Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Henry 14th »

Lost wrote:
Pagey wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:07 am
Lost wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:02 am "Full strength Arsenal ".:
No Timber, no Zinchenko, no Partey.

Kiwior starting and Kai Havertz ermmm, on the pitch.
Timber's only played 1 prem game for you. No significant run of form in first 11. I'm sure he'll be a starter after his injury, mind. Partey? The midfielders you have in his place are at the same standard or better. Kiwior to Zinchenko was a downgrade, I'll give you that one. :wink:
Partey, Rice, Odegaard is Arsenal’s most balanced and productive midfield.

We miss Partey a lot, big shame he’s so injury prone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Everton pull off a surprise 3-0 win against high-flying Newcastle and move out of the relegation zone - ( know someone who will be happy)!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Everton pull off a surprise 3-0 win against high-flying Newcastle and move out of the relegation zone - ( know someone who will be happy)!!
Yes, was concerned about the missing James Garner and change of formation but we forced Trippier into 2 errors from which we capitalised. Still had a lot to do mind you and eventually showed some quality in front of goal.

Calvert Lewin with the miss of season earlier on!

And the third came after a 30 pass move!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK, I'm not one who knows all the rules in the sport, but WTF?! A Palace player goes down in the Penalty Box, but play is waved on - only for it to be stopped nigh on 2 MINUTES LATER for the ref to check "The Screen/VAR" for a penalty to be awarded after all. Seems absolutely ludicrous to me - perhaps now I'm getting a better idea of why people are pi$$ed off with VAR!

Just to add to the BS, everybody thought it was a clear penalty in the first instance, so how could it take the VAR/Match Official so long to comment/advise the Ref? What would have happened if Liverpool scored a goal after the foul but before VAR came in? Would the penalty have been given and the Liverpool goal disallowed/cancelled? Or the foul ignored and the Liverpool goal given?

All seems tits up to me....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, a decent weekend so far as the EPL is concerned - Liverpool win, Man U dismantled, The Arse lose...... Just needs City and of course Spurs to go down and a decent weekend 'twas (or could be)! :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:13 am Just needs [...] Spurs to go down and a decent weekend 'twas (or could be)! :thumb:
Why would you say such a hurtful thing?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:03 am
pharvey wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:13 am Just needs [...] Spurs to go down and a decent weekend 'twas (or could be)! :thumb:
Why would you say such a hurtful thing?
Sorry :oops: .... Just thought it was compulsory to mention Spurs and.... :wink: :duck:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Despite having by far the greater possession in the game, Chelsea were undone by Everton who continue to defy the odds and climb away from the relegation zone.

Elsewhere, Spurs ended up comfortable winners against Newcastle, although it could have been different had Newcastle put away a couple of early chances - after that, it was almost all one-way traffic with Son in particular outstanding.

City managed a 2-1 win against Luton but still not reaching the heights of last season.

Fulham had another very comfortable win, by 5 goals to nil.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Despite having by far the greater possession in the game, Chelsea were undone by Everton who continue to defy the odds and climb away from the relegation zone.

Elsewhere, Spurs ended up comfortable winners against Newcastle, although it could have been different had Newcastle put away a couple of early chances - after that, it was almost all one-way traffic with Son in particular outstanding.

City managed a 2-1 win against Luton but still not reaching the heights of last season.

Fulham had another very comfortable win, by 5 goals to nil.
We give everyone the greater possession and then often beat them, especially recently.

We haven't got the players for City type possession, Dyche knows how to play to our strengths(counter attack as per 1st goal).

I predicted 70% Chelsea, it was 72% in the end.... not a bad guess

Won 9 of last 13 games all comps and 90% of the deducted points back in 1 week. Only 4 teams have conceded fewer goals

Talking of odds these are the relegation odds now
Screenshot_2023-12-11-10-28-11-468_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-11-10-28-11-468_com.android.chrome.jpg (39.52 KiB) Viewed 1599 times

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read somewhere that Newcastle has most of it's starting lineup out with injuries. They apparently have been playing the same 10 men for the last 5 straight matches. :shock: No wonder they run out of gas quite quickly.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s a well known adage - the bookies are correct more often than they’re wrong!!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:I read somewhere that Newcastle has most of it's starting lineup out with injuries. They apparently have been playing the same 10 men for the last 5 straight matches. :shock: No wonder they run out of gas quite quickly.
Yes, they’re injured team if back fit, would probably beat most teams in the league so it’s no surprise that they’re struggling.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:45 am I read somewhere that Newcastle has most of it's starting lineup out with injuries. They apparently have been playing the same 10 men for the last 5 straight matches. :shock: No wonder they run out of gas quite quickly.
A strange concept to an old timer. I remember the days when the team that won the league was the team that could consistently field the same side week after week for the whole season.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

What about Ten Hag sacked by Wednesday night?

Anyone available to replace him?

Any United fans on here?

Hands off Sean Dyche! ImageImage

Personally I think he'll be given a bit more time
Screenshot_20231211-192938.jpg
Screenshot_20231211-192938.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think Pochettino will go if we dont beat Sheffield United. I can't see any other outcome.
Talk is cheap