R.I.P. Bobby Charlton

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Dannie Boy »

Growing up in the 60’s, Bobby Charlton was my all time hero - great footballer, great sportsman and a legend - RIP!!
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

R.I.P. Bobby Charlton

Post by HarryVardon »

It is sad to see that Bobby Charlton has passed, but he had a good (and sometimes lucky (1958)) life. I watched him when he made his debut for Manchester United and many times after that. He was a very elegant player. Although he made many mistakes (losing the ball after a bad pass, trying to dribble past one player too many) he more than made up for it with the good things he did. He has been called the best player England ever had but I don't think Bobby would agree with that. I have heard him in many interviews state that Duncan Edwards was the best player in the world he ever played with or against (and that includes the greatest of all time). I agree with him 100%. Duncan was my idol when I was young. In the glory days I would have also put Law and Best above him although they weren't English. I can remember many beautiful goals from Bobby, swerving left and right and then crack into the top corner. There is nobody like him today. R.I.P.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: R.I.P. Bobby Charlton

Post by 404cameljockey »

RIP to a consummate 'forward' (as we called them). I was happy when he and Jackie finally resolved their longstanding dispute.

I'm not old enough to recall seeing Edwards play, the best England player I saw in the 60s and 70s was Moore, I'm more impressed by the brains of playmakers and game directors than goal scorers and dribble wizards, who of course sometimes have their own genius as you say.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What stood out for me was Bobby Charlton as a humble human being, as well as being a gifted talent. And yes he wasn’t alone, Bobby Moore was one of the best defenders ever to grace a football field - he often didn’t have to make a tackle because his positioning allowed him to intercept the ball and make it look so easy. George Best probably the most gifted player ever, but his downfall was women and booze - just think what he could have achieved with Charlton’s demeanour? And of course, possibly the greatest goalkeeper ever in Gordon Banks, robbed of true stardom by that fateful car crash and losing the sight in one eye.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HarryVardon wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:23 pm I watched him when he made his debut for Manchester United
And I watched him when he made his last appearance as a United player, at Stamford Bridge.

The ground was packed, so much so, that my mate and I couldnt get in at the Shed End as the gates were closed, so we ran to the United end and squeezed in as the gates were being shut there. Loads were locked out. We watched the game clinging to the rainings of the old West stand. The game being won by a fluke from Peter Osgood.

I recall that the then Chelsea chairman (and traitor), Brian Mears, made a presentation to Charlton before the game of a very plush solid silver cigarette lighter, which I thought really cheap and crass, and the shock of realising that such a great player as Charlton, was a life-long smoker.

He was some player, though!

RIP
Talk is cheap
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I agree that Bobby Moore was a very good player but he might not have been playing for England if the Munich air crash had not happened. Duncan Edwards would certainly have been captain. As well as Duncan Edwards, England also lost Rodger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, Johnny Berry, Tommy Taylor and David Pegg in the disaster. They would have probably won the world cup in 1962 if Munich hadn't happened. Bobby Charlton started playing for England after the Munich crash.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just watched a programme called - “Sir Bobby Charlton: The First Gentleman of Football” on BBC iPlayer, I’d recommend it to anyone who has a love for the game!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm not doubting his ability whatsoever, the guy was brilliant on TV; but I only saw him play in the flesh a couple of times in his twilight years for England, and once against Plymouth in a FA Cup tie. He never impressed when I saw him play.

Most definitely a sad loss to the sport.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20