The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Lost »

Just noticed Alex Garland's Civil War has hit the shelves. He's fast becoming one of my favourite directors after Ex Machina, Annihilation and Men (the latter may be too weird for some :D ). Not forgetting his books, The Beach and Sunshine.

Sure it'll be another good one.

https://yts.mx/movies/civil-war-2024

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:10 pm Just noticed Alex Garland's Civil War has hit the shelves. He's fast becoming one of my favourite directors after Ex Machina, Annihilation and Men (the latter may be too weird for some :D ). Not forgetting his books, The Beach and Sunshine.

Sure it'll be another good one.

https://yts.mx/movies/civil-war-2024

I should warn, his last story/movie had somewhat of a Lars von Trier tone. Thought it was very niche, but enjoyed it. Before that it was a mixed bag of stuff ('The Beach' was very famous of course set in Thailand, adapted into a movie).

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Memorial day in US where we remember the ones that served in the armed forces. A great movie for the time is Taking Chance. Keep your tissues nearby.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Just a heads up...as I momentarily got excited before realising the impossibility of it.

The Mad Max 'Furiosa' uploaded on yts is a cam copy. Digital release date isn't until early July.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:10 am Just a heads up...as I momentarily got excited before realising the impossibility of it.

The Mad Max 'Furiosa' uploaded on yts is a cam copy. Digital release date isn't until early July.

Yep, I downloaded last night, and have just flicked through after reading your message. Whoever filmed it, did it the same way my wife takes photos - the tops of people's heads missing :laugh:

Will wait in anticipation.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Lost wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:15 pm
You watched Godzilla Minus One yet? (It's Japanese language don't download if you don't do subtitles, folk :D ).

https://yts.mx/movies/godzilla-minus-one-2023

Don't know why as I don't enjoy kaiju, but I downloaded and started to watch it. It's not for me but I thought I'd try again. I skipped through it and it looks an excellent example of the genre. High value production.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

5lbs of Pressure. Life often doesn't have happy endings. I found it moving.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/5lbs_of_pressure
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I just noticed that Linklater's Hit Man' has been on the usual sites for a week.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not seen this mentioned, but just watched "The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare"...

Personally, I really enjoyed it. Set in WW2 and based on the true story of the original "Special Operations Executive" set up by Churchill in July of 1940 - the beginnings of true "Black-ops". The real story of these guys throughout the war (and afterwards) is interesting to say the least, though I've still much to read.

Anywo, to the movie!! A Guy Richie Film, a very decent cast, British "stiff upper lip" and humour with some allied characters in the mix - Anders Lassen for one played by Alan Ritchson (aka "Reacher"), a beast of of man who enjoyed collecting Nazi hearts (literally). Throw in lots of nasty Nazis, plenty of (not over-the-top) wartime violence and what's not to like?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5177120/?r ... ngentleman

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.