Calling all dog owners/vets please can you help

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Jonathanmarktaylor
Novice
Novice

Calling all dog owners/vets please can you help

Post by Jonathanmarktaylor »

Can I bring my Pyrenean Mountain Dog to Hua Hin. I am thinking of moving to HH and I need to know if my Pyrenean Mountian dog will be ok there or if it will be too hot for him. He is only just one year old and I don't want to leave hime in the UK really, but I don't wan thim to suffer if it is the wrong breed to take. Would he need to be in AirCon constantly or would he be able to regulate his own body heat. I would be very grateful for any help yoou can give me. Thanks
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Mr. J (long name),

I'm not a vet and I'm sure that Dawn is more experienced at giving advice about dogs than me, but here's my two-penny-worth.

I don't think that your dog would 'suffer' here, but he may be more comfortable in a slightler cooler climate. If you have a house with air-con I'm sure he'd be moderately happy to loll about in 'normal' temperatures. You could even hose him down, to cool him down, when the temperatures get a bit OTT.

But my personal opinion is that he may be better off if you could find a nice home for him in the UK. Being such a young dog he would easily settle in with a new family.

VS

PS: I saw a St. Bernard dog the other day and he really looked overheated - they're not really suited to these temperatures.
PPS: I've got some Thai puppies that are ready to be re-homed in a couple of weeks, so if you want a lovely dog just let me know...
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Jonathanmarktaylor
Novice
Novice

Thanks VS

Post by Jonathanmarktaylor »

Thanks for your advice. As a matter of interest who is Dawn?
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Me.

I run the local Dog Rescue Center. :) I think I agree with VS. I actually (through sentimental reasons) hate leaving dogs behind, but I do agree that some breeds do suffer in this climate. If you were to spend a lot on electricity keeping fans/aircons on all day, and/or if you were to leave large containers of water around the garden (assuming your dog likes water) for the dog to sit in & cool off, then he'd probably be OK. As VS says, it would take a concentrated effort to think of his comfort, but it is possible. If leaving him with a good new family in UK, he'd probably adapt quicker than you think, though. :)

And no jumping in to rehome pups, VS, I've got more than you!!! ;) :D :P
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!