Smart phones, not so smart operators

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Smart phones, not so smart operators

Post by Gregjam »

While phones are smart and digital payments the norm it seems that the general populace still has a way to go to catch up. It is very common to be held up while in the checkout queue by some pretty young thing who is probably an expert at photoshop or any of the beauty enhancing apps struggling to pay electronically for her shopping. Minutes wasted instead of a quick cash payment.
I can understand the older generation struggling but despair at those who have embraced modern technology for vanities sake but struggle to handle simple things like selecting which hdmi port is connected to the tv box so they can watch their moronic Lakorns.
The phrase “Google it” has become vital whenever many youngsters ask a question as they need a reminder of this resource.
We have so much technology available cheaply now but it seems a large swath of today’s youth are incapable of even reading the instructions.
Rant over and wishing everyone a happy and prosperous new year.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Smart phones, not so smart operators

Post by VincentD »

While I do pander to online banking, I'm old school in many respects. I'll still use an ATM card at the ATM, pay by cash or credit card at the supermarket, and prefer not to scan random QR codes for online payments. Though in the past few days have seen two older people using their smartphone at the ATM. One old lady was struggling, and after she had finished I just told her I preferred to use an ATM card instead. She agreed..
I'll move with the times, but at my own pace and comfort zone.
Cheers and Happy New Year too. :)
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'll use the QR in places like Makro that only accept their affiliate's bank cards, but I've never got the ATM withdrawal using the banking app to work, as you say, its quicker to throw in the card.

Not sure about the younguns being backwards with it, my kids are experts on the things!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Although I do like the convenience of paying per telephone (you type in the correct amount and there is no chance of getting the wrong change), I am a bit wary of the big brother aspect of it all. The banks know exactly what you are spending your money on and how much you are spending, This information can be passed on to the government (e.g. for tax purposes) or sold to anyone to use as they wish (advertising, fraud, etc.). The banks are not supposed to sell data but can they be trusted?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Precisely, wait till Thailand apes China and rolls out a CBDC (central bank digital currency), programmable money where the state can control what and where you spend.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

In the West now, almost everyone uses contactless cards in supermarkets and they're very quick and generally faster than paying with cash but I've noticed in Thailand a lot of people use these phone apps to pay and it does often seem to cause a delay.
If it's slower than paying with cash I can't see the point of it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:30 pm In the West now, almost everyone uses contactless cards in supermarkets and they're very quick and generally faster than paying with cash but I've noticed in Thailand a lot of people use these phone apps to pay and it does often seem to cause a delay.
If it's slower than paying with cash I can't see the point of it.
I’ve not gone digital in Thailand so still use cash when we go shopping, but in places like Makro where more and more seem to use their phone to pay, it’s generally a lot quicker than cash!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I guess that the thinking behind paying by anything other than cash is more secure. I must admit that I pay the majority of transactions by QR code. Even the majority of bars have this facility. I've not found it that slow. If there's a queue at a shop or supermarket, I've already got the app and scanned the QR before it's cashed up. Then all I have to do is key in the amount. Some systems, Makro, Villa actually pass the total back to your phone so all you have to do is confirm it.