It can handle either.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Just a quick note that there's phone/tablet Android and then there's Android TV. Not only does Android TV have different play store but some apps may not even be side loadable. Aptoide and APKPure may be useable as alternative stores but still no guarantee that any given app will install on Android tv.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll definitely be getting an open set-top box from the UK anyway for apps that the TV won't install, but it would be nice to have a little more flexibility than what the big brands currently offer with their Applesque operating systems.

The previous LG we had barely played YouTube, and when it did you were bombarded with Shoppee ads every 5 minutes because there was no way to install a VPN - it was pretty much unwatchable. I know there are workarounds, but the new laptop is for work so I don't want that plugged into the TV all the time (though we've been watching TV on it for the past week waiting for the LG repair).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've never had adverts watching Youtube on smart. I tend to use the TV to watch such as youtube. I like the way it presents random videos. Of course you can search too.
The bars tend to use Youtube on their TV's but I've never seen adverts popping up.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Lucky you, YT on our TV is (was) unwatchable due to the incessant Thai advertising - hence the desire for Vanced or a VPN on the set.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:49 am
HHTel wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:18 pm It should be noted that afaik OLED/QLED has nothing to do with 'smart'. It's a new picture technology. We've gone from Plasma through LCD, LED etc and now to OLED/QLED
Well aware of that, thanks. Need to compare LED/OLED/QLED side by side now to see if it makes that much of a difference.
bigston wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:51 pm almost of the panels in tvs today are either LG or Samsung, or some real crap chinese knock off ones
some of the cheaper brands use tier 2 panels which can be old techology,and can be missing a lot of the picture processing technology or surplus to current requirements for the bigger brands
you will find failures with all brands but less in the better brands , with hopefully an easier service experience
I've had failures with 2 LGs, and Samsung and Sony are like Apple with their control over the software, app stores, and what they let you play, so no thanks.

Nearly all of the innards are made in China anyway, and those TCLs get decent writeups on the western review sites. I'm not really a brand monkey so refuse to pay 50% more for something that will last an equal or shorter time (servicing not a factor as we live miles away from civilization). As said, my eyes are not great so I don't need all the gimmicks and new-fangled picture wizardry anyway.
pharvey wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:54 am Another point to mention I guess is screen size - personally I don't see the need for anything larger than +/- 50", but each to their own. Costs and picture quality must be effected on larger sizes - especially the likes of 85" for example.
Right, the toasted LG one was a 49" so upgrading to 55" or 60" seems reasonable - plus I wont have to replace the bracket on the wall or move the couch! :thumb:
On the basis that you say your eyes are not that great, an OLED/QLED TV might be a waste of money so an LED should suffice and as you mention, TCL’s get fairly good reviews regarding quality/bang for your buck!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Youtube advertising comes from Youtube regardless of which device you use. People pay them for advertising content and part of that goes to whoever put on the video.
If it wasn't for that there wouldn't be much content on there.
To get rid of it you have to pay for a premium account.
One thing I've noticed is that it's targeted, if you watch something like the latest music, you'll get loads of it but you can watch a whole 1950s movie without any.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But..but...but. I've never had adverts on youtube. Not from my laptop or using the TV facility. You're welcome to sit with me watching youtube for hours with no adverts. I get plenty of adverts on other sites, but not Youtube.

I have Avast on my laptop but I don't think that has anything to do with it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

You must have a paid subscription/premium account. The only way I (or anyone else I know) can watch YouTube without ads on any device is by installing Vanced (which Google has tried to ban).

Anyhoo ... back to TVs :offtopic:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just as a last word. The only subscription I have is for Avast paid annually. Now I'm really curious!
Do the bars pay for a premium? I never see adverts there either.

I do have an adblocker (Adblock - free) but that wouldn't affect the tv facility.
Another option is to use the ad blocking software to remove the ads on YouTube. I
https://content.techgig.com/internet/3- ... 081327.cms
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't believe it. Today, my TV insisted I update the Youtube app. I didn't envisage any problem so I agreed.

Now my Youtube on the TV is inundated with ads and can happen at anytime, even whilst watching an article.

Grrrrr
buksida

Post by buksida »

The screen is starting to go on the old LG and I refuse to spend any more money repairing it again (will be the third time).

So ... new TV time and those Hisense ones look impressive for the price. Laz has a bunch of 55" models from around 9k to 12k, not sure what the difference between them is aside from the year of manufacture and model number?

Considering going up to a 65" but not sure whether it'll fit on the same wall bracket our current 49" is on (can't be arsed messing around with a new one).