Buying food items online, 'best before' dates

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Buying food items online, 'best before' dates

Post by 404cameljockey »

This is not a complaint, but a headsup for buyers on Lazada, Shopee, etc.

I bought some precooked Indian side dishes online (pav daal, tarka daal), the brands were Bikaji and Bikano. The prices looked reasonable although I have no idea what they should cost in a shop, if you could even find them in HH. One seller was offering two for one on a couple of items, on that I was dubious but thought I'd try.

As I thought, 'sell by/best before' dates were only 4-6 weeks in the future. Not a problem as I will refrigerate them to help arrest any deterioration, and use them fairly quickly anyway. Also I don't hold much stock in best before dates which are generally on the very conservative side, I know that some people are paranoid about these timestamps, my daughter for one. I judge milk by how it smells, not printed dates on bottles, and I've lived a long time now. :D

The only concern might be how items were stored, but even supermarkets have sold me stuff that has clearly been stored in a hot place and the product clearly shows it.

You get what you pay for!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying food items online, 'best before' dates

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d have thought that 4-6 weeks was not too bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:12 am I’d have thought that 4-6 weeks was not too bad?

I'd say premade dishes in sealed foil packs usually have a year?

The 'manufacturing date' on the Bikaji dishes is 4/4/2023, 'best before' 3/4/2024

So I misread, I have at least 10 weeks. :)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:12 am I’d have thought that 4-6 weeks was not too bad?

I'd say premade dishes in sealed foil packs usually have a year?

The 'manufacturing date' on the Bikaji dishes is 4/4/2023, 'best before' 3/4/2024

So I misread, I have at least 10 weeks. :)
I probably hadn’t quite realised the type of product so can understand what you were saying, albeit a bit longer than you had originally indicated - you’ll just have to pig out on Indian food for the next few weeks 😁