HTMS Sukhothai - Crew Abandon Ship

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: HTMS Sukhothai - Crew Abandon Ship

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 pm US warns Thai navy over HTMS 'Sukhothai' salvage

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ai-salvage
I doubt very much that there is much on the ship that the Chinese would be interested in! But it just goes to show the arrogrance of the higher echelons of the RTN!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

As a veteran of the US Navy, with A LOT of time at sea on an even much older ship than the Sukhothai, I’m still kinda scratching my head at how the hell they let the ship get flooded. If you do proper maintenance and follow protocol for watertight integrity, those things are unsinkable. Someone really screwed up.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Reading the report from the Bangkok Post..It seems there was quite a few areas of damage, & many listed as 'unidentifiable' ..Now I'm not a naval
expert, but after reading the post from Jack_Batty (& I DO believe him when he says a vessel can be sealed when in rough seas) it would seem there were areas of this ship/boat that simply could not withstand rough seas, & makes me think the Sukhothai was a rust-bucket..?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think in a vessel of that age, such rust is inevitable. Wasn't there an earlier report either saying repairs were overdue or such repairs had been neglected?

With a large amount of the fleet ageing, they should be doing an urgent inspection of other vessels.
At that time, the commander was unaware of the damaged wave breaker. Therefore, he decided to bring the corvette back to Sattahip even though it was far away, with an intention to save the ship.
He didn't know? Somebody not wanting to lose face? IMHO the person(s) withholding such vital information is/are responsible, and with 29 lives on their shoulders, I doubt they can sleep at night. Mind you, I'd imagine the wave breaker was visible through the bridge window :?

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here's another article saying the ship was only rated for seas up to 4 metres. For a warship. that sounds pretty poor.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sudden-cha ... -corvette/

Points 48; Position 20