The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by buksida »

migrant wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:44 am Not sure why this just came to me but has anyone left their helmet on their bike and came back and it was missing? I've never had a problem but being from Detroit I'm always concerned about leaving things out in the open.
Yes. If you have an expensive lid, lock it to the bike or take it with you.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: The bikers thread; trips, news, chat, all things motorcycle

Post by joelle »

Never ever had a problem and my helmet is not a cheapy
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although I’m sure it does happen, it seems to be a very infrequent event out here - whereas it’s similar in most of the UK to Detroit - if it’s left in the open, chances are very high it’ll be gone by the time you get back.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I always leave the cheap scooter helmets with the bike, but the expensive full-face big bike lid goes where I go!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My comments and experiences are associated with the Honda PCX/Wave type of bike, whose riders tend to have the cheaper range of helmets, but for something upmarket I’d also be reluctant to leave it on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've got a twenty year old half helmet that we got with our first Honda Wave, ( from around 2003 ). I've always used it for going around Hin Lek Fai because it's so easy to plonk it on your head.
A couple of years ago, a new dog we had chewed the chin strap off of it, so as punishment, I cut off a part the dogs lead and got it sewn on to the chin strap to replace the missing part.
It's never been stolen.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Doesn't sound like it'll be much help if you come off though. :duck: I remember the old plastic 'icecream tub' helmets that would break if you stood on one ... they're unlikely to get pinched!

On a different note, after 25 years of living here, I finally rode the back road to Cha-am yesterday - its basically the canal road that goes all the way through so you don't have to go near the hellish Petchkasem at all! A much more relaxing (and safer) ride.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:28 am Doesn't sound like it'll be much help if you come off though. :duck: I remember the old plastic 'icecream tub' helmets that would break if you stood on one ... they're unlikely to get pinched!
You can still get them, 199bt in Lotus!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not really sure what I'm posting here, but I've just seen it advertised, and it looks like bike racing (including some big bikes) on the beach at Suan Son NOW. I thought bikers might be interested.
Gypsy.jpg
Gypsy.jpg (130.39 KiB) Viewed 416 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (148.45 KiB) Viewed 416 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (148.94 KiB) Viewed 416 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 416 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (126.58 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not for 1,200 baht a ticket ... unless that's the entrance fee to race. :naughty:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think that was the race entry. However, I did say I wasn't really sure what I was posting. More info here https://www.facebook.com/gypsycarnivalthailand
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20