British Food

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: British Food

Post by HHTel »

As we're in 'memory lane', who remembers chitlins.
For the uneducated, they are the small intestines from a pig! A common serving at Granny's.

And tripe and onions, another favourite.

Kids today - they don't know they're born!!!
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

The batter scraps from the local chippy 1 old penny a small bag and jam roly poly, which was suet pudding with jam.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

living for a week on bread and dripping
I'd forgotten about bread and dripping. That's when we knew there wasn't enough money in the kitty even for spam!
Used to fight over the brown juices at the bottom of the basin.
[/quote]

In those days it was “real” meat that produced wonderful dripping and the meat juices - nowadays most meat will produce a poor imitation of the real thing!!
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

:naughty: Well, when i think about good and delicous food Italien, France dishes are in my mind. I have been many times in the UK, England only, and i tryed the original English food.

But when i write what i think about that - i guess i will be banned in this Forum. :naughty:
Greets,
Phyton
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:17 am The batter scraps from the local chippy 1 old penny a small bag and jam roly poly, which was suet pudding with jam.
"Scraps" are still a favorite, although not had the luxury of visiting the local "Chippie" in a while. Now "Jam Roly Poly".... Ahhhh - not had that in a long while - with custard of course!! :thumb:

And another pudding favorite, Rice Pudding - I think I must have been 16 before I was allowed a small portion of the "skin" which my father always claimed!! :roll:

Is there a "Salavating Emoji"? :wink: :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:11 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:17 am The batter scraps from the local chippy 1 old penny a small bag and jam roly poly, which was suet pudding with jam.
"Scraps" are still a favorite, although not had the luxury of visiting the local "Chippie" in a while. Now "Jam Roly Poly".... Ahhhh - not had that in a long while - with custard of course!! :thumb:

And another pudding favorite, Rice Pudding - I think I must have been 16 before I was allowed a small portion of the "skin" which my father always claimed!! :roll:

Is there a "Salavating Emoji"? :wink: :D

I don’t know if rice pudding in the UK is different from that in the US, but I absolutely love it! Can it be found locally here in Hua Hin? I used to buy a brand called Kozy Shack and it was heaven. Even the low-fat version seemed decadent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm I don’t know if rice pudding in the UK is different from that in the US, but I absolutely love it! Can it be found locally here in Hua Hin? I used to buy a brand called Kozy Shack and it was heaven. Even the low-fat version seemed decadent.
My son spotted it on the shelf in Villa Market about a week ago. Way beyond my modest means though.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a recipe for these monsoon days. Many others out there as well with a search "British rice pudding recipe"

https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-trad ... ing-435618
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm I don’t know if rice pudding in the UK is different from that in the US, but I absolutely love it! Can it be found locally here in Hua Hin? I used to buy a brand called Kozy Shack and it was heaven. Even the low-fat version seemed decadent.
My son spotted it on the shelf in Villa Market about a week ago. Way beyond my modest means though.
Oh no, can't be [EDIT] "Shouldn't be" bought in a tin, much like "Corned Beef Hash"
PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm Here's a recipe for these monsoon days. Many others out there as well with a search "British rice pudding recipe"

Traditionally made with "Short Grain or Pudding Rice" in the UK, but when living and working in China & Thailand for many years, we made do with Long Grain Rice (as we do even now in the UK) - all good.

Very simple to do - Decent milk (hard to find at times in Asia), butter and sugar (or substitute). No need for "fancies" (vanilla, lemon etc - as my Grandmother and Mam would say)..... No offence Pete! :wink:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:53 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:29 pm
Oh no, can't be [EDIT] "Shouldn't be" bought in a tin, much like "Corned Beef Hash"
PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:31 pm Here's a recipe for these monsoon days. Many others out there as well with a search "British rice pudding recipe"

Traditionally made with "Short Grain or Pudding Rice" in the UK, but when living and working in China & Thailand for many years, we made do with Long Grain Rice (as we do even now in the UK) - all good.

Very simple to do - Decent milk (hard to find at times in Asia), butter and sugar (or substitute). No need for "fancies" (vanilla, lemon etc - as my Grandmother and Mam would say)..... No offence Pete! :wink:

Adding a tin of Carnation milk (not condensed) will add a nice taste, as will a grating of nutmeg!!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Phyton wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:07 pm :naughty: Well, when i think about good and delicous food Italien, France dishes are in my mind. I have been many times in the UK, England only, and i tryed the original English food.

But when i write what i think about that - i guess i will be banned in this Forum. :naughty:
All my life I have heard many foreigners complain about English Food. I am sure the main reason for this is that good English food was never served in restaurants in England. In my younger days there was no such thing as an English restaurant. Good English food was made by mother's and grandmother's and could only be got in the home. Things like a good Sunday Roast has to be served straight from the oven, very fresh! It could never be served in a restaurant because it took at least 3 hours to cook. Nowadays Sunday Roast is available in many pubs & restaurants in England but most of it is still warmed up or kept warm. A freshly made home made steak & kidney pie served in a 10 inch pie dish tastes infinitely better than any factory made pie. Even now, if you want top quality English food in an English restaurant, you have to visit "Simpsons on the Strand" or one of the other very old restaurants who have been serving top English food for 200-300 years. Incidently, you can also get top, top English wine there. As good as, if not better, than almost any wine from other parts of the world.
English food seems to be judged by fish & chip shops and various street food which is not correct. I have been in France and Italy many times and have been in many restaurants where there is no menu. Everybody eats what the chef has prepared that day and it is normally extremely good and made from local ingrediants. These type of restaurants never existed in England in the past. They are springing up now but normally with a very French cooking style. The old English dishes are vanishing rapidly as the mothers and grandmothers no longer make them. It is a pity but nice to see that some dishes no longer available in England are still available in Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm

I don’t know if rice pudding in the UK is different from that in the US, but I absolutely love it! Can it be found locally here in Hua Hin? I used to buy a brand called Kozy Shack and it was heaven. Even the low-fat version seemed decadent.
Nany's often has Ambrosia cream rice pudding with sultanas and nutmeg. Delicious!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:03 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 pm

Nany's often has Ambrosia cream rice pudding with sultanas and nutmeg. Delicious!
Thanks, I’ll check it out. Sounds like I might want to try a full English breakfast there too!
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

HarryVardon wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:53 pm
Phyton wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:07 pm :naughty: Well, when i think about good and delicous food Italien, France dishes are in my mind. I have been many times in the UK, England only, and i tryed the original English food.

All my life I have heard many foreigners complain about English Food. I am sure the main reason for this is that good English food was never served in restaurants in England. In my younger days there was no such thing as an English restaurant. Good English food was made by mother's and grandmother's and could only be got in the home. Things like a good Sunday Roast has to be served straight from the oven, very fresh! It could never be served in a restaurant because it took at least 3 hours to cook. Nowadays Sunday Roast is available in many pubs & restaurants in England but most of it is still warmed up or kept warm. A freshly made home made steak & kidney pie served in a 10 inch pie dish tastes infinitely better than any factory made pie. Even now, if you want top quality English food in an English restaurant, you have to visit "Simpsons on the Strand" or one of the other very old restaurants who have been serving top English food for 200-300 years. Incidently, you can also get top, top English wine there. As good as, if not better, than almost any wine from other parts of the world.
English food seems to be judged by fish & chip shops and various street food which is not correct. I have been in France and Italy many times and have been in many restaurants where there is no menu. Everybody eats what the chef has prepared that day and it is normally extremely good and made from local ingrediants. These type of restaurants never existed in England in the past. They are springing up now but normally with a very French cooking style. The old English dishes are vanishing rapidly as the mothers and grandmothers no longer make them. It is a pity but nice to see that some dishes no longer available in England are still available in Thailand.
Basicly you right, at home taste best.
In Germany, France and Italy we have many family owned restaurants where mama or grandma is the chef.
Myself i grow up...when i was 6 years old, my parents open a restaurant and a butchery. My grandma did the cooking....so i agree with you. But a Sunday roast with a prepare time 3 or 4 hours is no problem in a restaurant.
Some dishes as low temperature roast needs up to 6 hours - no problem.

I was many times in England, my first holiday in my first car, i drove to England....later i worked in Germany for a IT-Company, headquater in England, and i visited England many times.

My wife never been in UK before, and some years ago, we spent a long weekend in London.
I checked before in London traditional old English restaurants where we took every meal.

Yes, some dishes in UK are very strange for people from the Continent...as Lamb pie with mint and apricot sauce.....we tried....
:bow:

:thumb:
Greets,
Phyton
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Phyton, by all means, please start a thread on the delicous food Italien, France dishes are in your mind. I would be happy to hear about them, but not on a British Food thread.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: