Household water pumps

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Household water pumps

Post by handdrummer »

The past 2 weeks my pump has been going on and off if I don't open the water tap completely and if the tap is at the other end of the house it goes off and on regardless of whether or not I open the tap completely. Is there something I can adjust or should I call my landlady and ask her to send a plumber rather than make a mess myself?
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm The past 2 weeks my pump has been going on and off if I don't open the water tap completely and if the tap is at the other end of the house it goes off and on regardless of whether or not I open the tap completely. Is there something I can adjust or should I call my landlady and ask her to send a plumber rather than make a mess myself?
I would undo the large plastic screw at the top to bleed it. If that does not work call the landlady but don’t admit you touched it!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That's normal. The pump is designed to maintain a set pressure. If the outflow (taps, toilets etc) doesn't diminish the pressure to a point where the pump has to stay on to maintain it, then it will switch on when necessary.
In my house if a toilet is flushed, then the pump will operate intermittently until the demand ceases. One open tap will not cause the pump to operate continuously, but if I open 2 or 3 sprinklers then it will. It's all about 'supply and demand'. If the demand is low then the pump will meet that demand as necessary.

If you want it to operate continuously when you turn on a tap, then adjust the pressure switch (a small screw on the top of the switch)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dundrillin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:16 pm The past 2 weeks my pump has been going on and off if I don't open the water tap completely and if the tap is at the other end of the house it goes off and on regardless of whether or not I open the tap completely. Is there something I can adjust or should I call my landlady and ask her to send a plumber rather than make a mess myself?
I would undo the large plastic screw at the top to bleed it. If that does not work call the landlady but don’t admit you touched it!
Thank you i'll try that.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:22 am That's normal. The pump is designed to maintain a set pressure. If the outflow (taps, toilets etc) doesn't diminish the pressure to a point where the pump has to stay on to maintain it, then it will switch on when necessary.
In my house if a toilet is flushed, then the pump will operate intermittently until the demand ceases. One open tap will not cause the pump to operate continuously, but if I open 2 or 3 sprinklers then it will. It's all about 'supply and demand'. If the demand is low then the pump will meet that demand as necessary.

If you want it to operate continuously when you turn on a tap, then adjust the pressure switch (a small screw on the top of the switch)
Thank you, I'll try that 2nd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

That's normal.
I think that the OP is being misunderstood. He wrote that the last couple of weeks this has been happening. I assume that previously it has worked ok?

It is more likely to be that the tank is flooded and it no longer has an air cushion as I have posted on this thread.
Pull the plug out and somewhere around the bottom of the small tank there should be a plastic bung(maybe more than one)that can be unscrewed. Take it out and drain all the water out. After replacing the bung and plugging it back in it "should" prime itself and run until the pressure set point stops it.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We've all been waiting with baited breath for you to come onboard, Nereus!!! Once again, I'm sure you're right.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:04 am
That's normal.
I think that the OP is being misunderstood. He wrote that the last couple of weeks this has been happening. I assume that previously it has worked ok?

It is more likely to be that the tank is flooded and it no longer has an air cushion as I have posted on this thread.
Pull the plug out and somewhere around the bottom of the small tank there should be a plastic bung(maybe more than one)that can be unscrewed. Take it out and drain all the water out. After replacing the bung and plugging it back in it "should" prime itself and run until the pressure set point stops it.
Yes, prior to that it worked ok.
Could you translate "bung" into Americanese?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Could you translate "bung" into Americanese?
In this context a "bung" is a screw in plug.

BUT, be aware that this pump has lethal voltages, combined with water and if you do not know what you are doing better to pay somebody to look at it.

There are several other things that could cause a similar fault, but that which I have posted is the most likely.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I recall that you said to unplug the pump. I'll do that before attempting to remove the bung. Thanks.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:34 am I recall that you said to unplug the pump. I'll do that before attempting to remove the bung. Thanks.
Yes, that is correct. Drain what ever pressure there is in the system by opening a tap somewhere after you pull the electric plug and before removing the bung, as any pressure could cause water to splash into the motor or controls.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:25 am
handdrummer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:34 am I recall that you said to unplug the pump. I'll do that before attempting to remove the bung. Thanks.
Yes, that is correct. Drain what ever pressure there is in the system by opening a tap somewhere after you pull the electric plug and before removing the bung, as any pressure could cause water to splash into the motor or controls.
Got it, thanks again.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Turns out that the pump is bungless. The only knob that can be turned sits on top. I opened it, there was some water visible, I closed it. Same lack of pressure. I'll call the landlady and she can send of those fly-by-night "plumbers" to hum and haw over it.