The Cheese Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Cheese in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

I found the prices at AP much better than Macro, bought 3 different cheeses - they must have at least 10 different types.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

AP's variety of cheeses varies from week to week but, as mentioned, there is generally quite a few to choose from
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

AP Shop do have a very good deal on MAINLAND NZ Cheddar - Vintage style long aged,
I bought today 500g for 169bht whereas the 200g size at Makro was around 180bht - just for info
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PET wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:52 pm AP Shop do have a very good deal on MAINLAND NZ Cheddar - Vintage style long aged,
I bought today 500g for 169bht whereas the 200g size at Makro was around 180bht - just for info
Ah, as I posted previously, that is the only cheese that I occasionally buy. I have never seen it in a 500 gm pack,
only 250 gm. Last week in the BigC that I use in Bangkok it was 179 Baht for 250 gm, this week the same pack was 189 Baht.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A small guide to how and when various places discount their cheese... AKA the story of the yellow label.

HOW TO SNAG DISCOUNTED GOODIES AT SUPERMARKETS (AND FIGHT FOOD WASTE)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/shop ... food-waste
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The thought came to me if some of the shops listed in this thread by various posters may be buying discounted cheese themselves from the larger places listed in the Khaosod article, and then selling them on. Does anyone check the expiration dates on cheeses from the small shops listed?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Nereus wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:27 pm
PET wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:52 pm AP Shop do have a very good deal on MAINLAND NZ Cheddar - Vintage style long aged,
Ah, as I posted previously, that is the only cheese that I occasionally buy. I have never seen it in a 500 gm pack,
only 250 gm. Last week in the BigC that I use in Bangkok it was 179 Baht for 250 gm, this week the same pack was 189 Baht.
Yes very cheap, but did you check the reason ? Expiration date less than a week.
Strateg
Novice
Novice

Post by Strateg »

For French and Swiss cheese I recommend Maribelle at soi 94. It is a small shop that can be difficut to find, but drive from Phetkasem over the railroad and approximately 50-100 meter after the restaurant "White Crown" you will find it on the left side. Another place with quality cheese is Say Cheese Guesthouse, Bar and restaurant at soi 74. They have very good and aged dutch cheeses, like Old amsterdam and Gouda.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

For harder cheeses such as cheddar or Romano, shelf life is anywhere from three to six months after the sell by date
If you think about how cheese is made and aged, you might be more apt to believe it's the kind of food that doesn't always go bad after its expiration date. Even if there is a little mold growing, consuming "expired" cheese is perfectly safe — as long as you cut off the mold. Don't let your precious cheddar go to waste ever again.
Cheese is one of those foods where the 'expiration date' is not as important as other foods. Vacuum packed can last up to 8 months after expiry. So don't be too worried about buying cheese close to the expiry date.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is cheese normally tagged with an "expiration date", or a "best by date"?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Cheese is the only food where if it grows mold, they raise the price.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:Is cheese normally tagged with an "expiration date", or a "best by date"?
Just looked at one of my packs and it’s “Best Before”. As others have said, if it’s unopened then a good mature cheddar will last for many months beyond it’s BB date, whereas chess like Stilton will go off a lot quicker - any I have tends not to remain uneaten very long!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:26 am
Yes very cheap, but did you check the reason ? Expiration date less than a week.
I am sure that I did not give my packet of cheese to you, so how do you know the expiration date?

It fact it reads: Packed: 24-07-19, Best before: 19-04-20, Aged up to 24 months.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Nereus wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm
I am sure that I did not give my packet of cheese to you, so how do you know the expiration date?

It fact it reads: Packed: 24-07-19, Best before: 19-04-20, Aged up to 24 months.
After reading so many messages about this shop named AP, I stopped for looking at this famous cheap cheese and in fact 169 Baht for 500 gr. As I checked the expiration date I read Best before 9 Dec 19. The salesman confirmed that this is the reason they sell it so cheap.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Nereus wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

After reading so many messages about this shop named AP, I stopped for looking at this famous cheap cheese and in fact 169 Baht for 500 gr. As I checked the expiration date I read Best before 9 Dec 19. The salesman confirmed that this is the reason they sell it so cheap.
Either way, as posters have stated above, the exp. date on many cheeses means diddlysquat.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.