TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just finished watching Hijack and whilst I thought it was ok, a bid drawn out and would only give it about 6/10.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I’ve just finished watching Hijack and whilst I thought it was ok, a bid drawn out and would only give it about 6/10.
Fair enough.

I've read a couple of articles that say it was a bigger hit than that though for the producers and they're negotiating a second series.

Perhaps he gets hijacked again!!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I do find that It’s getting harder to find things I really enjoy, and I just found it all a little be too unreal - I realise it wasn’t trying to depict a real life reenactment but I’m sure that in a real life situation the jet would have been shot down well before it managed to fly over the centre of London!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I do find that It’s getting harder to find things I really enjoy, and I just found it all a little be too unreal - I realise it wasn’t trying to depict a real life reenactment but I’m sure that in a real life situation the jet would have been shot down well before it managed to fly over the centre of London!!
"I do find that It’s getting harder to find things I really enjoy"

Me too!

I might start Peaky Blinders as I've never watched it....

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

How time flies - the first season of PB is nigh on 10 years old and my view was that it started off good, then got better, but the last two seasons it went downhill - no doubt others may disagree but definitely one worth watching.

It might be better to watch this after you’ve binged the seven series of PB, but the BBC also have two 1 hour programmes called The real Peaky Blinders, obviously based on real life events, which I found fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:How time flies - the first season of PB is nigh on 10 years old and my view was that it started off good, then got better, but the last two seasons it went downhill - no doubt others may disagree but definitely one worth watching.

It might be better to watch this after you’ve binged the seven series of PB, but the BBC also have two 1 hour programmes called The real Peaky Blinders, obviously based on real life events, which I found fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noted with thanks

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:52 am I've had a little downloading blitz recently and have just watched the first episode of Mr Mercedes. There are 3 seasons, starting in 2018. It stars the splendidly grumpy Irishman Brendan Gleeson as an unhappily retired detective and based on ep 1 it's well worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Mercedes_(TV_series)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4354880/
Retired detective Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved case of "Mr. Mercedes", who claimed 16 lives when he drove a stolen Mercedes through a line of job-seekers at a local job fair. Meanwhile, brilliant young psychopath Brady Hartsfield emerges to focus his attention on Hodges. What begins as an online cat-and-mouse game soon has deadly real-life consequences as an increasingly desperate Hartsfield becomes bent on leaving his mark on the world.
Well, I've finished season 1 (10 episodes). It was excellent on many levels, at times funny, then tragic, then creepy, but over it all towers the splendid Brendan Gleeson. I think the most disturbing aspect of all is the fact that his character often reminds me of me...

If you haven't tried this before, watch it. I defy you not to enjoy. Now, I'm off to get season 2.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Black Bird, Apple TV+, downloaded from eztv. 6 ep crime mini-series based on a true story. Excellent. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, well-deserved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bird_(miniseries)
Black Bird is an American crime drama miniseries developed by Dennis Lehane, based on the 2010 autobiographical novel In with the Devil: a Fallen Hero, a Serial Killer, and a Dangerous Bargain for Redemption by James Keene with Hillel Levin.[1] The six-episode miniseries premiered on July 8, 2022, on Apple TV+.[2][3] The series received critical acclaim with particular praise toward Jimmy Keene's original story and its cast.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Sorry if I've mentioned this before, but while I'm here, one for Justified fans. It's essentially the next series, but 15 years later...
Justified: City Primeval

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justified:_City_Primeval
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

For fans of "The Boys", Series 1 of "GEN Z" has just started on Amazon Prime - only a few episodes in so far, but it's good fun! I'm guessing should be available through the usual suspects. :thumb:

"From the world of "The Boys" comes "Gen V," which explores the first generation of superheroes to know that their super powers are from Compound V. These heroes put their physical and moral boundaries to the test competing for the school's top ranking."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13159924/? ... nm_3_q_gen

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:51 pm Sorry if I've mentioned this before, but while I'm here, one for Justified fans. It's essentially the next series, but 15 years later...
Justified: City Primeval
Will have a look at that one. Murder mysteries are not my thing!

Currently working through:

Wheel of Time season 2 - magic, witches, and monsters, pure fantasy escapism.

The Winter King - epic Arthurian tale loosely based on Bernard Cornwell's "Warlord Chronicles" trilogy.

The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon - the latest iteration of the Walking Dead universe.

Will be starting on:

The Witcher - three seasons deep now and I haven't seen the first one.

The Continental - explores the origin of the iconic hotel-for-assassins centerpiece of the John Wick universe. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6486762/

Billy the Kid - who doesn't like a good ol' western. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14586544/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:Black Bird, Apple TV+, downloaded from eztv. 6 ep crime mini-series based on a true story. Excellent. 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, well-deserved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Bird_(miniseries)
Black Bird is an American crime drama miniseries developed by Dennis Lehane, based on the 2010 autobiographical novel In with the Devil: a Fallen Hero, a Serial Killer, and a Dangerous Bargain for Redemption by James Keene with Hillel Levin.[1] The six-episode miniseries premiered on July 8, 2022, on Apple TV+.[2][3] The series received critical acclaim with particular praise toward Jimmy Keene's original story and its cast.
Yes agreed very good acting

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

To clarify (info via another thread)

The Jimmy Saville drama of 2023(not netflix 2022 documentary) is called The Reckoning and is on bbc/I player

Stars Steve Coogan and is out now

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I would class it as a drama with a smattering of documentary as it includes clips of JS and interviews with his victims. Brilliantly well made and acted all round. Will be interested to see if it appears in the awards season.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.