Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Lost »

Fk sake reports saying Chelsea's wonderkid Cole Palmer is out injured (edit: 'ill' I think) for the Arsenal game tomorrow. God dammit. :banghead:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I agree with the Forest request, and it has been done before. Whilst they're at it, can they release the one about Grealish as well?

There was an interesting article in The Times yesterday about VAR. Peter Scudamore, ex in charge of the premier league, and Peter Walton, ex premier referee, both seem to have had some input into it's design and the bit about 'clear and obvious' being the main reason for VAR being introduced at all. It was mentioned that what they had in mind, was that VAR would intervene only in such circumstances, and the two examples given, were Henry's handball against the Irish, that knocked Ireland out of thre WC and Maradonnas handball against England, with the same result. Not disallowing a perfecty good goal by the width of a toe nail on Sunday. And no-one else is going to such extreme's as the premier leagur across Europe, where it is used more sparingly and without the long delays regularly seen in premier games.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Good luck tonight, caller! Will be cheering you on. :D

The weekend begins spurs' do or die moment for the season. Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and City in the space of 5 games. :shock:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lot of talk over Tuchel replacing Ten Hag at United. Sky Sports reporting that Ratcliffe has held initial talks with Tuchel about the job.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Tuchels performance at Chelsea the season after becoming European Champions, on a team inherited from Lampard, wasnt good. But it subsequently came to light his personal life had become a mess. He had met someone else and left his wife and kids. On saying that. Bayern have been happy to let him go.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:55 pm I’ve just seen this and couldn’t believe how much Rashford gets paid for not performing - this season in particular he’s been way below his best - can’t imagine any club wanting to match his salary expectations!!

https://www.football365.com/news/man-ut ... ano-sancho
Yup, is gross how much he gets. Recent comments from a legend...

Van Basten: "I saw Rashford play against Coventry. What was this guy doing? It was an unbelievable sight. Didn't make any runs, didn't try anything on the ball, passing every ball he received straight back. He looks like he is playing indoor football with his buddies."
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

This starting eleven, to me, looks so so poor. I expect the Arse to hammer them today but I'll be glad to be proven wrong. May Jackson find his shooting boots and Gallagher be at his very best. 🙏🙏🙏

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 am ... but I'll be glad to be proven wrong.
after 4 minutes, dream on... :roll:
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Entertaining half of football. Arse could be 3 or 4 ahead. Jackson somewhat of a lucky boy to stay on the pitch with a bit of an ankle breaker. Then gets his sitter of the week, bizarrely going for the ball with both his head and his hand. He's still raw, I guess. Looking forward to second half.
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 am
There is still hope! Only a little, but it's there. :mrgreen:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:55 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:06 am
There is still hope! Only a little, but it's there. :mrgreen:
No hope. Gonna be a stroll, 3 or 4 nil.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

What's annoying about this embarrassing display by Chelsea aside from Arse getting the points, is they've not had to push themselves at all, can afford to sub their better players and pretty much relax for the rest...

Was hoping for a more tired Arsenal team come the following London derby.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Strangely, Chelsea had the greater possession but clearly didn’t do anything threatening having just 7 shots with 1 on target, whereas Arsenal had a massive 27 shots with 10 on target.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:13 am This starting eleven, to me, looks so so poor. I expect the Arse to hammer them today but I'll be glad to be proven wrong. May Jackson find his shooting boots and Gallagher be at his very best. 🙏🙏🙏
When I saw the team selection, I went to bed rather than watch the game. But Chelsea fans were letting rip about the selection as soon as it was announced. Especially in respect of the back four. Now, we still have a large number of injuries, especially with Gusto and Chilwell still not being 100% - for the later Pochettino has openly crticised Southgate.

I could go on chapter and verse about other selection options, but you have heard it all before. But yesterday, it all starts by not playing Silva and Chalobah as centre backs. There are also tactical issues, should we have played with a back 3 and packed the midfield, but Poch doesn't do that. Then there is Enzo, who in many respects is like Jorghino, but not as good. Then there is where to play Gallagher, most would prefer to see him where Enzo plays, which he did against everton, meaning Palmer moved infield and look what the result was against Everton.

Anyway, for all his strengths as a manager, Pochettino keeps displaying his weaknesses.

There was an article the other day, comparing Jacksons first season with Drogba's and seemingly he compares favourably. But Drogba scared defenders, Jackson is a powder puff. But the main difference, apart from physique and a willingness to work and get stuck in, is that Drogba was managed by Mourinho at his best, who took Drogba as the raw recruit he was and made him the feared striker he became.

I wonder what yesterdays performance by his team will have on Pochettino's future?
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

He’s probably got a big cheque coming his way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk