Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I know that, and you know that, but it is still ambiguous - I had to read it a couple of times to fully understand.
I believe the posters are in regard to 60 and 90 day visas
It would be better if you could say, "I am sure the posters are in regard to 60 and 90 day visas."
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Confusion-Solution

Our confusion was caused because we equated Visa with Extension. Although we commonly call the 90 day extension a 90 day visa, it isn't a visa. So.....All 90 day Extensions must be renewed by August 31st. This is via my wife, per the chief immigration officer in Hua Hin.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I didn’t think it was an extension - you do your annual extension based on whatever type of visa you entered the country on (e.g. O or O-A) and then every 90 days you have to report that you are still here, so you’re not extending anything, that’s already been done!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:34 pm I didn’t think it was an extension - you do your annual extension based on whatever type of visa you entered the country on (e.g. O or O-A) and then every 90 days you have to report that you are still here, so you’re not extending anything, that’s already been done!!
Sorry, I meant to say, Notification of Residence.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Renewed my 'extension to stay' today.
IN AND OUT IN 20 MINS!

Not this time. What with registration and document checks, I was lucky to get out in under 2 hours.
An interesting development happened which should answer a lot of the earlier queries.

Conversation went like this:'
Me: I know you can only extend until my passport runs out. I was unwilling to renew my passport before as I was worried about getting it back in time.
IO: So could you renew your passport in 2 months?
Me: I'd imagine so as things have become easier.
IO: Then why don't you do that and come back when you have your new passport?
Me: Because my extension to stay is about to run out.
IO: Doesn't matter. You have until 26th September before you need to do your extension.
Me: I was under the impression that the amnesty doesn't cover annual extensions.
IO: It cover ALL foreigners. It doesn't matter the reason.
Me: Well I'm here now so you might as well do the extension till the end of the year. I know I'll have to do it all again with my new passport.

This was confirmed again when I got upstairs. Therefore anyone who believes their permission to stay is running out, they have until 26th September.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 pm Renewed my 'extension to stay' today.
IN AND OUT IN 20 MINS!

Not this time. What with registration and document checks, I was lucky to get out in under 2 hours.
An interesting development happened which should answer a lot of the earlier queries.

Conversation went like this:'
Me: I know you can only extend until my passport runs out. I was unwilling to renew my passport before as I was worried about getting it back in time.
IO: So could you renew your passport in 2 months?
Me: I'd imagine so as things have become easier.
IO: Then why don't you do that and come back when you have your new passport?
Me: Because my extension to stay is about to run out.
IO: Doesn't matter. You have until 26th September before you need to do your extension.
Me: I was under the impression that the amnesty doesn't cover annual extensions.
IO: It cover ALL foreigners. It doesn't matter the reason.
Me: Well I'm here now so you might as well do the extension till the end of the year. I know I'll have to do it all again with my new passport.

This was confirmed again when I got upstairs. Therefore anyone who believes their permission to stay is running out, they have until 26th September.
Which is what I had suggested when I renewed my extension of stay back in June - although I didn’t specifically ask the question as I was just relieved not to have faced any problems for being “late” (which I obviously wasn’t). Anyway, good to have it confirmed categorically!! :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sounds grand in theory ... but to piss on the fire, would you really want to join the queues with thousands of others on Sept 26 when they all have to renew at the same time!? :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Going back to the poster, it did say if you go early, renewal dates would be dated 26 Sept (mine wasn't :cry:). Actually, I transfer my cash every month etc., so there's no advantage in delaying it.

Points 51; Position 21
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK, my extension is due on September 11th 2020. By the sound of it, I could go on September 26th without any penalty.

That's fine but would I get the extension until September 26th 2021? I genuinely don't know but I would expect that I'd only get until September 11th 2021. In other words, I'd not "gain" two weeks but I wouldn't be fined, locked up, deported etc. Maybe someone can confirm that?

Either way, I'll do mine sometime next month anyway (up to 30 days early). It just seems so much easier to do it that way rather than wait for the inevitable rush.

I also was at Imm yesterday getting a letter for my driving licence. I wasn't upstairs at the main office but my overall impression was that the building was a ghost town apart from Burmese etc doing whatever they have to do and the occasional stray farang like me. I got there about 2.30pm and was done and dusted within 20 minutes. Heaven. I don't fancy the idea of having to camp outside for two days prior to get my extension done on September 26th.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I renewed mine in June I was about a week late and the extension was granted to one year from the original expiry date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....."All types of visa extensions will be effective from September 27, 2020".....

On the Immigration flyer on page 18 above, and I've read it in several other articles as well.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:39 am That's fine but would I get the extension until September 26th 2021? I genuinely don't know but I would expect that I'd only get until September 11th 2021. In other words, I'd not "gain" two weeks but I wouldn't be fined, locked up, deported etc. Maybe someone can confirm that?
The way I read this is you would gain that magical 2 weeks extra/
ltv.jpg
ltv.jpg (74.11 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My take on this is that whenever you get your extension, it will run from the original expiry date just as it is when you go early. In general, there's no time advantage in leaving it until later.
In my case, it would have given me more time to get my passport renewed had I known.

Lomu, I was there after the lunch break at 1pm. It may have looked quiet downstairs but upstairs was very busy with every IO position open and many waiting. Ten to one, downstairs was crowded as they had to wait for registration and document checking before proceeding upstairs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hence my comment regarding ambiguity last Saturday. It can, and probably will, be translated several ways. Is it worth taking a chance for 14 days? We know that whatever interpretation an IO gives, he/she will be supported by their peers.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Covid19 - updates on immigration and visa extensions

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thailand is not renowned for its forward-thinking logic, but can you imagine what Immigration would look like on 26 September 2021 if everybody’s extension ran out on the same date? Despite how it is written, it’s a safe bet that it will be 12 months from the expiry date of the last extension - if not, heaven help you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk