The New Season

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Joni wrote:We just the small town in Europe

C'mon Rovers. Only two weeks, when new season begin. :cheers:
And just qualified for the UEFA cup today, thats a good start! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hallo There Y'all

Err I have a question which has boggled my mind for a long time. Why are most British Football Stadiums are in blocks of along the stadiums and why are there rarely circular Stadias where you can see a Football Game from a Diagonal Point of view.

I would Apreciate an answer greatly!!!

Your's Bundesliga, EPL, Fan
The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

The same reason I had a brick sized, tape playing Walkman and a Commodore 64 as a kid instead of an Ipod and an Xbox360.

Basically because of how old the majority of them are.

Built well before your fancy american style bowls and expanded over the years.

Not much room for expansion in the purpose built domes.

Most of the the new builds are edging towards the american bowl style. ie The Emirates Stadium (Arsenal) The City of Manchester Stadium (Man City)

Obviously the new Anfield is a different monster altogether. http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/vid ... fc-photos/ :thumb:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Understudy, they are different sports. Most footie stadia and many in the UK top 2 flights are new, are designed to keep as many of the punters as possible to as near to the pitch as possible, without being a million miles from the action, as per "bowls" or those with athletic tracks.

Its why the atmosphere is so good and you'd be surprised at how many offer a good viewpoint wherever you sit. Many take into account the history of footie stadia, where the "sides" have stands that are seated (work that one out) whilst the ends have, or had the standing fans - currently outlawed, mainly due to Hillsborough - those usually more boisterous - equate it to the cheap seats in a cinema. These are the kops, stretford ends and Sheds of footie history.

When I go to Stamford Bridge (Chelsea), I still prefer the Shed End, albeit now seated. I stood there as a kid, youth and man in the old stadium.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

BaaBaa,

the new Anfield is a great american sport stadium but a lousy football one. Expect it to be heavily modified (thank goodness).
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

stadia

Post by redzonerocker »

i have been to several stadiums in germany.
leverkusen, dortmund & freiburg (3 sided) all similar to the english design.
munich was the bowl design & probably one of the worst atmospheres i have ever experienced at a football match.
oh for the days of proper football grounds, when you could stand, jump,bounce & join in the swaying & experience of being there with the crowd unlike the regimented nonsense of todays corporate footie society.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was at the one in Genoa a few world cups ago and you didn't even have a seat, you had some kind of bar to rest your butt on. Very vertical place and you were looking almost straight down to the pitch. So uncomfortable you physically didn't feel well at the end of a match.

By the way, what is the name of Genoa's team? Sampadoria (sp)? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

caller wrote:BaaBaa,

the new Anfield is a great american sport stadium but a lousy football one. Expect it to be heavily modified (thank goodness).
When did you visit?

I think it will be superb.

At least they wont have to give the fans free little flags to wave like at Stamford Bridge.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Thank you caller for the extensive explanation of the Stadias lay out in England. And the Historic implications this has.
I think I hafta go to Ol'Blimey and watch an Britsh premier league Game and get the feeling and atmosphere. Overehere in Berlin where we have the Newly revampted Oympic Stadium but the atmosphere is still good despite being devided by Track and Field Tracks.

Your's The understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

BaaBaa. wrote:
caller wrote:BaaBaa,

When did you visit?

I think it will be superb.

At least they wont have to give the fans free little flags to wave like at Stamford Bridge.
I visited the plans!

As a scouser, you won't be privvy to what happens at the Bridge, Scousers are banned - cheapskates! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks JW. No logic or science as to why I adopted Newcastle. :shock: Northeast of England, I grew up in northeast USA, had a Newcastle Pennsylvania near where I lived, have visited Newcastle, Australia, north of Sydney. That's about as close as it gets...LOL.

Their first team seems to be doing OK though in pre-season.

Hartlepool 3-1
Carlisle Utd. 1-1
Celtic 4-1
Juventus 2-0

Hull City and Sampdoria remaining. That's why I asked elsewhere if Sampdoria is Genoa's home team.

I do like what Baa Baa said about them giving boys a chance to show what they have. I did notice a section on their home page about their "academy" and something about 13 of their students/graduates who have made an appearance in the pre-season and done well.

We shall see what we shall see. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

2007 IKTS

Post by PeteC »

Hey BG, IKTS new season seems to be open now.

I had registered before about a month ago, but they changed something and I had to register again. You guys who are already registered from last year better check to see if it will still take your username/password.

All screens show predictions for August 11 matches can now be made. Awaiting for mini league code number. Let the games begin!!! Pete :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Thanks prcscct, I just noticed the same thing. I´ve now registered our league, see the thread about IKTS here in the sports section. :cheers: