HH-Kanchanaburi-Tiger Temple (1-2 days)

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

tigers

Post by redzonerocker »

norseman, maybe you saw just what the average tourist is supposed to see?
i would find it hard to believe that these wild animals would be friendly & tame enough to be able to mix with strangers without having some kind of discipline instilled or possibly a form of sedation. it is probable no doubt that they are possibly more accepting to the monks who feed & take care of them.
the bottom line is they are wild animals & their instinct is hunting & killing.

as for zoos in general, i find them awful places. the worst i visited was leipzig zoo just after the wall came down (about 1991). it was so bad, i was almost physically sick & had to leave after 10 mins.
wildlife parks are more acceptable like longleat. the animals have room to roam about like they are used to.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

You are maybe right RZR, I really don't know.
It's just that this friscodude was far too negative in comparison with my own impression of the site.
Sure I don't love the place, but the alternative is to kill the tigers, which in my view, is not a better option.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Friscodude was not the author. The author was a female volunteer. He just has a widely read blog (I guess like Stickman here in Thailand) which he published her experiences on.

Norseman, my opinion is that tigers are killing machines. I do not mean that in a bad way - I love tigers. Nature has made them evolve into something large, fast & powerful, in order to hunt large prey. Their natural instinct is to avoid us humans, or in the case of a few 'rogue' tigers, kill us. I can just about get my head around the fact that love & care would make a tiger docile to one person - his carer. But all humans? No amount of love & care could remove that amount of natural instinct.

If the monks want to raise the money to make a true tiger sanctuary (as they claim to be doing), that's great, but the tigers should have minimal to no contact with humans to enable that goal. I've been to a gibbon sanctuary in Phuket & a moon bear sanctuary in China, where that was the goal & you were not allowed to touch the animals. The gibbons were confiscated from bars etc & the moon bears were ex bile bears. It was fantastic to see those projects & get involved in a little way, but at no time did we get the opportunity to have a photo cuddling a moon bear :roll: The point (in both cases) was to rehabilitate them & teach them the skills they needed to survive in a (controlled) wild situation.

Oh, just remembered, I've also been to an Orang Utang rehabilitation project in Sarawak - same thing.

I'm with you rzr, hate zoos (& animal circuses with a passion!)
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

My experience was positive.
The tigers looked very healthy. I have photos which confirm this.
I never saw a hoe! The monk had a staff and from memory the helpers had nothing.
They were Not tied by their neck in the quarry. They each had their rock which they laid on and were given a piece of fake skin to chew on. They did have collars.
The cages all seemed very clean to me.
The suggestion that they are drugged is a possibility but a couple of times they got excited when they spotted people moving about 100 meters away. The monk and helpers had to hold them and settle them down.
I never saw anything that resembled spraying anything into their mouths.

In summary I am glad I went and have some great photos but I wont go again.
It is only a matter of time before there is a major accident.
You only live once.
bjarne
Rookie
Rookie

HH-Kanchanaburi-Tiger Temple (1-2 days)

Post by bjarne »

Thank you all for your advice and opinions.
I definitely have to go there to see with own eyes.
I haven't been to a Zoo since Lisbon Zoo in 1973 where I could enjoy various pedigree dogs in cages of about 5 meter2.

I tend to agree a little with those of you with positive impressions from Tiger Temple.
In China the giant panda would be extinct without human interference, the Siberian Tiger likewise.
The question is: how to interfere?
Hopefully some good is coming out of this Tiger Temple "project"

About reporting to Authorities; I have no illusions of being heard, but you hear me, and perhaps, so will others. Thats enough.

Here's an idea: l'll be in HH from Jan 26 and one month on. Why don't we all meet poolside somewhere for a discussion and then hire a bus with destination Tiger Temple?
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Tiger Temple

Post by redzonerocker »

bjarne wrote: I definitely have to go there to see with own eyes.
i agree that this is the only way to experience anything in life but it won't change my opinion that you will only see & experience the tourist viewpoint.
the original report from dawn's posting was made by a volunteer who was able to access areas of the temple not open to the general tourist, highlighting the behind the scenes conditions & methods of control over the tigers.
i'm sure it is a wonderful experience to be so close & to be photographed with these magnificent animals.
for me the report has taken the shine off of what would or could have been a terrific experience.
the final line from ozuncles posting should not be taken lightly.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

With Lev's permission, here is the link to the thread about the Tiger Temple in the other forum I mentioned. It has some good photos on it and some very plain speaking.

http://teakdoor.com/thailands-zoos-and- ... emple.html

And this is a link to someone who organises the tours (it is mentioned in the above thread & the post says that even this guy is not too impressed with the treatment of the animals)

http://www.tigertemplethailand.com
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

tigr temple

Post by redzonerocker »

yes dawn, some nice photos & some detailed information too.
although the tigers look healthy enough,it does confirm what i already thought. this project is really all about money making & not the welfare of the tigers.
i have to agree with the point made in the links & postings here, that there is an accident waiting to happen.