European Super League football

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: European Super League football

Post by caller »

arcadianagain wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:13 pmbut what of Chelsea fans, they have supported their owner because of the money he has pumped into the club. Do they still support him in this venture.
I think it's an easy answer as I doubt there is a football fan anywhere in the UK that supports these proposals.

The reaction of the fans of the 6 isn't what was predicted by the new league, judging by information secured from the new leagues website, as reported by the Guardian.

Matthew Syed of The Times, writing on Sunday, implied that some clubs are more enthusiastic than others and for some, joining was a fear of 'missing out'.

Personally, I was surprised Chelsea were involved. Abramovich has done more than just pump money into the club. His involvement is deeper than that and he always seems to 'get' what fans are all about.

The Guardian are reporting that Chelsea and Man City,, seemingly not the most enthusiastic, are already wavering and it appears from some reports that the whole way the new league was announced was not in accord with the original plans and certainly hadn't been agreed by all. I can't think of how the ESL could have managed it any more badly.
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Lost wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:41 pm
caller wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 pm
Besides, how can Arsenal and the spuds be included in a super league?
Not sure why the Arse are there, but spuds have got the best football stadium in the world to host such events. So we get an invitation because of that... not because of the quality of our football. :D

First promotional trailer released.

But of course Spuds have been included, not only because of their stadium but because of all the trophies they have won in their illustrious history. This is a made for television idea and will be popular in China and the far east. I suspect local fans will be priced out so stadiums, super duper or not, will be empty.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Chelsea and city lookif they are going to pull out of the super league, Liverpool are rumoured to be pulling out as well.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:23 am Chelsea and city lookif they are going to pull out of the super league, Liverpool are rumoured to be pulling out as well.
Nothing like shooting yourself in the foot, but as reports mention - it's the owners not the clubs or players who should be penalised....... That said, the overpaid, whinging, schoolgirls... Oh, I'll stop, sorry :oops:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's all beginning to look that they were just trying it on to see what reaction there would be.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:23 am It's all beginning to look that they were just trying it on to see what reaction there would be.
Which is what was being speculated front the first moment it was announced - simply a bad attempt at trying to increase their leverage with UEFA to get a better deal.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

According to John Barnes on tv today nothing has really changed, the money and power is still with the elite clubs, FIFA and UEFA. He advocates a salary cap, how would that work? There will always be creative accounting to keep the status quo.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

All the UK sides have left the super league.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm All the UK sides have left the super league.
And reportedly being fined £8 Million each (and possibly far more to come) for breaking contracts. I'd seen each of them had signed 23 year long contracts... Which seems outlandish(?)

:cheers: :cheers:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:33 am
lindosfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 pm All the UK sides have left the super league.
And reportedly being fined £8 Million each (and possibly far more to come) for breaking contracts. I'd seen each of them had signed 23 year long contracts... Which seems outlandish(?)

I think the contracts were for 3 years. :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 amI think the contracts were for 3 years. :D
Which would make just slightly more sense... I have a feeling it was in the Daily Fail, so I shall stand in the corner and hang my head in shame..... :oops:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Insincere groveling little fcukcwit
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:56 amI think the contracts were for 3 years. :D
Having looked further, there are actually quite a few sources stating clubs had signed a 23 year contract and not able to leave within the first 3 years.... :shock:

An example: - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 5acec3f0d7

Quoted by the Mail: -

"The Big Six could also be forced to pay compensation to the six other European founding clubs for breaking a clause in the ESL’s 23-year contract which stated they could not leave for the first three years. But given the competition’s swift spectacular implosion, it is unclear whether the clause will be enforced. "

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Everyone is already moving on. 9 clubs are now out and the ESL is no more.

I'm not quite sure who can claim damages from whom? I suspect that even the bank involved will just want to move on quietly.

The new Champions League format devised cy EUFA and approved by football administrators even has provision for the inclusion of up to 4 clubs who haven't actually qualified, to still take part, based on their history in the tournament.

So let's say Everton miss out by one place and Liverpool finish one place further back, Liverpool could still qualify. That should be well received in Scouseland. I don't know the exact details, but that's the basic principle.
Talk is cheap
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 pm
Having looked further, there are actually quite a few sources stating clubs had signed a 23 year contract and not able to leave within the first 3 years.... :shock:

An example: - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... 5acec3f0d7

Quoted by the Mail: -

"The Big Six could also be forced to pay compensation to the six other European founding clubs for breaking a clause in the ESL’s 23-year contract which stated they could not leave for the first three years. But given the competition’s swift spectacular implosion, it is unclear whether the clause will be enforced. "

You are right, :oops: they cannot leave for 3 years. 23 years is a strange length of contract though.