6 Nations Rugby 2008

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

6 Nations Rugby 2008

Post by Jaime »

It all kicks off again tomorrow with Ireland Vs Italy and then England Vs Wales, followed by Scotland Vs France on Sunday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7220414.stm

Like last year, I live more in hope than expectation for a Wales team which is 'rebuilding' once again! If we win tomorrow though I will be mostly being drunk!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 6 Nations Rugby 2008

Post by redzonerocker »

Jaime wrote:
Like last year, I live more in hope than expectation for a Wales team which is 'rebuilding' once again!
i hope you're not making excuses before the game has even kicked off!! :D
personally, i think it will be a pretty tight game & one that could go either way.
hope i'm wrong though & we give you a right old drubbing :wink: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Well, Twickers is all sold out for Saturday.

Looks like I'll have to watch it at the pub.

Lot's of people expecting a good match!

SJ
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Jamie how many times are you going to have to rebuild before you win again
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was watching Soccer AM this morning, and they had special guest Austin Healy on explaining the virtues of the Egg Chasing game.

He made a very valid point, certainly one that I had never thought of before. He was explaining why the 6 nations competition was so good for the Welsh, Irish and Scottish. He said it was one of the few competions where they could be sure of playing in every round :? :twisted:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

chelsea wrote:Jamie how many times are you going to have to rebuild before you win again
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I was in the Millenium stadium during last season's 6 Nations when Wales comprehensively beat England :D and even though 13 players in the Welsh side play for The Ospreys (*retches*), I think Wales will win today. To do that though, returnees Ryan Jones & Gavin Henson, amongst others need big games. Wales also have a very strong bench, containing 3 Lions.

There I've said it.

Why? On the basis of the Heineken Cup games that most of the welsh team have played in, The Ospreys and The Cardiff Blues have dominated English opposition. The thing is, most of the key players in those sides are neither Welsh nor English (with the exception of the peerless Martyn Williams) so it may be difficult to draw conclusions from them.

Nevertheless, Wales to cause a shock today - they are big underdogs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

P A T H E T I C

At half time I was composing something quite witty in my mind to wind up Jaime and all of the other Welsh Supporters.

What went wrong? It certainly had nothing to do with an improved Welsh side. The team recently relegated to being 2nd best team in the world simply collapsed.

:oops: S P E E C H L E S S :oops:

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I watched that 2nd half in disbelief - we should have been further ahead at half-time and strolling it.

Just a shocker, no plan B, no reaction to events from the coach, players froze, all extremely worrying.

My wife, bless her, tolerated the expletives, thumping of furniture and if our poor moggy hadn't had to be put down last week, he would have stayed well clear as well!

Just a MM performance and as much as I'd like to say really well done to the Welsh (I'm a sore loser), this win came gift wrapped!
Toni

Post by Toni »

Bore da everyone!! Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. How wonderful it was to be at HQ yesterday, to carry the Welsh flag around the field, to line up behind the Welsh players and belt out Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, to watch us reel England in with our game plan of playing a pathetic first half, and then to rejoice in the stands as we unleashed our awesome pace and power to destroy the former World Champs. Let's give the Welsh boys some credit, for once they actually put pressure on the opposition for a sustained period. And as we all know, pressure can lead to panic (Jonny included) and mistakes. And we were clinical, we took our chances. A fully deserved win, made even sweeter as I was there and witness to the utter dejection on the faces of 70 odd thousand England fans, who went missing when their team needed them - unlike the few thousand Welsh fans who were outstanding. A great day, and even being stuck in the traffic around Twickers for 2 hours after the game couldn't spoil it. Can't wait to go to work tomorrow.
:P :P :P :P :P
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Okay! :bow: to the mighty Welsh!

I've lightened up this morning. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Still waiting for the almighty barrage of boasting when the sore heads wear off - 11:27 here in the UK, and most of the Welsh nation must still be in bed suffering - but I bet the suffering is worth it :cheers:

Points 51; Position 21
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

yes...watched it in a pub on Wimbledon common, much enjoyment and beer for all during the first half. I didn't mind the scores closing a bit (I think) 'cos a closer match is more exciting but ...the collapse in the latter part of the game was serious. Credit to the Welsh for staying commited and playing some good rugby towards the end.

Lot of injuries for an opening match....not good for the rest of the tournament.

Regards SJ
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Sabai Jai wrote:yes...watched it in a pub on Wimbledon common
The Rose & Crown by any chance? That's a rugby pub.

Or the Hand in Hand, Crooked Billet, Dog & Fox or Fox & Grapes?

Know them all!
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Big Boy wrote:Still waiting for the almighty barrage of boasting when the sore heads wear off - 11:27 here in the UK, and most of the Welsh nation must still be in bed suffering - but I bet the suffering is worth it :cheers:
Just woken up 12:30!

Well, they say that "Pride comes before a fall"

Apart from the fact that England played worse in the second half than Wales did in the first half (Wales gifted England their lead through a succession of turnovers), the difference between the two teams was our much stronger bench - Gethin Jenkins made a massive impact after coming on out of position at tight head (Andrew who?) and Shanklin transformed the midfield. Both Cardiff Blues players of course!

However, the main difference was a member of this forum being on the pitch and holding the Welsh flag as the anthems were being played! Well done Toni - secret weapon! Great post too! :D

Seriously, as I mentioned in my post above when I stuck my neck out and predicted a Wales win, anyone who has watched the Heineken Cup this season will have seen that both the Blues and the Ospreys have been too physical for English opposition, basically beating them up like naughty children, even in their own back yards.

The number of injuries picked up by England during yesterdays game is testament to the physicality of the Welsh players these days. The only serious injury sustained by a Welsh player was as the result of Wilkinson's swinging arm. Not intentional but a swinging arm nevertheless, which is an illegal tackle. Citing commissioner will have to deal with that for sure - nobody is above the law, even Wilko, who looked a shadow of his former self. Never mind - he could be having an enforced leave of absence now anyway.

It is no good England having a jumbo front five if they blow up after 50 minutes. This has been the pattern at club level all season. Never mind the mistakes behind the pack - the English forwards simply couldn't get the ball in the second half and when they did get it they were put under immense pressure, forcing mistakes at the breakdown as Englands physical and mental fragility came to the fore. Men against boys.

After we tan your arses in cardiff next year it'll be three years in a row in the 6 Nations!

I'm normally above this sort of thing but since I sort of feel it's expected, I'm going to indulge myself:

GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT,GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT,GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT, GLOAT

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Big Boy wrote:What went wrong? It certainly had nothing to do with an improved Welsh side. The team recently relegated to being 2nd best team in the world simply collapsed.
The truth is that, as ever, England have been over hyped. As Paul Ackford wrote in his column today:

"England did not remotely look like the second best team in the world yesterday, echoing the early inadequacies of the World Cup campaign."

I don't think it's Wales who have been papering over cracks the last few months but England.

Give some credit to Wales, they dominated England's much vaunted but basically overblown pack second half. I was a bit(!) drunk by the end of the game but I remember the territory and posession stats being something like 70-30 in Wales favour. That tells it's own story.