EURO 2008

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The position England are now in has far more to do with results way back in this group but that penalty decision last night really was a shocker. :shock:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

euros

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:The position England are now in has far more to do with results way back in this group but that penalty decision last night really was a shocker. :shock:
toatlly agree baa baa.
the miss by gerrard, the shocking penalty decision & the poor save/mistake by robinson are the defining points in the game.
russia never really looked like scoring until that pen decision, can't understand how the linesman in his position didnt see it was outside of the box ? :shock:
no excuses though because we had a lucky break with rooneys goal which was offside (same linesman :? ).
the 0-0 draw at home to macedonia looks like its coming back to haunt us :( .
israel away wont be easy for the russians though as they have to win, playing for a draw is not an option.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Come on Yossi Benayoun! :thumb:
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

The recent run of 3-0 victories really papered over the cracks, and in the last game against Estonia we were flattered by the scoreline. Although I am in favour of managers at any level having a settled side, and the old adage about not changing a winning team, International teams are somewhat different in the amount of time between batches of games, so players can easily be red hot in one game but completely off form in their next. McLaren has been unlucky with injuries, but that alone leads me to think he should not be there - you need a 'lucky' manager as much as anything else. His biggest gaffe selection wise has been to persevere with Robinson in goal when there are so many others who are in better form - Robinson has not kept a clean sheet for Spurs since the 2005-2006 season! He has a habit of pushing his saved shots into the danger area rather than away to the sides (did it again last night) and I feel is not giving his defence much confidence.
Although the manager is never entirely to blame, he must carry most of it as he is the one who selects from the best available and puts together the formation and tactics. McLaren Out!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Agree. If we dont qualify at least one good thing will come of it.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Wanderlust wrote: His biggest gaffe selection wise has been to persevere with Robinson in goal when there are so many others who are in better form
have to agree on that one! problem is, he would replace him with james :shock: another gaffe ridden keeper!!
my choice would be rob green.
what was the reasoning behind playing lescott at left back?? :shock: :shock: . ok cole & bridge are injured but there were better options at left back than a centre half making only his 2nd england appearance?
mclaren should never been given the job in the first place in my opinion, though it will not be much consolation getting rid of him & not going to the euro finals :(
who do you think would replace him?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Although he is relatively inexperienced, I think Paul Jewell would be a good shout, but he is not the sort of bloke they will pick if McLaren goes; they are more likely to choose Sammy Lee! They really should have the next one lined up, signed and sealed before sacking or accepting the resignation of SM though, and not have the unseemly scrabbling around that normally happens. As I have said before 'Arry at Portsmouth would be an interesting and entertaining choice as well, but sadly it will never happen with the fools in charge at the FA.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

As a canny Scot, I really can't lose even although our football team did last night :(

Italy at Hampden in the last game - win it and we're through :shock: :D

If France lose in Ukraine :roll: a draw against Italy still puts us through.

Even if we fail to get through, what a fantastic campaign we've had :mrgreen:
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

I know you won't thank me for this, but if I could just mention England and their qualification chances.

As is well documented everywhere, England's destiny is no longer in their own hands and quite rightly all England supporters are now turning Jewish (that might be painful if they take it too far :wink: ) and supporting Israel.

Is it just me or is everyone else missing a small point (see previous paragraph :roll: ) i.e. apart from wanting Israel to do England a turn against Russia, England also have to beat Croatia.

Is this the same Croatia that sit top of the group and unbeaten? With all the doom and gloom surrounding the English team at present, are the England supporters confident of beating Croatia :?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

With a clown like McLaren in charge, what do you think :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

It looks like no British or Irish teams qualify with Scotland having the only realistic chance. England require not only to improve their form but Russia have to go tits up.

I can see a few Brits becoming Rugby and Cricket fans next summer.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Not surprisingly, as on the forum here, conjecture has already started regarding McLaren's position:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Sto ... 11,00.html