Bangkok Bank Internet banking vs. Mobile Banking.

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Bangkok Bank Internet banking vs. Mobile Banking.

Post by huahin4ever »

I just experienced something which I have never seen or heard of before. I tried to transfer 100K to my wife through my Bangkok Bank Mobile Banking App (Android) and it was stopped! I was asked to go to my nearest branch and identify myself before this transaction could take place. I have transferred funds to my wife probably 50 times with this app and never before been asked this. But never as large amount as 100k only typically 20k.

Well, I needed to transfer the 100k so I thought of doing it from one of my home country accounts until I remembered I could maybe try the Bualuang iBanking using my computer (Bangkok Bank's Internet Banking). Here the transfer went through immediately!

I really have a hard time understanding this since logging on to the Internet Banking only takes a username and pw. In the Mobile App you have to log in either with UN and PW or with biometric data such as fingerprint, and when transferring funds to other 3rd party accounts it needs to be confirmed with your 6 digit code. As you can probably see the mobile banking app is much safer than the Internet Banking imo!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
YNWA
PeteC

Re: Bangkok Bank Internet banking vs. Mobile Banking.

Post by PeteC »

The wife deals with Bangkok Bank on a limited basis for a small business she has. She mentions two things: 1) Make sure your daily limit to transfer out is set at or above what you're trying to transfer. 2) If it's over 50,000 you have to go in and have your face ID registered, as your face from your phone is needed as part of mobile transactions at or over 50,000.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

The rule for transfers over 50K was implemented several months ago
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Bubba1 wrote:The rule for transfers over 50K was implemented several months ago
Thanks for this info. I didn't know this. Anyway strange since the mobile bank app imo is safer since it asks for pw when confirming a transfer which the internet banking site do not ImageImageImage

YNWA

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:49 pm
Thanks for this info. I didn't know this. Anyway strange since the mobile bank app imo is safer since it asks for pw when confirming a transfer which the internet banking site do not ImageImageImage

YNWA
Fraud with mobile banking is 10 fold that of internet banking from your computer at home or office. Your bank knows your computer brand, your ops system version number, and the normal IP that you use. Change one of those and you'll probably get..."we don't recognize your computer...." Additional security questions will follow and-or sms/email with a special code you'll have to enter to confirm your identity.

The above comments are based upon experiences with western banking. I would think Thai banks follow the same security procedures,
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:04 pm
huahin4ever wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:49 pm

YNWA
Fraud with mobile banking is 10 fold that of internet banking from your computer at home or office. Your bank knows your computer brand, your ops system version number, and the normal IP that you use. Change one of those and you'll probably get..."we don't recognize your computer...." Additional security questions will follow and-or sms/email with a special code you'll have to enter to confirm your identity.

The above comments are based upon experiences with western banking. I would think Thai banks follow the same security procedures,
I wouldn't be too sure about that. When I did my transfer using Bangkok Bank Internet banking this time I did it from offshore in Africa and using VPN, but I used my regular laptop I use both in Thailand and at work :shock:
YNWA