At this moment in time...(expressions that P*** us off)

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
pharvey

Re: At this moment in time...(expressions that P*** us off)

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:07 am "The proof is in the pudding"

No it chuffin' isn't!! I hear this so often and it always makes me fume! :cuss: It makes no sense at all. What proof are we talking about? That would be the proof OF the pudding, which is in the eating... <deep breath> rant over, relief all round.
Oh come on DM..... Why wouldn't it be "The proof is in the pudding"? After all Ye of Little Faith Kitchen Knowhow :duck: :wink: "Proofing" is where you allow the dough to rest and rise before baking...... Good God man!!

So, I guess you weren't aware of that.... :duck:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Honestly, Krup and Ka! Does anyone realize how much time is wasted with those 2 needless words, and they are nothing but an honorific! Do we say Mr., Mrs., Sir, Madam every 4th or 5th word when addressing someone. Does any other country in the world?

Watch Thai movies, shows and/or the News and your eyes will spin. Again, obviously the upper class setting the rules in post slavery days, and it still sticks. :banghead: Those in a perceived higher station don't use it at all when talking to anyone judged as a lower status.

The other side of the world, "It has to be said", and variations. Perhaps, but just SAY it, whatever it is doesn't need an introduction why you're saying it. I thought it was just British, but I've heard it listening to Scotland radio as well. It's UK wide apparently.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:28 pm I thought it was just British, but I've heard it listening to Scotland radio as well.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Aaaaand another that seems to have crept in over the last few years.
How are you?
I'm good thanks.

NO YOU'RE NOT, YOU MORON!!! You're well or fine. Or dying, of course.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:42 pm
PeteC wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:28 pm I thought it was just British, but I've heard it listening to Scotland radio as well.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
And there you have it, the Scots as well as the Welsh and NI are not British then......? Some may say it's a God send not to be linked with the English!! :wink: Oh come on, just having a giggle... :thumb: :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:39 am Aaaaand another that seems to have crept in over the last few years.
How are you?
I'm good thanks.

NO YOU'RE NOT, YOU MORON!!! You're well or fine. Or dying, of course.
I could be GOOD! Oh yes I could - hell, that's the starting point on another thread!! My response is "Not Too Bad Thanks, And You.." Dying perhaps an option, but not "Well" or "Fine" - must be a poncy saying...... :D :wink: :duck: