The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by sateeb »

My suggestion obviously fell on deaf ears, ho hum, anyway back to movies.

Blinded By The Light (2019), for those of a certain age who remember Thatchers Britain in 1987.
In Luton, England in 1987, a teenager from an Asian family learns to live his life, understand his family and find his own voice through the music of American rock star Bruce Springsteen. (IMDB) :cheers:

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The thread title was changed as suggested more than 10 days ago.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

My apologies if so, I used the search facility and it came back as Movies on DVD :cheers: .

Anyway, back to movies and on the same theme as the above I highly recommend Yesterday(2019) Dir. Danny Boyle.

A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles after waking up in an alternate timeline where they never existed.(IMDB)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: out of 5
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The Windermere Children.

The harrowing and ultimately life-affirming story of Holocaust children who were relocated and rehabilitated in the UK after World War II. It began with uncertainty and fear in the new land, however it eventually led to the triumph of hope and goodwill and life-long friendship and happiness that they all cherish.

Not for everyone but I for one really enjoyed it. Hopefully some people will watch it and realise that compassion for those less fortunate than ourselves costs nothing!!

― George Carlin
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

For any horror fans out there, I thought 'Dr Sleep' was excellent! Well worth viewing. A follow on from 'The Shining' it delivers on the creep front. Fine performances from both Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

For those into disturbing, weird and different movies watch...

The Lighthouse

Robert Pattinson's best performance since 'Twilight' ( :laugh:) alongside, well... who else? Who would possibly star in a weird niche movie such as this?

Well, William Defoe of course! Adding another deformed string to his bow after 'Antichrist', Defoe plays a lighthouse keeper stranded with his understudy (Pattinson). As isolation and drink takes hold the two of them sink ever further into depths of delusion.

The cinematography is awesome in this. Think it may have been nominated for an acadamy award.

The cinema was great for this one!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:44 am For any horror fans out there, I thought 'Dr Sleep' was excellent! Well worth viewing. A follow on from 'The Shining' it delivers on the creep front. Fine performances from both Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson.

Mixed feelings on this one. Excellent or Fecking Excellent. Really enjoyed it - I'm not a great fan of horror, but I am a great fan of Stephen King.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Ginjaninja »

Lost wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 am Never have my eyes been so tightly fixed to a screen. Never has my attention been stolen from me for so long. Never have I journeyed so far in a film.

Midsommar

A masterpiece. Watch it. Feel it. Let it take you on a trip.

10/10
Finally got round to watching Midsommar.
Started off slow but worth following through to the end. Quite disturbing actually.
I feel like the movie should have been filmed at nighttime as it would have made a cracking horror flick. However the daytime cinematics were actually quite superb.

"A Masterpiece" - hmm not so sure....
"10/10" - Probably more generous than I would give.

If you liked Midsommar you should try The Village. Not dissimilar and pretty good in my opinion.

Another quite disturbing film which I think is way better; is Björk's unequivocal masterpiece Dancer in the Dark

8)
GN.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Lost »

Ginjaninja wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:52 pm
If you liked Midsommar you should try The Village. Not dissimilar and pretty good in my opinion.

Another quite disturbing film which I think is way better; is Björk's unequivocal masterpiece Dancer in the Dark

8)
GN.
Enjoyed 'The Village'. Must admit I'm a big fan of all M. Night Shyamalan films. The widely panned, 'Lady in the Water' being a favourite of mine. :oops:

Tnx for the recommendation on Dancer in the Dark. Not heard of it before. Gonna go look that up.

:cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Just re watching To End All Wars on cable TV
A true story about four Allied POWs who endure harsh treatment from their Japanese captors during World War II while being forced to build a railroad through the Burmese jungle. Ultimately they find true freedom by forgiving their enemies. Based on the true story of Ernest Gordon.

Those that have visited Kanchanaburi will be familiar with the locations. One of the most powerful, moving films I've ever seen.

Not many hits on Piratebay but plenty on Limetorrents.

― George Carlin
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

If you liked that you should also check out Kokoda.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Ginjaninja wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 pm If you liked that you should also check out Kokoda.
Downloading it on Limetorrents :cheers:

Don't try that one on the 3 clues thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

― George Carlin
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

There is a scene in Kokoda that is honestly probably the most brutal thing I’ve seen in cinema. I had to hit pause several times to get through it....
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

What made To End All Wars so moving to me was that I've been to Hellfire Pass and can only imagine the hardships endured.

― George Carlin
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guy Ritchie doing what Guy Ritchie does ... this one is superb - great lineup, great dialogue. IMO his best since Snatch.

The Gentleman
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8367814/

Download: https://yts.mx/movie/the-gentlemen-2019
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson