Menu/food prices rising in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Menu/food prices rising in Bangkok and Thailand

Post by joelle »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:39 pm
joelle wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:26 pm The following has been posted on Facebook but I haven't verified if the prices are correct, sounds a very big increase
Quote :
《Hi All quick note due to the massive increase of the price of pork Chicken Tomatoes etc
Pork Loin which we make our Bacon & Canadian Bacon with has risen from 2 weeks ago from 139b Kg to now 219b kg
Chicken Breasts Legs etc from 39b to 79b
Tomatoes from 39b to 79b and so on

Sorry to say until everything goes back to normal if at all we have raised or prices a little.
Nothing drastic just to cover some of the price increases of everything now.
Our Menu is Still good value for your money All Home made food what else.
Sunday Roasts will still stay the same at the moment Pork/Chicken 160b Lamb & Beef 249b》
Where is this Joelle?
Didn't know I was allowed to mention the name of the restaurant?
Oh well it's "Route 88 Deli" Hua Hin
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But there's no shortage of chicken which has been confirmed by the authorities. Only pork. Chicken feed has gone up a little but not enough to warrant large price increases.

I would hope the government is true to it's word when they say they will take legal action against vendors hiking prices. But TIT.

Just returned from Makro and I didn't notice any difference in chicken prices.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:21 pm But there's no shortage of chicken which has been confirmed by the authorities. Only pork. Chicken feed has gone up a little but not enough to warrant large price increases.

I would hope the government is true to it's word when they say they will take legal action against vendors hiking prices. But TIT.

Just returned from Makro and I didn't notice any difference in chicken prices.
Well I don’t know what you buy, but chicken breasts with skin on were 76 Baht a kilo whereas a couple of months ago they were 50 or less - still cheap I know, but the price has definitely increased
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You could be right. We tend to buy a lot of chicken breast, skin off, and my daughter said the price was similar to what we've always paid.
Personally, I never look at prices of food so I'd be oblivious to any rises. Just going shopping is a big enough chore for me without adding to it!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Maybe the rise in chicken price is opportunistic. Other prices are rising so retailers figure it's a good time to increase margins.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A few months ago there was a big shortage of chicken, at least in Bangkok. Even now, some supermarkets are still short of stock.

Two chicken plants in Korat sealed off, workers infected
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-infected

Major Covid outbreak closes Saraburi chicken plant
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... cken-plant

Thailand’s chicken industry suffering from lack of migrant workers
https://thethaiger.com/news/business/th ... nt-workers

Poultry plant in Thailand’s Phetchabun closed after 1,600 workers infected with COVID-19
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/poultry-pl ... -covid-19/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Choose dog meat, too many dogs, a lot of cheap meat available.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Popularity of crocodile meat rises among Thai consumers as pork prices surge

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/popularity ... ces-surge/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hashtag trends on Thai twitter over rising commodity prices
Thai internet users took to social media on Thursday to express their frustration following the government’s mismanagement over skyrocketing living expenses.

The Thai authorities have recently just confirmed the first case of African swine fever (ASF), a viral disease affecting pigs, which has sparked a jump in pork price. The opposition parties and consumer groups have accused the government of a cover up.

The Twitter hashtag #แพงทั้งแผ่นดิน (expensive throughout the land) is being used to highlight the struggles of Thai citizens and point out the government’s missteps.

“Thailand was the world’s largest rice exporter. We were the world’s third largest seafood exporter. Today, the price keeps skyrocketing, but the state has never given any care. Is it because it’s not an important person’s main business?,” one netizen wrote on his account.

“Thailand will rise only because it’s an agricultural nation, but this time it will collapse because of dictatorship and nefarious capital.”

https://www.thaienquirer.com/36483/hash ... ty-prices/

Meanwhile, the junta is spending billions on warplanes ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

How can they announce the FIRST case of AFS and expect to be believed. Vietnam found AFS in a shipment of live pigs from Thailand back in May of last year prompting them to ban imports.
Vietnam bans import of live pigs from Thailand due to ASF

On May 28, 2021, Vietnam Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Phung Duc Tien, announced the suspension of imports of live pigs from Thailand following the detection of African swine fever (ASF) in a batch of 980 imported live pigs from Thailand.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Here is a photo of a Thai government official's face.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We don’t eat out very often, but friends of ours who do say that as well as many restaurants increasing the prices, some are reducing the portion size and no doubt, some are doing both. I don’t see this as a big issue, because at the end of the day it’s their livelihood and then can only remain in business if they make a profit and I doubt they’re making much of that anyway.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We could have a entire thread about the technique of reducing portion size with everything from size and count of Kleenex tissues to mayonnaise where the weight/volume has been reduced over the years, cracker and cookie quantity per box, the size of a bar of soap....on and on, just about any product you can find on supermarket shelves. The prices stay the same, or even creeps up. On paper they probably look like heroes in terms of government tracked inflation. :banghead:

I guess they think they're slick and no one will notice. Everyone notices.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's a strange one. 18 photos just published by the Bangkok Post showing pork in various stages of processing. :shock:

Hard times

Pork vendors are struggling to keep customers, with prices soaring from 150 baht per kilogramme to over 200 baht/kg in just two weeks. At Bangkok Noi and Bang Khae wet markets in Bangkok, vendors express their dismay and growing concern. A vendor says prices are high at pig farms and slaughterhouses. Normally, he orders seven whole pigs each day and sells out. Now, it is difficult to sell even one, because his customers are choosing to buy cheaper meat, like chicken. (Photos by Jetjaras Na Ranong)
16:06

https://www.bangkokpost.com/photo/2247567/hard-times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

By choosing what and what not to buy, the customers are in control of the economy. Unfortunately, they don't know that and blame everyone and everything for their situation.