Customs cost of international parcel

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
PeteC

Re: Customs cost of international parcel

Post by PeteC »

US Amazon works fine. Been using it for many years. As mentioned, estimated tax and duty charged at the source. If they over charge you get a refund in a few weeks. Never had them ask for more so maybe they absorb that if they make a mistake under charging.

Edit: Have found less hassle if the buyer is a Thai name.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

That could be why I've never used it. The shipping charges and duties outweigh most savings on the item (unless its something you can't buy in Thailand.)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:06 am
Yes the value is as decided by customs. On a privately imported car (don't know if that's still possible) You would get your importing agent to negotiate with the customs office in situ to reduce what they claim. A good/well known international agent represented in Thailand could save you money (even after likely cutting a side deal).
Really? You "don't know if that's still possible", but you are telling us how to do it!
Excuse me, I told you how it was done for car imports. Happy to have cleared that up for you. Value is still decided by customs for other items. :roll:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:53 pm
Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:06 am
Yes the value is as decided by customs. On a privately imported car (don't know if that's still possible) You would get your importing agent to negotiate with the customs office in situ to reduce what they claim. A good/well known international agent represented in Thailand could save you money (even after likely cutting a side deal).
Really? You "don't know if that's still possible", but you are telling us how to do it!
Excuse me, I told you how it was done for car imports. Happy to have cleared that up for you. Value is still decided by customs for other items. :roll:
Instead of rolling your eyes, how about you tell us how and when you did it? I have done it and what you have posted is fantasy!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

[/quote]
Instead of rolling your eyes, how about you tell us how and when you did it? I have done it and what you have posted is fantasy!
[/quote]

No pissing contests here please. I investigated it with my shipping agent 8 years ago before coming to Thailand and found it wasn't feasible because of the customs operation, assessing duty on their own valuation, which might be negotiated downwards.

Have we already answered the original question? Yes. Move on.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

Hello,
Yes answered. Thank you very much for all your suggestions.