Buying a new smart TV

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a new smart TV

Post by Nereus »

And if you are like me: vot the f**** is OLED/QLED:

https://www.techradar.com/news/oled-vs-qled

OLED vs QLED: Which TV tech is the best?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Most non-smart TVs come from lesser-known brands, such as Insignia and Sceptre.
Bigger brands still make non-smart TVs — but you may have to pay more for them. For instance, we saw a 55" Samsung 4K non-smart TV going for $625; compare that to another 55" 4K non-smart set we saw, a Sceptre model going for just $368. The Samsung set was also a commercial-grade TV, so it may include features you don't want or need.

Considering you can find plenty of smart sets for less than what that Samsung TV cost, this feels like you're paying a premium to receive less. But if you want a quality set and don't want to worry about security risks, getting the best non-smart TV you can find might be the way to go.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Also, with a smart wifi enabled tv, be very careful when surfing NSFW websites, you could accidentally hit the 'cast to tv' icon on your smart phone and let everyone know what you're looking at.. :twisted:
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Some good info here, thanks. LGs are definitely out due to bad previous experiences with two of them (fried boards and LED strips, cranky software), and so are Sonys, Samsungs, and Panasonics due to software restrictions. Seriously considering an OLED or QLED panel now though ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

VincentD wrote:Also, with a smart wifi enabled tv, be very careful when surfing NSFW websites, you could accidentally hit the 'cast to tv' icon on your smart phone and let everyone know what you're looking at.. :twisted:
Image A couple of weeks ago we stayed in a hotel with smart TVs (HiSense 32" - very slow Android TV response) in the rooms. When I went to cast something to the TV my phone asked which TV. There were several in range and I had to guess which one was ours.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:45 am and so are Sonys, Samsungs, and Panasonics due to software restrictions. Seriously considering an OLED or QLED panel now though ...
We're likely in the market for a new Smart TV in the coming months and have previously stuck with Samsung - my mother purchased a Panasonic +/- 18 months ago. Both having superb pictures.

Out of interest though, what software/Apps are you wanting to/considering adding that don't come as a standard or via updates? Can't say I've ever looked further than what's provided - though that's simply down to me not being knowledgeable on the subject. Something else for me to look out for perhaps.....

[EDIT] One bizzare point with my 6-7 year old Samsung is that when left in standby, it occasionally switches itself on - I'm told this is due to some link with my Samsung Smart Phone...... Though I've been unable to resolve that one other than switching off at the mains of course!! :thumb: :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It should be noted that afaik OLED/QLED has nothing to do with 'smart'. It's a new picture technology. We've gone from Plasma through LCD, LED etc and now to OLED/QLED

It's a picture quality and I must say it to be excellent.
bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

almost of the panels in tvs today are either LG or Samsung, or some real crap chinese knock off ones
some of the cheaper brands use tier 2 panels which can be old techology,and can be missing a lot of the picture processing technology or surplus to current requirements for the bigger brands
you will find failures with all brands but less in the better brands , with hopefully an easier service experience
the tvs with lg panels are a little truer to colour, the samsung panels can be almost in your face , unatural colour, very hard to get accurate skin tones right, but thats what some people want.... instant bling.....its quite interesting taking over the remote control of a tv in a store, eg home pro,
once you re set it to anywhere near normal it looks like something you could actually watch
and dont be fooled by the "latest technology'"being any better
an older well respected well reviewed model will be at least as good in some cases better
at quite significant savings
choose a few models that do interest you, search priceza at you should get a good deal
late last year i bought a sony oled a 2019/2020 model, for less than 50 k
it will see me out and the picture is sublime
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have to say my biggest failure was with Samsung. Because of that I'll stay clear of Samsung. I'm very pleased with LG and my TCL (Chinese Cheapy) is still going strong after several years and never had any problem with it.
bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

im sure there are many happy ? samsung customers out there,
some people couldn't give a rats if the greens were blue and the reds,,,,
On all tvs you can take them from their default setting and increase the brightness, contrast , colour saturation etc
to suit your preference
the ones that are so wacked out of balance to start with you cant
you can try, but usually on the cheapies when you start reducing the over compensated colours etc
the picture becomes washed out and horrible to look at
its all to do with the processor
at least on the sonys, and lg's they do use their own in house processors, which in most part are quite impressive and can be realistic
i had years back a samsung plasma, for 2 weeks, that was enough.
the replacements,i had back then were a sharp, very good ,and a panasonic, arguably the best mid priced plasmas of the day, the colours etc on those were so much nicer
most reports about tcl are quite good, i think out of all the cheaper sets they are most likely the better one, but if you can afford the next peg up, its worth it, especially if its a long term enjoyment investment for not a lot more
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

To some extent it’s what you are used to - I have a 55” LG with a LED screen bought just under 3 years ago. I m not sure that I’ve ever watched anything on an OLED/QLED screen other than maybe walking past a display TV, but I’m more than happy with the picture quality of my LED TV and in no way feel the need to upgrade it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigston
Guru
Guru

Post by bigston »

Correct Dannie, one never has 2 tvs side by side to compare at home and if the picture looks good to you then everyones happy
its only if you are in the market for a new one then these things are to be measured for consideration
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have to agree. I was suitable impressed with my picture until I saw a TV of similar size at my local. OLED/QLED! I wish I'd never seen it.

But I'll live with it for now.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

bigston wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 pm i had years back a samsung plasma, for 2 weeks, that was enough.
Plasma TV's were overpriced, heavy and dire - why pick up on Samsung as a maker in general? Plasma TV's also c*ck all to do with Smart TV's of today.

Another point to mention I guess is screen size - personally I don't see the need for anything larger than +/- 50", but each to their own. Costs and picture quality must be effected on larger sizes - especially the likes of 85" for example.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:54 am
bigston wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:52 pm i had years back a samsung plasma, for 2 weeks, that was enough.
Plasma TV's were overpriced, heavy and dire - why pick up on Samsung as a maker in general? Plasma TV's also c*ck all to do with Smart TV's of today.

Another point to mention I guess is screen size - personally I don't see the need for anything larger than +/- 50", but each to their own. Costs and picture quality must be effected on larger sizes - especially the likes of 85" for example.

Especially in most Thai dwellings, where the living rooms are built like hallways and you can't get far enough away from the TV to see the whole screen.

When our landlady replaced the broken 32" with a 55" it felt intrusive but my wife likes it and I rarely watch it so I don't complain.