Thai Word of the Day?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
PeteC

Thai Word of the Day?

Post by PeteC »

If we've done this before, please let me know as I can't find any reference to it.

I see many new posters referencing retirement "soon or in a few years" and, "I need to learn more Thai."

I know this section of the forum already has many references to on-line resources, books and methods. However, perhaps a simple thing like posting a word a day of 'must know' Thai would be helpful to those building up their survival skills, and give them some motivation to check this thread daily?

If we do it I would suggest that we keep it to one or two words a day maximum, and avoid Thai script. Just the Thai word in English with the tone reference, if possible, from the posters reference material. So for those here in LOS, if you see that someone has already posted a word that day, wait about 12 hours or so before you post another.

Good idea or so-so? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

A word a day. That means less than 750 words in two years. Not very useful at that pace. The numerous Thai for beginners books with or without CD's and cassettes and all the online resources (many of them free) offer a better alternative for those who really want to learn.
And by the way not only the people who plan to come and live here in the near future say "I need to learn more Thai". Many of the farangs who have been here for many years keep saying it.

But of course your idea won't hurt anyone, although I would suggest to put a useful phrase or sentence instead of single words on this forum every day. So to start with:

English: That is a very fine product sir that you have on sale here. Although at this very moment I am not considering purchasing this product. I respect your persistence in trying to convince me otherwise but I really have no need for this product right now. It was a pleasure meeting you and I wish you all the best in finding other people who might be interested in buying one of your fine products.

Thai: mai ao khrap

The good thing about this first phrase is that the Thais will understand it whatever tone you use!
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

thai

Post by lindosfan1 »

ROEL
Sud yod krub
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Can you use Thai script for that please lindosfan1???
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

it would be better if you gave the phrase phonetically, as Thai anglicised spelling can be deceptive - there are for example three different ways of spelling Hua Hin on official signs so a guidebook tells me.....

see I thought khrap was pronounced cap or kap not krap.....maybe its Mrs S's bit of fun with me.....?

so that no thanks phrase would be

my ow cap....

.seems to work for me.....

good idea though......
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Thai

Post by lindosfan1 »

Sorry that was the spelling my wife gave to me which would be the Thai way. :cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Sandman67, the Thai word is spelled ครับ
The consonant being our R.
So correctly it would be KHRAP although in every day speech Thais tend to say KHAP. But listen carefully to news readers and announcers on television and you will notice the R-sound.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Pete, I think it's a great idea. :D

OK, obviously, as already shown, there will be some disagreement or pedantry on spelling, so maybe someone well-versed in Thai would like to give a few examples of how we should spell the common sounds?

For instance, I too, would have put mai ao, rather than the anglicised my ow, but I would have written krap, rather than the other spellings given (although I would use ka - don't forget we have ladies on here, too!!!)

Anyone willing to give a quick guide to some common sounds, so the thread is informative, rather than taken up with bickering? :D
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Unfortunately it is not that simple Dawn. The English language is extremely inconsistent with regard to letter-to-sound-correspondence. So in no time we will have best possible transliteration discussions that become more heated than we have seen on Building 7 for instance. Imagine that!

Like a famous writer said (was it D.H. Lawrence, I am not sure): "In English half of the words are not pronounced as they are written and the other half are not written as they are pronounced."
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks the feedback. My idea was simply to give those with litle or noThai language skills a basket full of usefull words/phrases they would need to hit the ground running here. I'm not going to be the only contributor however so it's really up to others.

If someone decides to kick it off, I suggest we use Robertson's Dictionary as the source of the English spelling and tone designation. I believe Robertsons is still the most widly used and available Thai/English source? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Super idea, but I don't have the Robertson's dictionary, my bible here is the Bua Luang Compact dictionary (ISBN: 0-942777-13-1). They have both an English/Thai and Thai/English version. I find that you get used to a certain kind of transliteration and this little pocket book fits in with my idea of what I hear, and how it should be written in Roman script.

One phrase that I find extremely useful, when walking in Hua Hin is:
Mai bai, ka (or kap)

It's used for those well-meaning taxi drivers who take pity on you when you're walking in the blazing sunshine. It's in reply to 'Taxi' or 'I take you taxi' or whatever. Said with a smile they smile back :) , and, I've been told, it's more polite (when referring to a taxi ride) than 'Mai ao'.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Or, showing my total ignorance of the Thai language:
"Mai au. Pom dern". As I'm staggering up the road.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Good start Lomu. Robertson's was just a suggestion but seems your's is using the same English spelling. Anyway, good if you could go back and put the English translation to what you said in Thai to get this thing working properly. For example, what do you say when approached by an Indian tailor...LOL.

Interested to hear from some non-frequent posters if this "one stop shop of simple Thai" is going to be of use to them? Pete :cheers:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Sorry. :oops: I thought I just posted something useful, but I'm a frequent poster, and I can speak a bit of polite Thai. What exactly do you want people to post on here? Questions, or suggested phrases?

VS

PS. Perhaps it should have been 'my by car/cap'. :?
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My mistake.
Pete and VS. My Thai is useless after 10 years. The reply to VS was a throwaway comment based on what I say. It's probably not "good Thai" at all, but I'm understood without being rude - staggering up the street.
I am definitely not the person to translate into English. There are people far more qualified than me to do that.
VS - apologies.
So, "dern" is walk I believe. That was all :thumb:
Pom dern - I walk
Pom dern talay - I/I'm walking the beach etc etc.

Try this out as well for really simple stuff:
http://www.expathuahin.com/language-huahin.php