The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by buksida »

It should just update over the old version (at least version 38.1.0 did). You may need to accept the server security certificates again before it connects to the mail servers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks for that Buksi. I've never had trouble with Thunderbird updates before, but this one appears to be different.
It's installed a new version with a calender and chat function. However, it seems to have installed it as a new "clean" version and wants me to create a new account.

The menu bar as the top has the items: Get Messages, but this is not highlighted and will not activate. Then there are highlighted options: Write, Chat, Address Book (still contains all my contacts), then Tag and Quick Filter which are not activated.

I can't find any way into the existing accounts or profile and I'm not get any prompt to accept server security certificates.
Any ideas?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Your existing profiles should all be there, Thunderbird doesn't delete them - it should just be a case of importing them into the new version:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_ ... isappeared
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I have 2 USB flash drives, 1 x 32 GB and 1 x 16 GB.
The first one shows 29.2 GB of free space and the second one 15.5 GB.
I'm trying to download a movie from my computer to a flash drive. The movie is 9.4 GB.
However, when I attempt to drag the file onto either flash drive, I get the error message "File is too large for the destination file system".
Does anyone have an idea what I need to do?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

9.4 gb is a massive size for a movie. MASSIVE.

I can't help with the fault itself (which will be some bug in either the file or the flash drives) may I suggest you name the title of the movie and I shall direct you to an 'at least' 3gb file, which will make things much easier.

I once downloaded a 29gb Blue Ray file (took like... a day or something) to see how graphically 'amazing' it was. It wasn't! It was the same, in comparison, to the 2.4 gb file from another site. The movie was 'Prometheus'.

9.4GB is a silly size file. What's the movie?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

barrys wrote:I have 2 USB flash drives, 1 x 32 GB and 1 x 16 GB.
The first one shows 29.2 GB of free space and the second one 15.5 GB.
I'm trying to download a movie from my computer to a flash drive. The movie is 9.4 GB.
However, when I attempt to drag the file onto either flash drive, I get the error message "File is too large for the destination file system".
Does anyone have an idea what I need to do?
This should explain things for you Barry: -

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detai ... emory-card

:cheers: :cheers:

[EDIT] As GLC says, 9+ GB?? Must be one hell of a movie!! :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

It's the 3D version of Rise Of An Empire
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

barrys wrote:It's the 3D version of Rise Of An Empire
If it's 300:Rise of an Empire you are talking about, here is a much smaller - and more than likely better - file size....

https://yts.to/movie/300-rise-of-an-empire-2014

Just click the 3D option next to the 720p and 1080p and it will download directly to your computer. You must have a torrent site dowloaded first like BitComet or Utorrent (takes 1 minute to download) to be able to download.

http://www.bitcomet.com/

WARNING - MOVIE IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL MOVIE, '300'. :D
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks very much guys :bow:

@pharvey
I never knew about the formatting, so thanks a lot for that. I reformatted the USB drive to exFAT as recommended and was then able to download the movie file to it immediately. The only problem was that my smart TV then said it couldn't read the device/file.
Reformatted the USB drive back to FAT32 and the TV recognised it again, but I didn't have the movie file any more, of course!

@GLC Quantum
I already have u torrent, so I'm now downloading the much smaller file you recommended. Still has 40 mins to go but I'll let you know how it turns out.
I've read too that it's not as good as the original movie, but I've got this smart 3D-capable TV and I've never watched a 3D movie on it yet in nearly 2 years, so I thought I'd give it a go.

So next question is - slightly off topic, I'm afraid - does anyone know of any really good 3D movies I can download?

Thanks a million for all your help so far :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by barrys on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've moved all of the torrents posts out of here and into the torrents topic: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16137&start=58
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,
I have never 'stored' a file before.
My wife insists with the advent of USB sticks, cds/dvds have become out-dated.
I am not quite convinced.

I want to 'store' my It Favourites file. Which memory medium is more suitable or safer - USB or Dvd?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'

P.S. Please, excuse my weak computer terminology.
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^
I've used the same usb stick for six years and have had no problems. I've also been using a usb stick that recently did a full cycle in a hot water washing machine (left it in my trouser pocket) and it's still absolutely fine. I can't say that I've had the same luck with a CD.

For peace of mind, you could just store it on both a USB and a DVD/CD. If it's got stuff there that you really don't want to lose it doesn't hurt having it stored on a few things.

:cheers:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

MB, have you considered 'the cloud'? It's a little hard to get your head round at first but if you want really reliable and future-proof storage, this might be the best way to go for you. It will depend on what you want to store and how you want to access it but I have around 90GB of photos from the the last 15 years up there and feel it's very secure.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

thanks for your valuable info.
I shall give it a try.
Last year my hard drive broke, and I lost all my files.

I fear it was my fault.
Haven't told anyone though. Lol
I am afraid I overdid the formatting. Lol

Warm regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

External Hard Drive Not Recognised - Data Recovery Hua Hin

Post by JimmyGreaves »

I have a 1TB external drive as so - http://www.freecom.com/product/tough-dr ... 1tb-56057/

The drive is no longer being recognised in a multitude of laptops I have tried. I have some data that I would like to try and recover. Does anyone know of someone in Hua Hin who does this type of work or any ideas?

:banghead: Cheers
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip