Asia Cup 2007

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I need a bloody brain transfer.
The missus got back 30 mins ago, the curry's nearly ready and I made her check all the Thai tv stations to look for the game. All I saw from your post, Pete, was 17.20 and 7 and 7 and 7 . I assumed the game kicked off at 7.30pm. The 17.30 didn't register. Duh!!!
Anyway, I've put another 50 chillies in the curry to atone for my sins.
Please give us the fixture times again - I promise I'll try and pay attention next time
:cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok, next time we'll do it the Thai way.... sip jet nalliga, yee-sip natee, or haa muang yen, yee sipt natee....LOL. Channel 7 did have it in English again on UBC anyway. I didn't push the "alternative language" button so perhaps the 'primary' language even on the Thai stations is English this time around. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Right now LOMU Vietnam and Qatar are at it, first half, 0-0. I'm not watching yet but it's probably on Star Sports if not on Channel 7? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

footie

Post by redzonerocker »

thats football pete. the games won at that stage so just waste time & try not to let the opponents get possesion of the ball.
sometimes tedious but also part & parcel of the game.
ps, your knowledge & interpretations of football are coming on leaps & bounds :D (except for the 'going for more scores') substitute scores for goals & you're sorted :thumb:
come on thailand!
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

prcscct wrote:Ok, next time we'll do it the Thai way.... sip jet nalliga, yee-sip natee, or haa muang yen, yee sipt natee....LOL. Channel 7 did have it in English again on UBC anyway. I didn't push the "alternative language" button so perhaps the 'primary' language even on the Thai stations is English this time around. Pete
Don't try and confuse me with Thai time. I've got enough trouble with the sun coming up and down. Throws me into confusion every day.
Anyway, as redzonerocker says, us Brits started the timewasting, so I suppose others will follow suit? The thing is that I've seen a team winning by the odd goal before and they go all defensive. Quite often, they get away with a draw, or even lose.
The best form of defence is attack?
As already mentioned, I also think you're ready for IKTS this coming season. I just don't think that Noooocastle have an earthly. He he.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm in a sweat. I watched most of the second half Vietnam-Qatar. Final 1-1 and it should have been about 5-1 Qatar. Bad breaks, and at least 8 shots on goal in the last 30 minutes that either bounced off the bar or missed by inches (as good as a mile, I know). These last 30 minutes were 99% in the face of the VN goal keeper. I think I saw the ball twice at the other end.

From what was announced, the VN goal came off a very bad mistake by the Qatar keeper in the first half. After watching this, I would say Thailand could beat VN. VN did not show much stamina and fouled deliberately towards the end, to the tune of 2 yellow cards.

Keep an eye on #23 from Qatar, a Sebastian Cantanna (sp). He's not an ME guy, perhaps a Spanish or Portugese import to their national team? Pete :cheers:

PS: Trivia question. Has anyone ever seen a Pakistan or India football match televised? I haven't. Do they have national teams? They sure should and be good with all the previous British influence. Seems odd?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:The best form of defence is attack?
As already mentioned, I also think you're ready for IKTS this coming season. I just don't think that Noooocastle have an earthly. He he.
Thanks for the kind words, RZR also. Of course the best form of defense is attack. The USA has been doing it for decades. :shock:

Let's hope Noooocastle surprises us. I've learned that when you pick a side/team, you have to stick with them thick or thin. Pain will eventually fade away to rainbows, or some good post match he he? :D Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm sure that both India and Pakistan have national football teams, but their main craze is cricket. Another good hand down from the Brits.
I've been to India a few times and if there's a test series between England and India at the time, it's amazing. More than 100,000 people packed into the ground in Calcutta. Similar numbers all over the sub-continent as well. And that dosn't take into account the millions that are watching on TV. It's mad!!!
A good friend of mine was responsible for bringing over the Afghani cricket team to England a couple of years ago. Ok, they didn't play a full international, but they certainly did compete with a few county sides. I don't know how they fared, but I remember telling my friend that it was better the Afghanis play cricket, rather than polo. (I seem to remember that the Afghanis used to play that game on horseback with a severed head as the ball). Nice game, eh?
Anyway, I sincerely hope we don't have to explain the finer points of cricket to you, Pete. It'll just take too long. Imagine sitting in the sunshine with as much beer or cider as you can drink, eating a bit of grub, falling asleep and then periodically waking up and clapping when a shot is made. It's really quick stuff, cricket, especially when it's played over 5 days!!!
A great game. Chess is easier. I'll leave the sub-continent to their own devices. I'm pretty sure football dosn't figure too highly on their list of priorities.
Bring on IKTS. It's only a month or so away :thumb:

PS, I digressed - apologies. Didn't Vietnam win the Asain Cup last time round? I seem to remember that they usually beat Thailand. Maybe that was longer ago than I think, but certainly within the past 9 years.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's getting late and I can't find individual match history. Here's the link for the overall Cup history.

http://www.napit.co.uk/viewus/infobank/ ... iancup.php

Also, here's the link with all the fixtures and results updated daily for this year.

http://www.afcasiancup.com/en/tournament/fixtures.asp

Pete :cheers:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

footie

Post by redzonerocker »

bit of researching shows that both india & pakistan have national football teams.
they both play in the south asia gold cup with, maldives, nepal, afghanistan,sri lanka, bangladesh & bhutan ( some cracking games there! :shock: )
its been running since 1993 (every 2 years),currently india are the holders having beaten bangladesh 2-0 in karachi in the final of 2005.
india have won it 4 times, sri lanka & bangladesh once each.
would have to agree with lomua that cricket is their main sport, they are fanatical cricket followers.
don't think i would volunteer to explain that game to you either pete.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Cannot blame the Thai team for doing so. They simply copied it after watching Champions League and other international European games. Happens all the time, everywhere.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

time wasting

Post by redzonerocker »

that correct roel. extremely frustrating if your team is losing but equally joyous if your team is winning.
i do get a little pissed off when they take it into the corner flag area, my team or not.
PeteC

Re: time wasting

Post by PeteC »

redzonerocker wrote:that correct roel. extremely frustrating if your team is losing but equally joyous if your team is winning.
i do get a little pissed off when they take it into the corner flag area, my team or not.
That's exactly what happened in the Thai-Oman game last night.

Yes, as a small comparison, NFL players kneel down to stop the play and keep possession towards the end of the game or half, but only within about 1 minute of the end, not 5-6 minutes like the Thailand did.

Last year we were talking 'rule changes' for football. I think the major debate was to eliminate penalty kicks as the determining factor in any game, play o/t until someone scores.

Perhaps to that we should add if a side does what Thailand did last night for more than 2 minutes, they lose possession? :idea:

Another :idea: , how about widening the goal mouth by 1/2 meter to promote more scoring? Pete :cheers:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

extra time

Post by redzonerocker »

i agree with the abolition of penalties, but then i'm biased being english cos we never win any :( .
my choice of replacing the pen shootout would be to continue playing after the 30 min extra time period but reducing the team numbers by 2 every 5 mins.it wouldnt even take as long as a pen shootout & would be a lot fairer.
add to that, no substitutions in the last 5 mins of any game. theres nothing worse than stopping in the 3rd min of added time to allow a sub on who isnt even likely to touch the ball anyway (another irritating timewasting tactic).
as for players going down feigning injury, the refs should just play on. the offending player will soon get up when he realises the game won't be stopped.
not keen on the idea of widening the goal though pete, i think theyre big enough, though it was muted at one time in the not to distant past.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I think FIFA and anybody else should leave the game as it is to be honest.

Penalties are fair enough if the 2 sides cant be seperated after 120 mins of normal play.
(+ Liverpool always win them :D )