Keto diet and low carb eating

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Keto Diet

Post by Ratsima »

MaxHead wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 am
Ratsima wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 am I'm sorry, what she actually said was: ไม่มีแป้งหรือน้ำตาล (No flour or sugar.)
Where is this coffee shop?
Korat.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting, coupled with regular workouts, since I got to Thailand last Halloween. I lost 34 pounds (15.4 kg) by mid-March. It works great and there are no dietary restrictions, other than the 16 hours of fasting. It’s brutal at first, but now 22 hours are a breeze.

With that said, I’m kinda looking to mix it up a little and see what Keto can do, as far as a feeling of well-being. Just curious and a little bored. I’m wishing to start my Keto days with a serving of bulletproof coffee in the morning. This entails mixing coffee with clarified butter (or ghee) and a dose of MCT oil. Has anyone on the keto diet found a place that sells bottles of MCT? Coconut oil won’t cut it.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:15 pm I’ve been doing intermittent fasting, coupled with regular workouts, since I got to Thailand last Halloween. I lost 34 pounds (15.4 kg) by mid-March. It works great and there are no dietary restrictions, other than the 16 hours of fasting. It’s brutal at first, but now 22 hours are a breeze.

With that said, I’m kinda looking to mix it up a little and see what Keto can do, as far as a feeling of well-being. Just curious and a little bored. I’m wishing to start my Keto days with a serving of bulletproof coffee in the morning. This entails mixing coffee with clarified butter (or ghee) and a dose of MCT oil. Has anyone on the keto diet found a place that sells bottles of MCT? Coconut oil won’t cut it.
goodkarma.com They're an online store, located in Chiang Rai. Free shipping over 1500 bht. Very interesting products. Not you're usual health food store stuff. They can be a bit pricey but the quality is superior to any other sources I've found. Food, herbs, teas, oils, etc. Nice people to deal with.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:21 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:15 pm I’ve been doing intermittent fasting, coupled with regular workouts, since I got to Thailand last Halloween. I lost 34 pounds (15.4 kg) by mid-March. It works great and there are no dietary restrictions, other than the 16 hours of fasting. It’s brutal at first, but now 22 hours are a breeze.

goodkarma.com They're an online store, located in Chiang Rai. Free shipping over 1500 bht. Very interesting products. Not you're usual health food store stuff. They can be a bit pricey but the quality is superior to any other sources I've found. Food, herbs, teas, oils, etc. Nice people to deal with.
Sounds interesting. I will definitely check them out. Thanks.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Jack_Batty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:32 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:21 pm

Sounds interesting. I will definitely check them out. Thanks.
forgot to mention, they carry Keto foods like quinoa pastas and ramen. Check out all their categories.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thinking of starting on Keto in January. Lockdown has not been kind and I've developed a belly which I'd largely attribute to beer so that'll be the first thing to cut down on.

From what I've read, the Keto diet involves eating a lot of meat - however, I'm not a massive meat eater anyway and would prefer something more veggie-based. Any ideas on something that'll get rid of the belly and help me drop 5-6kgs? My target is getting back to around 73-75kgs.

I already exercise but it clearly isn't enough and I have been drinking a lot more during the lockdown despite everything still being closed here (thats probably why!) :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d start with the beer reduction and see what affect that has on your weight - most of us know what our weakness’s are, it’s just a case of a bit of willpower to avoid the excess’s. If you’re doing regular exercise it shouldn’t require too much change to see an impact.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm a big fan of Keto. As some (many) know, I lost 26 kg on Keto (106 down to 80 kgs) although I did eat meat. It's all about carb intake. I checked the number of carbs in food before eating. If you can stay below 50 gms of carbs a day (less if possible), combined with some daily exercise you will lose weight. You'll lose weight quickly to start with.
You'll know when you're in ketosis because your mouth becomes very dry prompting you to drink lots of water which is good. Unlike other diets, you can't have 'cheat' days. If you do, it'll take a few days to get back into ketosis.
Google's very good for research into what to eat and what to avoid.

Good Luck.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just as a PS to my last.
I never went into Keto to lose weight. My blood sugar was high (pre-diabetes) and Keto being a low carb diet is aimed at reducing blood sugar. It certainly worked and brought my blood sugar down to 95. It was after a couple of weeks that I noticed I was losing weight. An added bonus which was most welcome so I kept at it for a full 3 months. So glad I did.

The big no-no's are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, milk (except in moderation) and any other high carb foods. Beef, pork, chicken, seafood, cheese and most green veg is fine. I realised that I didn't miss these high carb foods.
Spirits are zero carb but mixers aren't so my gin and tonic changed to a gin and soda.

I even use erythritol instead of sugar. More expensive but can be used just the same as sugar and you wouldn't notice.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:41 pm Just as a PS to my last.
I never went into Keto to lose weight. My blood sugar was high (pre-diabetes) and Keto being a low carb diet is aimed at reducing blood sugar. It certainly worked and brought my blood sugar down to 95. It was after a couple of weeks that I noticed I was losing weight. An added bonus which was most welcome so I kept at it for a full 3 months. So glad I did.

The big no-no's are bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, milk (except in moderation) and any other high carb foods. Beef, pork, chicken, seafood, cheese and most green veg is fine. I realised that I didn't miss these high carb foods.
Spirits are zero carb but mixers aren't so my gin and tonic changed to a gin and soda.

I even use erythritol instead of sugar. More expensive but can be used just the same as sugar and you wouldn't notice.
You can also use Xylitol. Just like sugar. It's usually made from the bark of birch trees, though they do use other trees.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I does appear that erythritol has a slight edge on xylitol but only marginaly:
Which is better for you xylitol or erythritol?

So, which one is healthier? A study in Caries Research found that erythritol might be better for tooth health than xylitol. And compared to xylitol, erythritol can be fully absorbed by our bodies, causing less digestive distress. Plus, erythritol doesn't raise blood sugar at all, while xylitol has a small impact.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll try severely cutting down the beer and carbs first - if there's no noticeable difference by the end of Jan, I'll go full Keto.

I used to do the detox week and they work well - not really bothered about dropping weight, just want to be rid of the belly.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I first heard about the Keto diet in the early '70s. I forget the name of it at that time but it was promoted by Dr. Irwin Stillman. I did it for 30 days and lost 20 lbs. (9,0909090909 Kilos) At that time it was basically protein 3 times a day and at least 8 cups of water a day. I would have a protein drink for breakfast & some kind of dead animal for lunch and supper.

Stillman was a real character. He appeared several times on the Johnny Carson show. Great entertainment.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You shouldn't aim for too much protein on a keto diet. Excess protein will turn into glucose which will knock you out of ketosis. Also excess protein can lead to other problems. The main aim of Keto is eating 'healthy' fats and no more than 50 gms of carbs (less is better)

Good luck with your diet Buksi, but shouldn't you wait till after Christmas!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:32 pm Good luck with your diet Buksi, but shouldn't you wait till after Christmas!!
Oh absolutely, this wont start until the New Year ... now I'm going for a beer. :cheers: